Calling In Spring Gobblers Before Opening Date On Land With No Hunting.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
quavers16

Calling In Spring Gobblers Before Opening Date On Land With No Hunting.

Post by quavers16 »

I am thinking of doing this next Spring for the first time. Maybe try to film a Tom coming in. Dress up in drab Earth tones. Plenty of State Land in my area where Hunting is not allowed. Anybody here has tryed this in past Springs?
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Calling In Spring Gobblers Before Opening Date On Land With No Hunting.

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Ive done it on private I hunt, had a pile of film but my truck got broke into and they took camera and sd cards
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I haven't, but I did see a couple crackheads in Michigan on a street corner watching tape on a camcorder of some guy doing it.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

:LMAO: so they were coming back from stlouis
guesswho wrote: July 21st, 2018, 2:22 pm I haven't, but I did see a couple crackheads in Michigan on a street corner watching tape on a camcorder of some guy doing it.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

:toothy7: :LMAO:
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

I mainly just listen in the spring and move on to the next spot. I have taken kids out early to get them acclimated to a bird coming in, but I try to stay on property that no one can hunt.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I've heard stories over the years about game wardens ticketing folks calling up birds pre-season with allegations that they were hunting. I don't know if it was garbage talk, but the stories were around. Probably just rural legends. Gil
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I don't think I have ever heard of closed state land here, why is your state land closed.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I sometimes go practice calling at the State Park a few miles down the road from me. Most of the time gobblers are already busy with hens by the time the park opens and I usually only get courtesy gobbles back. Every now & then a lone gobbler will play along. It is a great way to listen for hen talk if they're being vocal. That section of park has hiking trails along the river and I usually have to move off the trail to get away from river noise and keep hikers from messing with my fun. I've called hikers and coyotes in a few times too. I take a camera & tripod along so nobody thinks I'm hunting.

Jim
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I don't trust myself to start calling early.. I may forget when the season actually starts
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

When I call there is a gun in my hands.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

If you have the time and the inclination, there’s really no reason not to do it on ground nobody can hunt.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Grumpy wrote: July 21st, 2018, 5:50 pm I don't think I have ever heard of closed state land here, why is your state land closed.
Western states are a different world. Around here state ground consists of small parcels sprinkled throughout the state. Sometimes only a few hundred acres or less. Many are open to hunting with the statewide season, but many are not for a variety of reasons.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Hi Grumpy --- I am from New York. Far too much State Land here is closed to hunting. Harriman State Park is a good example. Almost 45,000 acres! Hiking only. Plenty of deer here--- but so many that most seem on the small side. Plenty of wild Turkey as well.Highland Lakes State Park is another that has no hunting allowed. Plenty of homes right on its edge. Slip out the back door for deer and turkey season with Bows probably . 4 miles from where, I live is Goosepond My. State Park. No hunting. Palisades Interstate Park Commission manages these areas.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Hello quavers16, we have those state parks too but there is also plenty of open state land. We have to buy a state land license for a couple of bucks that allows us to hunt, fish and trap on state land even if it is leased out for farm or ranch use. The northern tier of Montana has a section (640 acres) every 7th square mile aka school trust lands,plenty of upland game birds just no turkeys in that area, most is farm ground but plenty is native pasture too. One doesn't even need permission to hunt it because it belongs to every resident in the state. State parks are closed but the land around them is mostly open. South of Havre, Mt. there is the largest "county" park in the U.S., over 10,000 acres but closed to hunting but as it is in the middle of the Bear Paw Mnts. the turkeys are all thru that mountain range. my honey hole is just on the edge of those mountains on private property and has plenty of turkeys.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

hoobilly wrote: July 21st, 2018, 10:18 pm I don't trust myself to start calling early.. I may forget when the season actually starts
This
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

guesswho wrote: July 21st, 2018, 2:22 pm I haven't, but I did see a couple crackheads in Michigan on a street corner watching tape on a camcorder of some guy doing it.
:LMAO: :LMAO: Good one!

I had a couple of guys TRY to steal my video equipment one time,...until they realized I had a 30.06 with me and they were in range. :mrgreen: :toothy7:

As for calling those unhunted turkeys,....call to them all you want to, and do it often. You will soon learn why it is best not to call to turkeys you are going to hunt before the season starts.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Whats even funnier is that those crackheads followed Tom all the way from Michigan to St. Louis to steal his stuff ! :slap:

By the way I call all year to the birds I hunt on the 2 farms I have access to but they are dumb because it never seems to bother them much and they still come in during the actual season. :dontknow:
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

timbrhuntr wrote: July 24th, 2018, 9:46 am By the way I call all year to the birds I hunt on the 2 farms I have access to but they are dumb because it never seems to bother them much and they still come in during the actual season. :dontknow:
You are talking about Canada, right Tim? That pretty much explains everything... :toothy7: :D
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

One is the other is in Michigan but I'm kinda getting tired of taking advantage of all your american birds like us Canadians are prone to do. I hope the donald doesn't put a tariff on them LOL :LMAO:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”