2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 26 - 27

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 26 - 27

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 26 – 05/18

At 05:25, it was 55, calm, & cloudy with rain forecast for all day starting at 12:00. At 06:00, I did a little quiet tree calling with no response. I called every 20 minutes or so varying the attitude as well as the call. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, zero. A little before 09:00, the farmer just to the east started planting & the people behind me started making a lot of noise working on something. Expecting rain as well, I took down the blind, packed everything up & headed to the house at 09:30.

The National Weather Center was wrong again so they are 1-6 for correct forecasts since Saturday. It still hasn’t rained a drop. They say it’s supposed to rain off & on, mostly on, all day tomorrow & Sunday but I hope they’re completely & totally wrong again.

As much as I looked forward to the start of the season is about how much I’m looking forward to the end.

Day 27 – 05/19

It was 64, very cloudy, & breezy at 05:27 this morning. I started calling at 07:10 & got an immediate response…….from a coon, DAMMITT!!!! At 09:05, I walked to the edge & saw absolutely nothing. I called sporadically all morning with no response. What was strange this morning was that there were very few birds around & not a single squirrel. I can usually count on a lot of birds to watch & at least 1-2 bushies to watch to keep me a little entertained.

By 12:30, I had had enough & packed up. I got about 50 yards from the blind when it started to sprinkle. A little voice told me to go back to the blind which I did. A good thing as it started to pour right when I got to the blind. I would have been soaked if I had kept going. See…….It’s not always a bad thing to listen to those little voices in your head. ROTFLMAO!!!!

It was 73 when I got back to the truck. I was about ½ way home when the skies opened. It came down so hard & fast that I was having a hard time seeing much past the front of the truck. At least the NWS was half wrong & it didn’t rain at all this morning.

Tomorrow’s the last day for the Ohio 2018 season & I’ll be out there once again giving it the old turkey hunter’s try. The NWS is forecasting for mostly cloudy with 5-15% chance of rain so it should be a decent day. I think I’ll take the newest issue of American Hunter with me to try to combat the boredom if nothing happens.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

joey46

Re: 2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 26 - 27

Post by joey46 »

Good luck. The new American Hunter is pretty good. You'll enjoy the hunting Cape Buffalo with muzzleloaders story.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

You’ve put in an impressive amount of time this year. Hate how it’s gobe for you. I’ve read about your season religiously, hoping for a change. Good luck tomorrow.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

joey46 wrote: May 19th, 2018, 3:47 pm Good luck. The new American Hunter is pretty good. You'll enjoy the hunting Cape Buffalo with muzzleloaders story.
Thx. I glance through it yesterday evening & my 1st though was: DANG!! I sure hope the guy with the muzzy has a least 1 good backup
with a modern repeating rifle!!
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

jhogue wrote: May 19th, 2018, 4:54 pm You’ve put in an impressive amount of time this year. Hate how it’s gobe for you. I’ve read about your season religiously, hoping for a change. Good luck tomorrow.
Thx. This has to be my worst season ever with the opening day miss (my fault, I think) the low point. I'm glad the return on the bucks is better in my retirement
than it is for the hours afield to killed birds this season. I hate to say it but, I'm actually looking forward to the end of the hunt tomorrow. I'm about worn to a frazzle.
George

jhogue

Post by jhogue »

I feel you. I’m not near as experienced a hunter as you, but I spent even more days in the woods than you this year, across multiple states. It’s been a tough year for a lot of folks across the country. The crazy part of it all is seeing folks like appalacianassassin killing 6 birds in seven days of hunting. He definitely gets the speed and success prize this year, but you earn some terrible persistence prize that can be counted in hours and some heartache. I hope thing improve in your area before next year.
MAK

Post by MAK »

Hope to run into one tomorrow
MAK
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I got to say, that Ever Ready Bunny ain't got a damn thing on you,,,,good luck tomorrow
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”