First ever duck hunt

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

First ever duck hunt

Post by Southern Sportsman »

My son will be 4 years old in May. This spring he cried a few times when I couldn’t take him turkey hunting, but I promised he would be going with me soon. He has asked me about duck hunting since season started. A couple weeks ago we had a sunny 65 degree day, and I told/convinced my wife we were going hunting. He absolutely loved riding in the boat and watching the dog, but mostly blowing the duck call I gave him. He’ll probably always call too much just lke his dad. He stayed without complaint for over 4 hours. Powdered doughnuts and red gatorade have staying power. We didn’t kill many, but more than enough. I was born lucky and have family with excellent duck ground, so I’ve been on some world-class hunts over the last 20+ years. Never one better than this one. He’s my oldest, so getting to hunt with my own kid is brand new to me. This is going to be fun.

I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: First ever duck hunt

Post by guesswho »

That's cool! Enjoy, they grow up fast. And you can't call to much. If you don't kill one you just didn't call enough!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

You will never, ever forget those moments. Been taking my 11 yo son since he was 3 1/2, you want to see an "expert" ! Absolutely the best times ! If I could politely suggest 1 thing, please protect those little ears, I use the noise cancelling ear muffs on my son, he can hear me talking to him and it cancels the blast of the gun. Again great times with him.
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
jryser

Post by jryser »

That brought joyful tears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Some of my earliest memories are of the times spent in duck blinds with my Dad. I was tagging along with him at about the same age as your son, and I can definitely credit those hunts with helping to shape me into the person I am right now...over 50 years later. Congrats on starting your kids out right!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Nothing better than taking your own kids hunting
Duck hunting is a great way to get them into the hunting mode

Most awesome and thanks for sharing!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
jryser

Post by jryser »

My son in law took me on my first ever duck hunt today!!! I think I was as giddy as Hollis!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chipper

Post by chipper »

Enjoy that time buddy, my baby is 19 now and has other things on his mind but I sure do enjoy it when we hunt together. They grow up way too fast.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Bring em' up right as they grow up fast!! :thumbup:

Id' say ya' got the making of a "World Champion of Champions", duck callin' fella' there!! :D
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
mattsylvia

Post by mattsylvia »

Didn't expect to come across such a lovely content. Family thing!
mattsylvia

Post by mattsylvia »

Having grown up in a family with ducks all around, it's times hunting with my dad that I'll never forget. Just remember that when hunting with your kids, you are not only responsible for yourself, but also for their welfare. That’s why safety is a key concern. Installing a good duck emergency app, such as duc.kr https://www.duc.kr/ for instance, is an absolute must-have. In that case, even if something unexpected happens, with duc.kr you can share your location, ask for help via its SOS feature (which alerts nearby Duckr users as well as an emergency contact that you are in need of assistance), and check the nearby tidal stations.
misfire

Post by misfire »

Awesome! My son started hunting with me on turkey hunts when he was 4. I never expected to kill a bird, and to be honest, it wasnt about that. It was all about getting him out in the woods and enjoying time with him. He is 25 now and he and I are still the best hunting partners.
Muzzy61

Post by Muzzy61 »

Those pictures are awesome, thanks for sharing. My grandson turns 4 next month, and waiting to get him a turkey blind.
Deputy 14

Post by Deputy 14 »

That’s great man. That’s an experience I’m sure he will never forget, and will probably ruin his wallet in his adult future.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Cool. I still remember the first hunt I took my daughter own. Great memories.
Mike

Return to “Gobbler Talk”