They'll let anyone in here....

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
2ounce6s

They'll let anyone in here....

Post by 2ounce6s »

And I'm proof of it. Let's start this off right and get these few facts out of the way.

No, I didn't get the blonde turkey mounted but he tasted just like regular bronze turkeys.
No, I don't like short barrel turkey guns but used them exclusively for 25 years.
No, I never miss turkeys, I just shoot at them when they duck or goose step every once in a while so the folks hunting with me won't call me a game hog.
Yes, Turkeys are harder to kill in SC than anywhere else in the nation, world or universe but I've never hunted outside SC.
Yes, I have roosted birds but gotten right up the next morning and decided to hunt somewhere else.
Yes, I can sit still for hours only moving my eyes but often move to scratch my nose at the precise instant a red head peers over the ridge.

There, that is out of the way. Now I am sure there is someone here wishing to ask me questions regarding my vast turkey hunting experience. :lol:

Hello folks.

ew! ew! ew! Almost forgot!
Yes, I've shot hens at least twice! :thumbup: ...but would have rather shot big toms.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: They'll let anyone in here....

Post by Hognutz »

Welcome to the jungle.. Always nice to see a friendly new face here at Gobbler Nation. Enjoy your stay..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

2ounce6s wrote:Now I am sure there is someone here wishing to ask me questions regarding my vast turkey hunting experience. :lol:
You know I'm good for a question or two.

First question. Is the squealing hen call a good call for calling hens in the fall?
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

2ounce6s wrote: Now I am sure there is someone here wishing to ask me questions regarding my vast turkey hunting experience.
Welcome.

I've got a question.

Is it true the osceolas in SC have blacker wings than those in FL?
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

2ounce6s wrote: Now I am sure there is someone here wishing to ask me questions regarding my vast turkey hunting experience.

Is the spit and drum an exhale of air or an inhale of air?

Oh yea Why in the world didn't you mount that red turkey? Lol

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

TRKYHTR wrote:Is the spit and drum an exhale of air or an inhale of air?

TRKYHTR
:lol:
Double Naught Spy!
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

Gentlemen, Gentlemen!
Please! One at a time. You can only absorb the information I can share in small doses. If I unleashed the power of ideas I possess it could very well swell and rupture your pitiful skulls!

I will try to answer each question in turn.
guesswho wrote:Is the squealing hen call a good call for calling hens in the fall?
Yes but it at that time of year it is more of call used to mimic a constipated (or even more oddly..... a locked open) hen. Results may cause turkeys to approach your set from upwind so always keep prevailing winds and thermals in mind when decided where to sit and the direction to face. :salute:
hawglips wrote:Is it true the osceolas in SC have blacker wings than those in FL?
Correct! While you may have never experienced killing a black wing tom in SC I can clear up the mystery for you. They only respond to decoys. :struttin:
TRKYHTR wrote:Is the spit and drum an exhale of air or an inhale of air?
Oh yea Why in the world didn't you mount that red turkey?TRKYHTR
It is merely a mouthful of air. Some toms are unable to make this sound naturally and must suffice by clasping a wing under their armpit to force air from the pocket formed there in a "fromp" sound...for a lack of better words. Some have used "cronk" to describe this sound. Unruly jakes have been known to also attempt to make this sound as a prank to disrupt some turkey gatherings and functions. :turkeywave:

For a fee (or perhaps exclusive hunting rights to large tracts of land with heavy populations of turkeys) I could be persuaded to head a "Ask 2ounce6s turkey questions" Q & A sticky thread on this site.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

One more question, this has bugged me for years.

Always before when a gobbler didn't come running to my calls I just assumed he had one of three conditions. Monogamus (loyal to one hen), homogenized (gay or loyal to gobblers only), deaf, or maybe a combination of any of the two. Are there any other possibilties I may be over looking?
Double Naught Spy!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Why do merriams stop gobbling when they sleep?? You figure they would just snoorgobble....kind of like sleep apnea...???
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Dang Theron

Welcome to GOBBLER NATION ! Where you can kill 4 gobblers a day & you wont get slammed & where you can dust a BIG OLE GOBBLER @ 40 1/2 yds & you wont be warned that you had better not EVER EVER EVER do it again.

vaturkey :struttin:

Im sure glad I told you about this site. You can thank me now or you can thank me later ! :thumbup: :bootyshake:
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:lol: 40 1/2 yds :violent1:

i got a ? for you......................... :scratch: but i 4got what it was !!!
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I'm next...

Should I bait 'em using cracked or whole kernel corn?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

hawglips wrote:
Welcome.

I've got a question.

Is it true the osceolas in SC have blacker wings than those in FL?
they have osceolas in florida? :o

and welcome 2 0z of sixes!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

I only have one question at the moment ,,,,,

Which way did he go ???
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

guesswho wrote:One more question, this has bugged me for years.

Always before when a gobbler didn't come running to my calls I just assumed he had one of three conditions. Monogamus (loyal to one hen), homogenized (gay or loyal to gobblers only), deaf, or maybe a combination of any of the two. Are there any other possibilties I may be over looking?
Yes Grasshopper,
He is simply "pasteurized" and strutting waiting for the "hen" to come to him out in the field and sunlight to look at the pretty colors of his feathers. His sexual orientation has nothing to do with it. It is simply a genetic tendency for fashion sense.
Turkey Talker wrote:Why do merriams stop gobbling when they sleep?? You figure they would just snoorgobble....kind of like sleep apnea...???

Merriams tuck their heads under their wings while roosted and this naturally inhibits their gobbling in their sleep. Much like bending a water hose double and holding it that way with moderate force to cut water flow off. This is true for all subspecies of turkeys and should naturally explain the tendency for robust, loud and strong roost gobbling in the AM. That is the time they pull their heads from beneath their wings and release the pressure that has built up overnight. Most turkeys expel this "over pressure" before flying down and it explains the widely common complaint of "They just shut up after they flew down." That should give the answer early and eliminate the follow-up question I am sure would have come up next. ;)
Stinky J Picklestein wrote:I'm next...

Should I bait 'em using cracked or whole kernel corn?
That all depends on your pre-season scouting. Did you use cracked or whole kernel corn? Decoy placement is critical for those who use them along with bait. The decoy must be placed immediately atop the pile for success.
hookedspur wrote:I only have one question at the moment ,,,,,

Which way did he go ???
The way his snood was last pointing.

NEXT!

Thank you Ricky. :thumbright:
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

I felt sure soon enough you'd come sneaking in......glad you made it over good buddy!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

When roost shooting in mountainous terrain is it considered unethical to get above them to shoot'em off the limb? Or should one stick to Southern practices and shoot from beneath?
Double Naught Spy!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

I had 3 Jakes come in this year going in circles with their beeks close to the butt of the next one with one fanned out. Would you say that is 3 fruity birds or is there another explanation? Is this behavior more found in California birds than Kansas birds?
ImageImageImage
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Well clearly its obvious that hens know there are hunters in the woods, they even know the exact location of where we set up. Sometimes they lead their mate into the death zone... why do hens do this to their mates? Its not like the gobblers want custody of the clutch. How does this benefit the hens?
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

guesswho wrote:When roost shooting in mountainous terrain is it considered unethical to get above them to shoot'em off the limb? Or should one stick to Southern practices and shoot from beneath?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: almost crapped myself reading that Ronnie
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

guesswho wrote:When roost shooting in mountainous terrain is it considered unethical to get above them to shoot'em off the limb? Or should one stick to Southern practices and shoot from beneath?
Hell, even I know the answer to that. It depends on the caliber of rifle you're shooting.
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
Hell, even I know the answer to that. It depends on the caliber of rifle you're shooting.
Slingshots work better from above. The projectile loses way less energy. Trick is climbing the right tree before the turkey flies up.
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

Grasshopper,
When in mountainous terrain in the South you will still be beneath them! It is only considered ethical (or necessary) to get above them to limb whoop them when west of the Mississippi. Also, In the South you only have to have hunted one day without success to consider "limb whooping" ethical.
Bam! Another follow up question knocked out with a preemptive answer strike! :thumbup:
Jaybird wrote:I had 3 Jakes come in this year going in circles with their beeks close to the butt of the next one with one fanned out. Would you say that is 3 fruity birds or is there another explanation? Is this behavior more found in California birds than Kansas birds?
Tut, tut,
Sir for that answer you simply need to read the book I authored long ago entitled "Emulation, Infatuation, flatulation and the psychology of the adolescent jake."
Turkey Talker wrote:Well clearly its obvious that hens know there are hunters in the woods, they even know the exact location of where we set up. Sometimes they lead their mate into the death zone... why do hens do this to their mates? Its not like the gobblers want custody of the clutch. How does this benefit the hens?
Turkeys are Amazonian creatures. Males serve but one purpose for them. Those hens perceive the hunters calls as fellow female warriors and having finished pleasuring themselves with a tom they are simply attempting to share their love slave with a comrade.
Those times when they lead them away from the hunter's calls they are simply not through with the tom yet. Bam! Another potential question already answered!

Mr. S Picklestein,
You are correct in your assessment but only in regards to "precision limb whooping".

Next!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I know there's an ongoing debate as to which method is most accurate when aging gobblers. Spur length, beard length, amber tipped beard, snood length, and some even say by the sound of their gobble ect. I personally use a different technique. I go by pecker wear, aka beak wear. It's similar to aging deer by their teeth, except you check to see how much their pecker is worn down. Have you ever heard of this method, and do you feel it's a more accurate way to determine a gobblers age.
Double Naught Spy!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

How much money does the NWTF actually spend on putting birds on properties vs. Salaries, underage prostitutes and cocaine parties????

Return to “Gobbler Talk”