If you think your calling sucks....

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
dsunday

If you think your calling sucks....

Post by dsunday »

I had a hen with my decoy this morning in a cornfield cluck, purr, yelp and put on a turkey vocabulary clinic for half an hour. Two nice toms zoomed by us to the other group of hens 200 yards out in the field. She then chased after them, like hey guys! Wait up!

If she can't call him in, I guess some days I cant.
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
jryser

Re: If you think your calling sucks....

Post by jryser »

Lol we had a Hen come in last spring in TN that / when we first heard her / sounded like the absolute worst diaphragm trainee caller you can imagine. And she elicited gobbles with every strained General Grievous cough/call. And one of my good buddies would have judges running away at a calling contest and he lays em out year after year!!!

I’m convinced it’s cadence, mood of the toms, and use of other natural sounds than anything else! Not so much “perfect call technique.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

it amazes me what I hear from other hunters and yet they kill a turkey now and then
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Sounding like a popular type of caller is bad news for a hen if it wants to assemble any turkeys. Usually they sound like a box call, slate or glass pot, or mouth call with no rollover. I have seen hens that sounded like a box call or a glass pot chasing after gobblers while the gobblers headed away.

I bought a ceramic pot with slate on the back this year. It sounds and plays awesome. I tried to sell the gobblers on it, but they just weren't interested. I have a slate I've kept for years because it sounds so good and plays so easily. I don't bother hunting with it.
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Have a Billy White Hustlin Hen that is the same way. When you play it, you get the best sounding notes. Never in 25 years have I had a gobbler respond to it.

2gbl
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Have a Billy White Hustlin Hen that is the same way. When you play it, you get the best sounding notes. Never in 25 years have I had a gobbler respond to it.

2gbl
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

I've got an old cheap Knight & Hale aluminum call with a hickory striker. I can't count the turkeys that it's called in...
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

About 20 years ago, I had a gobbler responding to my calls in some young pines across a powerline cut in front of where I was set up. On the fire break behind me, the most awful hen imitation calls blurted out and I was fearing it was a trespasser easing closer to get a crack at the longbeard answering my calls. The gobbler kept coming on and I was getting more nervous with each ragged hen yelp that I might be caught in a crossfire. The gobbler stepped in the open & I leveled him with some Federal #6s. To my surprise, a hen took wing and flew a few feet over my head, close enough where I could feel the wind off her wings. I never imagined those horrible sounding calls came from a real hen.

Jim
MAK

Post by MAK »

I’m convinced it’s cadence, mood of the toms, and use of other natural sounds than anything else! Not so much “perfect call technique.”

I agree- repeatedly/ timing

all the good callers I know also have good music ability- pitch tone rhythm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]
MAK
willie

Post by willie »

catching gobbler in right mood is 50% IMO
being in right spot for that MOMENT 40% IMO
calling abilities 10% IMO
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

willie wrote: May 26th, 2018, 3:12 pm catching gobbler in right mood is 50% IMO
being in right spot for that MOMENT 40% IMO
calling abilities 10% IMO
Luck is a factor as well in both the first two pieces of that equation. I know two people that struck birds under 100 yards this year. Both birds came right in after one gobble and were dead in 90 seconds to two minutes. Obviously you make your own luck in different ways, be it decisions to be at certain places at certain times or pure persistence to put yourself in enough situations to get lucky in front of the right bird at the right time.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

hoobilly wrote: May 21st, 2018, 10:18 pm it amazes me what I hear from other hunters and yet they kill a turkey now and then
Yep Doug comes to mind :D :D

Return to “Gobbler Talk”