single shot turkey guns

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Shep

single shot turkey guns

Post by Shep »

Hi guys could use a little help. Looking to buy a new turkey gun, my old Mossberg 835 is big and heavey. I want smaller and lighter, I have been looking at the Thompson/center Encore Pro Hunter. How bad is the recoil in the 12 gauge Pro Hunter? Any suggestions? :dontknow:
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: single shot turkey guns

Post by Turkey Talker »

New england break away my friend!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I may get blasted if their is any TC Faithful on here, but IMO its way overpriced.. I agree with TT as far as a straight up turkey gun, an NEF is everything that TC is at a way smaller price, plus the NEF even ejects shells where the TC has extractors.. Recoil in any single 12 with a full blown turkey load is pretty vicious..

I dont know how close you follow the gun boards, but a better option may be a 20 gauge.. With the newer 7s the 20gauge will do anything a 12 will at 50 and in.. Plus you have the bonus of less recoil and in most cases lighter weight.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I'd go with an H&R/NEF, also.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I would certainly agree that New England is the way to go. Of course, I'd get a 20ga. I have had both, TC and New England. TC is WAY overpriced for a turkey gun, IMO. And, both guns have the same choke system, so no advantage there.
I built a New England 20ga into a great little turkey gun, but I hardly ever tote it. I call it "The Ugly Stick". :D

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Mike, that NE is bad ass!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Another vote for the NEF. Here's another Ugly Stick, except I opted for the 10ga. I figured if a twinky gauge (aka 20 gauge) would kill'em, then a 10 would kill'em twice as dead.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

Twinky gauges are still overkill. In the hands of a skilled hunter a Rossi.410 is all that is needed. :D
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

I Like the Encore :D
Attachments
laptop6 257 (640x427).jpg
laptop6 257 (640x427).jpg (269.13 KiB) Viewed 21581 times
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I'm taking a different tack on a single shot. I've narrowed it down to a Baikal MP18 or Savage 220A. I'll get photos up this weekend on the "before" guns. My recently acquired Savage is in great shape so I probably will opt for the Baikal. The Savage has seen little use. We'll see....I am chosing between these two guns because they are hammerless. Cheaperthandirt has the 20 gauge Baikal for $91 and $11 shipped to my LGS. Delivery is scheduled tomorrow.

I'm going for 20 gauge. Yes, it's overkill with TSS 9s, but I'll probably shoot the 1 oz. load. I'll add a red dot, sling, and a Sumtoy choke and have the forcing cone lengthened. I'll probably paint it myself. The Baikal comes with a recoil pad and synthetic stock. I'll probably also have trigger work as needed. Cheaperthandirt has the 12 and .410 as well. The .410 is $110. Remington labeled these guns as the SPR 100. Some folks may be turned off by the way it breaks open, but then it's not that much different than the Encore lever-trigger housing mechanism although it uses a separate lever behind the trigger guard. I shot TC's competitively years ago and enjoyed them. The Encore is somewhat pricey. Don't be misled by the weight quote on the MP18. It doesn't weigh 9 lbs, but is closer to 5.25 lbs. The specifications were mis-translated from the Russian. The Baikal has selectable ejector/extractor.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Vital statistics on Baikal MP18 26" bbl vs. Savage 220A 28" bbl
wgt: Baikal 5 lbs., 5.7 oz.
Savage 5 lbs. .7 oz.

Barrel thickness at muzzle: Savage: .078"
Baikal: .110"

Choke: Savage: .590
Baikal: .600

Barrel OD at 26": Savage: .747"
Baikal: .820"

Despite a 5 oz. heavier wgt., the Baikal makes a better platform for modification for me. YMMV. Thicker steel in the barrel, modern steel; 3" chamber, synthetic stock and I don't feel bad about painting and cutting up the Baikal compared with a gun that might be older than I am. The Savage has a very nice trigger; the Baikal okay, but with a little creep. That can be remedied. At $91, it's a very good deal. The barrel is overbuilt. I've seen a London proof house report where a Baikal 12 gauge was test fired with a 20 gauge shell in front of the 12 gauge. Slow motion photography showed slight expansion at muzzle with no damage and a return to shape as the loads passed through. I hope to get the gun to Sumtoy in a couple of weeks for barrel and choke work. Here's the photos. Most impressive is muzzle to muzzle. That's some serious steel in the Baikal.

Last edited by GLS on June 17th, 2012, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

that looks like a winner!

can't wait to see it finished up and punching paper!
that price, then the extra work thrown in with tubes etc, thats still gonna be a cheap turkey gun.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
REHH

Post by REHH »

The problem I've heard with the Baikal is the barrel break sits right in front of your fingers, causes bruised and damaged fingers, people often have to get the release modified to help stop the pain.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

REHH wrote:The problem I've heard with the Baikal is the barrel break sits right in front of your fingers, causes bruised and damaged fingers, people often have to get the release modified to help stop the pain.
I'd be interested in hearing more about this. What is the mod?
spiderman

Post by spiderman »

another vote for the NEF/H&R 20ga
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I think the NE arms handi-rifle can be sent back to factory and they will fit a shotgun barrel of your choice of guages and chokes for it, hence you will have a good accurate rifle and the ability to interchange barrels to a shot gun.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Here is a picture of my daughters Youth Model NEF 20 gauge full turkey shotgun. I have thought about tapping in for choke and putting red dot on it. Image Image
Mike
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I like that gun Mike!
send it off and have it threaded!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Gobbler Talk”