Sept. 30 Fall Turkey

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Moore

Sept. 30 Fall Turkey

Post by Moore »

Hi there,
Here is a photo of my very first fall turkey. I took him at 35yds with my bow. It was a two year old Tom it weight 18lbs 7in beard and little over 1/2 Spurs. He came in with three other long beards. I missed his buddy but later one with a few Yelp my bird and his other on came in. I shot him as he was quartering away from me. I could believe it started to fly. I notice I did break his leg so he wouldn't go far. I watched him to see where I would have to pick up the hunt. As he got about thirty yds over the tree line he fell like a ton of bricks in the swamp. It was slow going to get to him, but with nockturnal lighted nocks really help me to follow and recover him. I must say I love bow hunting turkeys. The rage trypan really did a number on him.
Attachments
IMG_20180930_183718259~2.jpg
Grizzfrictionwood

Re: Sept. 30 Fall Turkey

Post by Grizzfrictionwood »

Moore wrote:Hi there,
Here is a photo of my very first fall turkey. I took him at 35yds with my bow. It was a two year old Tom it weight 18lbs 7in beard and little over 1/2 Spurs. He came in with three other long beards. I missed his buddy but later one with a few Yelp my bird and his other on came in. I shot him as he was quartering away from me. I could believe it started to fly. I notice I did break his leg so he wouldn't go far. I watched him to see where I would have to pick up the hunt. As he got about thirty yds over the tree line he fell like a ton of bricks in the swamp. It was slow going to get to him, but with nockturnal lighted nocks really help me to follow and recover him. I must say I love bow hunting turkeys. The rage trypan really did a number on him.
Nice congrats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats, Moore! Nicely done.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Good job, well done.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Shooting them with a bow is a whole new ball game! I need a scatter gun!! :lol:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I have killed a few with bow. It’s an accomplishment but I truly rather just shoot them in the head with a gun

Congrats on your first fall gobbler!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I couldn’t hit a barn with an arrow. Even if I was inside of it!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good job. Congrats
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Moore

Post by Moore »

Thanks fellas,
Here in MN the spring turkey season is messed up the way they have it. I decide to able to spend more times in the woods archery is the only way to do it. I'm able to hunt form the second weekend of April to May 31. This is My Third turkey with a bow. 30 is the farthest I have take a bird. Opening day of the 2018 spring season and I shot at a bird 40 and kid you not the dang arrow bounced off of that tom, after that hunt I switch to be different broad heads. That tom was fine. Lol my was with me and I was taking him back to the truck to warm up and that bird came running back out to my field. The dang bird had a coyote on his back. My son and I were in shock, and he is six and had no idea what was going on. The coyote saw us and stopped on a dime and booked out of there. My turkey that I shot at ran right by us at 20yds and I had left my bow in the blind because my son's feet were freezing, because it was 30 degrees that morning. That Tom was fine as I seen him cross the field over the highway into another property. That is one hunt my son and I remember. I'm changing my setup next spring so I will be able to run and gun or run and arrow.
jryser

Post by jryser »

hoobilly wrote:I have killed a few with bow. It’s an accomplishment but I truly rather just shoot them in the head with a gun

Congrats on your first fall gobbler!
Same! And serious props to you with an archery kill! It’s a lot different isn’t it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Gobbler Talk”