Hoobillys WaffleHouse Tour 18

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hoobillys WaffleHouse Tour 18

Post by Hoobilly »

Not sure how y'all faired but as usual we killed more than some and less than others.. I like to take time and reflect on how things transpired and how much funI had with friends and family. This season faired better than last season as there as a lot more action and less screw ups on my part. Seems like a blur and it was over. Loved meeting and making new friends this year starting with the Dye family, DC1 and a couple others at the NWTF convention. Don't you just love meeting people who are just, or sometimes even more passionate about turkey killing? Soon after the convention I received a packet of mouth calls from Darren (BigSpurs68) Thanks again D! had fun using them this year. Will be using more in the future!

As I got prepped and ready for the pilgrimage to Ky I made some plans with Shooter and dropping down to Tn and get a few days of hunting in there too.

Ky never disappoints me, even when I don't get to kill a gobbler (like last spring) due to rain etc, then mountains have grown on me. Tell ya the truth, I would rather hunt down there than flatland northern Indiana. My nephew IthacaKid came with me on this trip and really had a ton of fun with him. Friends in Ky are more like family now, the Arnetts (Crow) lets me stay at his place and hunt all their land plus a couple other spots he has received permission for me to hunt. Cant beat that

TJ I met many years ago as we walked down out of a holler and he had just killed a biggn Been friends ever since. That feller can kill turkeys and shoot rifles like no one else I have ever met, besides Shooter. :D

Nice thing about TJ, with him down there he keeps his eyes and ears open to where the gobblers are at and gets us yankees a leg up on scouting.
First day hunting we didn't hear jack except across the road, so midmorning we went there and he had that gobbler fired up.. after hearing 5-6 gobbles we were figuring out where to set up and BANG! feller hunting the other ridge shot him. :) that happens.. so we moved on and couldn't buy a gobble.. Next day rain.. then more rain. After throwing clothes in the dryer and checking the weather channel I seen a hour window in between storms and told me nephew we were gonna head back up the mountain and give it a try. He thought I was nuts. When the drizzle turned into a sprinkle we tool Crows brand new 3 seater Rhino and hotrodded it up the mountain.. we got to where we park and by then the rain had all but stopped. I pulled the Kaiser aluminum slate out and hit it a lick just to see if anything responded. Nephew heard one straight south of use a 3/8 of a mile. I hit it again and he heard it and wasn't sure exactly where it was at. I took a guess and told him I bet its just over the big nob where 3 ridges converge together. We hoofed it and I called when we were halfway there and I finally heard it. I told the Kid that it was just over the nob on the flat. Got up to the nob and set down. Used the Kaiser aluminum and then switched to a Dye mouth call and he cut me off. I swing to the other side of the tree cause he had moved west of us a hair and I flicked the safety off an had the barrel pointed in that direction. Ithaca kid covered straight south of me in case it swing back his way. But nope, strutter pops up 25 yards in front of me and I place the red dot on his head and bang he flipped backwards back down hill. I tore off running to where I seen him backflip as I wasn't sure I actually hit him since I seen the roll and wings spread out like he was a flyer. I didn't see the barbwire fence and cut my pants open and cheese burgered my legs some about the knees. Almost flipped me :D A really pretty 2 year old flopped a little and I got to hold a good mountain gobbler once again.

Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hoobillys WaffleHouse Tour 18

Post by Hoobilly »

We tried like crazy for a couple more days to get IthacaKid and TJ on a gobbler, but man it was like the weather didn't want the gobblers to cooperate and we heard a couple gobble, but nada for working any good ones. So I called Shooter and told him the Kid and I would be down and to be ready.

We arrived in TN, bought our tags and he dropped us off at one of his farms and pointed us to where we should hear a gobble. The wind though was sever and the Kid and I knew it would be a miracle if we even heard a gobble. Sporting the Kaiser Kalls aluminum slate it seemed like 10 minutes went by and we both heard a gobble. Ran and set up, only for the Kid to tell me that he thinks the gobbler busted us and ran before we actually set down. Guess that tom was really closer than we both first thought. (high winds will screw with ya) we walked another hundred yards and I hit the Kaiser aluminum again and boom a gobble ripped right back at us. I pointed to my nephew where to sit and I ran back 20 yards and wouldn't you know it I set down where I couldn't see nothing coming due to a small hill. But no matter, I kept me eyes peeled on the Kid and heard the gobbler rip another gobble at us without me calling. I cut him off with the Kaiser and a mouth call. He was coming. Since I couldn't tell which way he was headed towards us I got my gun up and glanced at the Kid. He gun was up and he adjusted slightly and then went 870 Mag popped off a Tennessee Twister #8's and that boy jumped up and let out a whooopeeeee! I jumped up and ran towards him and then I seen a gobbler start to flop. Another excellent 2 year old was down. After high 5's and a hug I texted a picture to Tommy. I think a whole 15-20 minutes tops had went by from when he dropped us off.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Tommy was shocked that it happened that fast, I was shocked by how far the gobbler was when the Kid shot it. All I can say is he was excited and shot it prematurely and I'm thankful for the Twister and 8's as it was a dead gobbler and not a runner.

Hunted our hearts out for 3 more days after that and had a really close encounter with gobblers while hunting with Shooter. So close I clicked the safety off and had my heart pumping fast enough I was hearing the blood pump through my ear drums. Things happen and either they seen me and I didn't see them, or they seen the decoy and putted off.

anyone recognize the guy with a beard?

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

After all that jazz we had to leave and head north to get ready for Indiana's opener..

My dad was anxious to get out and get on one. My niece took him to the junkyard and they had them gobbling but with hens they wouldn't commit and come closer than 80-100 yards So I told dad the next morning and I was underdressed. I was so cold my teeth were chattering and my body was shaking so bad my dad told me we could leave whenever I wanted. I told him no way, we didn't drive 30 minutes away to this special spot to just leave cause I was cold. Soon after than conversation I heard a gobbler sound off. I hit him with the Lausman Turkey Voodoo travel call and it cut me off. I pointed to where it gobbled and told my dad to get ready. I had him move to a tree that was facing the gobbles and I spun around and kept the sucker hammering at me. Closer and closer and I could tell by then he was angling towards the decoys and I was sitting in the way for my dad to aim. My dad whispered he's behind you and strutting, then told me to lay down, I slowly laid down flat and BOOM
the Ithaca37 let off another Twister. I rolled over fast and seen feathers and leaves blowing through the air with a gobbler cutting outta dodge. I yelled for him to shoot it again and my dad calm said he's down. It ran approximately 20 yards and fell over dead. Obviously a low shot and didn't break the neck from what I could see. But it was dead and dad and I both were glad to have gotten another gobbler at our friend JR's junkyard.

above picture is JR on the left and my dad on the right. This is the 2nd gobbler my dad has killed now at the junkyard. We took the meat back to Jr and his wife and they love it.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

The next day I took my niece and daughter to a spot and had 4 different gobblers come close.. one of which flew up in a tree and proceeded to gobble like crazy for a half hour. My daughter was so bored she took a stick and started drawing in the dirt. Finally that gobbler pitched down and she should have been ready to kill it, my niece couldn't get a shot due to a downed tree to her immediate left and I missed while using my M2 20 ga cause i used a full bead instead of doing the mid bead over the front. GRRRRR I hate it when I screw up..

Next afternoon I took my other niece who is a turkey killer. We heard some way off and moved to get closer and seen strutters in a cow pasture. Put the sneak on them and they disappeared. Set up close to where I thought they could be and hit the Lausman Turkey Voodoo travel call and they ripped off right back at me to out immediate right. I jumped up and ran into the pasture to set up in a clump f briars with a few little scraggly trees.. I pointed for my niece to sit and hit the call again.... I swear I heard a wing slap on my pretty boy strutter decoy where i left it lay on its side. few seconds later I hear her safety click off and gobbles erupted. I called again and brought my gun up and hers went BOOOOOM

just before she squeezed off I seen her adjust her barrel slightly and I looked and watched the red head slipping through the stickweeds. She yelled out to me I gott'm and another gobbler sounded off. I started yelling and cutting with him gobbling away from us. She jumped up to get her tom it was time for high fives and pictures.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I didn't get to be in on this hunt, but my son and buddy had a double. His buddies actually became a cripple and they went out the next afternoon and found it. Both were good limb hangers and very nice gobblers.
heres my son and his had 3 beards..

His buddy Kole..

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Took my wife out for her first every turkey hunting.. Had hens on us but no gobblers. She works a 2nd shift and wasn't able to really get out and hunt much, as it was her first time ever going, it didn't matter to me as I loved going with her and looking forward to this fall and next spring for her chance to get a gobbler.

My youngest niece I put her on a big ol joker and she whiffed badly. She has Chrones and also had a liver problem which was blocking blood flow to her heart. She weight 90 lbs soaking wet and she wasn't able to hold the forearm and keep the red dot on the gobblers hear at 45 yards. Clean miss and it broker her heart and mine. We had slipped down a ditch to get close and that gobbler came in within 45 yards without a call being used at all... his head was as big as a baseball.. Hopefully this fall or next spring someone will connect with him and we get to see his spurs.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

A old buddy who I had never turkey hunted with had a major truck problem. Had no way to get to his honey hole and I told him I was willing to take him.. Had to drive 20 minutes south then back to town to get my niece then another 20 minutes north to what is now probably one of the nest spots I have ever seen in northern Indiana for killing gobblers. Man this place is loaded with ditches and creeks and huge cottonwoods. Surrounded by 2 dairy farms these turkeys get a easy meal twice a day.. First morning there we could have had a kill, but I wanted to move to another spot where we seen gobblers, 15 minutes later 2 more show up and head to where we were sitting to begin with. ARGGHHHH

Next morning we got there and I seen a gobbler in a cottonwood. Had my niece and Domny sit up next to a down tree and I set back 30 yards and had the gobbler in the field with a hen for 5 minutes and another fly across the creek and ran to the strutter. They strutted and gobbled together for 15 minutes. I keep thinking why aren't y'all shooting????/ Finally a boom with a miss, and then Donny with 2 more misses after my nieces first miss. Man they both were shook up really bad. Poor niece couldn't hold it steady and after she missed Donny fell apart and missed. Man what a morning. That was three missed gobblers so far to that point. Couple days later Donny called and was ready for round two. So we took my brotherinlaw with us and after a morning of henned up gobblers we went for a mid morning breakfast and then back to the farm. Seen 2 longboards heading to where we were going. Parked, ran down the fencerow to the ditch and swung to where they were heading to. When we got to the T in the ditch Donny said I have one right on front of us. I didn't se it until just before Donny shot and rolled it. talk about a small window to shoot through the thicket in the ditch. Immediately after his shot I cut hard and yelped and pulled my brotherinalw in front of me to shoot the other gobbler. when he pulled the Ithaca up it took to running. Swing and a mish.. then it took to flying and I watch him try to get on it and another swing and a mish with a basketball sized hole shot through the leaves. Man them TSS 8's will mow stuff down.

Heres Donny with his gobbler, good ol 2 year old with a rope for a beard

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

One morning after scouting for gobblers my wife and I went to town and got our coffee. On the way home I had to drive by where I killed my tom and see if there were any thing stirring. While I looked in the field my wife and I seen a gobbler had just crossed the road and going down the fencerow. Got to the house and told my daughter to camo up and lets roll. Took about 40 minutes before we got parked at that spot and I glassed the field and fencerows. Didn't see anything, but I knew he was there somewhere. We walked down the fencreow to a circle patch on the row which had some water in the middle. I slid out in the field and put the decoys out aprox 20' as I didn't want to spook any turkeys by going further out in the field. From the place in the fencerow, the woods was apron 200 yards north east of us at an angle. I hit all my calls, but feel the MKW trumpet is probably what got him to come running. It was very, very windy. She wasn't confident that we would see a turkey period. I told her we would hunt a hour and go. After hitting my first series of calls I waited 5 minutes or so and popped the trumpet out. Scanned with the binoculars everywhere and had just scanned the field and noticed a big ol red head eyeballing us. I told my daughter to look north east toward the corn of the woods as there was a gobbler halfway to us running and for her to get the gun up.. she seen it coming and i whispered for her not to shoot until his head was up. I tried recording with my iPhone but mostly jacked that up and and all I got was the shot and the gobbler getting back flipped from the TSS 9.5s I loaded for her. That lil Encore with the Burris FF3 red dot is a mean machine. I don't think that hunt lasted for longer than 15 minutes start to finish. She was surprised and I was a proud poppa as this is her first longbeard. Which surprisingly enough didn't have spurs. this is twice now I have seen toms with no spurs in Indiana. Last year my dad killed his with no spurs, but that was 30 minutes away,

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I killed my gobbler the first Saturday of our opener in Indiana. No one to go with me I knew I would kill one, but really wanted someone to tag along. No one wanted to roll a double so I went alone. I knew about where they were roosting and set up way to close. Aprox 35 yards I had a longbeard and could see the one I wanted at 50 strutting on the limb with his beard just jutting out and had me begging for him to fly down so I could send a Twister flying. After 20 minutes of them gobbling on the limb the close on pitched down and came strutting.. when the big bearded tom turned around on the limb and started popping his head towards the ground I knew he wanted in on the hot hen action. That Carl Lausman Turkey Voodoo had them gobblers inside out. I got the Ithaca up and popped the safety off when he glided down towards the first gobbler. He halfway wanted to flog the younger tom but passed him up and at apron 2 yards I ended his career with a single shot to the head. In the back of my mind the crowd went wild and I stood up to have 4-5 other turkeys busting out of the roost and running.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

With my niece and brotherinalw no yet connecting, we hunting the last day at my sons farm and gave it all we had. Seen a goodn and we put the sneak to get set up, and a dozen deer busted out of the woods and across the field. I tried yelping to get the gobbler to stop, but he was having none of it and moved to another county as fast as he could. that wasn't his first merry go round ride.. :roll:

So heres a picture of the last minute antics of our Hoobilly WaffleHouse Tour 2018 spring season.. hope you enjoyed reading more than I enjoyed typing this reflection of another great turkey season.

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Awesome season there hoobilly waffle man. Enjoyed the ride by reading it. 👍🏻
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Awesome season, story, and pics Brice!!!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Great season bud.. Can't beat that. Wore um out

I'm just :angry5: I was in same town as y'all in TN and no invite.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 12th, 2018, 10:08 pm Great season bud.. Can't beat that. Wore um out

I'm just :angry5: I was in same town as y'all in TN and no invite.
You think your mad.. Tommy was like????? That lil punks in town and didn’t even text or call? :LMAO:

Speaking of which, you need his number I can text it to you.

jryser

Post by jryser »

What a thread, man!!! NOW I understand the Waffld House reference!!
MAK

Post by MAK »

Outstanding very enjoyable read some nice birds congrats
MAK
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

:thumbup:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”