Loggers

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Prospector

Loggers

Post by Prospector »

Just wondering: do you guys have the same experience with Loggers and Logging? Mississippi ‘s cash crop is timber and as a deer hunter I know all the new growth and cover support our Whitetails ( as a dedicated Turkey hunter I don’t quite feel the same...). But, are they as messy and disrespectful everywhere else? On leases I hunt they leave their trash, hydraulic fluid buckets and even 100gallon sprayer tanks in the woods. They ve ruined stands, pushed over shoothouses and ruined food plots. I mean I know they have to work but it goes beyond that... Hard to be real understanding when a place you love gets raized and no consideration for a fellow user is shown....thanks for the shoulder to cry on.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Loggers

Post by Hoobilly »

down in Ky we had loggers on a property next to ours work. They had a major mess! I talked to my buddy who is friends with the property owner. We got ahold of the logger and I spoke with him telling him the mess they left at our properties intersection needs to be cleaned up asap or I was going to the county and pressing charges. I told him it had to be done before I went back north to Indiana. He apologized and they immediately the next day and cleaned it all up. When my dad had some timbering done on his property I told the logger we used that he had to do it by the book and keep his trash cleaned up. They did good.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
jryser

Post by jryser »

I’ve seen both here in Indiana. Thanks for the advice to threaten calling the county. I wasn’t sure what to do with folks who ruin properties. If you watch @cove Pinhoti Project, he’s been Hunting Public land in Washington State - even though the logging land is razed hard, there’s no trash or human evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

At my old lease, we had loggers use one of our clover plots as a loading deck for the back side of the property. They covered the plot in bark, sawdust, left odd shaped logs & limbs piled up and made horrendous ruts with hydraulic fluid & oil spills in what used to be a pristine, killer clover patch. They were supposed to load about 250 yards east up the logging road, but decided our food plot would work better. It also beat down and compacted the soil that we'd worked years to bring along to where it was good for growing. The land owner absolutely freaked out, was hopping up & down mad, and railed he!! with the logging company. They came back and root raked & pushed some debris off to the side and leveled the ruts with a dozer, (which compacted the soil further) but that's about it. We ended up picking up their oil jugs, cans, bottles, cigarette packs, & trash left from lunches. We even found several piles of used T.P. in the woods where some of them had been doing the wild bear thing. Nevermind that we had a perfectly fine outhouse beside the cabin less than 500 yards away. The up side is that the twisted log pile and pushed up soil got converted into a sweet turkey blind, that many birds have been killed from since and the wider logging road has become a deer & turkey highway.

Jim
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Nope, but this timber company is unusually easy to get along with. It throws me off, how reasonable they are compared to others.

I do remember one club where the pres. was aggressive about making sure WHO among the various cutting crews the timber company sent. The ones that did that were stopped from doing the work on that tract. It was several thousand acres, though. If it is a big lease with a good history you may have some say in who does the cutting.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

When I used to moose hunt a couple years the loggers would put their trailer across a road to stop guys from going further and keep the area to themselves. One year a buddy who is built like a defensive end wrapped a chain around one of their trailers front and pulled it out into the ditch he was some mad and they all just backed away from him !
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

We( Leasees) have no such rights. We see the ol compacted soil loading ramp too bc most of plots are loading ramps. Lately they gotten bad to cut a ditch across known plots as they leave... To be fair though I have had treestands spared by most companies but I just can’t understand the mess they leave with some of the destruction that does happen. Timber is King here and the loggers do the kings bidding without consideration for other lowly serfs.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

I live in pine timber country. My experiences mimic Prospectors.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

With the spraying of the cutovers now I don’t even think it’s helping the deer near as much as it once did either.

So it’s not good for deer or turkeys I don’t think now days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

what p!55e5 me off is when they cut down mature white oaks and just leave them. no problem finding a 5gal hydraulic fluid jug to sit on here either.
El Sicario
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Yes Sir. Same here, guess those old monarchs will shade out pine seedlings. As for the spraying, doesn’t seem to hurt deer here. They breed like rabbits lol. But even with our hi #’s daytime movement can be sporadic: food, water& security cover all in a matter of a few acres. No need to move far so a lot of old timers think their are fewer deer than before....
MAK

Post by MAK »

Cousin had black walnut timbered on his property timber crew left a mess with widow makers everywhere

I was looking up more than anywhere else

They had a dozer break down and it took a year of nagging until they finally came back to get It
MAK
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

MAK wrote: October 8th, 2018, 7:44 am Cousin had black walnut timbered on his property timber crew left a mess with widow makers everywhere

They had a dozer break down and it took a year of nagging until they finally came back to get It
I wouldn’t have nagged. When they eventually, if ever came back I would have parted it out
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Yes it is bad in Pa.. In the last 15 years hear in Pa. it has gone from select cutting to Cut what ever you can to pay the cutting lease, then all the good wood is profit. This leaves nothing but slashings with no mast crops. Bear have exploded hear in Pa. due to the thick cover and very little hunting pressure to get through these slashings. As far as the deer go the point restriction is leaving a ton of Zhitty bucks running around and breeding the does.
MAK

Post by MAK »

hoobilly wrote: October 8th, 2018, 8:14 am
MAK wrote: October 8th, 2018, 7:44 am Cousin had black walnut timbered on his property timber crew left a mess with widow makers everywhere

I wouldn’t have nagged. When they eventually, if ever came back I would have parted it out

I told him to send them letter stating storage rent would b equal to scrap value if they didn’t come get it in 30 days
MAK
coconut

Post by coconut »

Had a crew thinning some pine 2 years ago. I was talking with one of them while he was eating his lunch on my farm. He was telling me how good they were going to take care of everything. Then he gets through with his lunch and proceeds to throw the bag with empty drink and Vienna cans in the woods. Asked him if he threw trash in his yard and he said no but this is the woods.
Finally figured out how to deal with them though. When they promise how they are not going to throw there trash everywhere or bury it or leave hydraulic buckets or change there oil on the ground, get them to sign a performance bond stating this. Need about 10000 deposit. Make sure this covers the truck drivers as well because if you don’t they will blame everything on them. After this is signed they either take care of there mess or landowner picks up trash at about 500 per hour.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”