2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 15 - 17

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 15 - 17

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 15 – 05/07

It was 48 at 05:25, ½ moon, clear skies, & a slight breeze when I was ready to go at my primary spot. I did a little tree calling at 06:00 with a flydown cackle. I called sporadically with no response. At 08:40, a hen walked in from the west & checked out the hen decoy. I was hoping she’d bring a big boy along with her &, sho nuff, I spotted a big bodied bird coming in from behind some brush piles & through the saplings. I got into a semi-ready position waiting for a shot. I tried & tried but no matter how hard I tried to grow a beard on the bird, the best I could do was about 1” sticking straight out from his chest. MY beard is longer than that & he has about 6 months more growth than I!! The hen continued on east but the jake tried to get the jake decoy to do something. He didn’t peck, kick, or wing beat the deke, just walked around it, occasionally doing a little hop-skip backwards as though startled or trying to tease the deke. Obviously, nothing worked so he wandered off after the hen. I had the circle on this young lads head twice with the safety on. Jake doesn’t know how lucky he was but, by mid next week, maybe not so much. I hoped to get this on my trail cam but the card was full & I got nothing.

At 09:45, I heard a lot of flapping & saw a bird trying to fly up through the trees to the SW on the edge of the woods. It went back to the ground & I saw it walking across the field from W to E. Something seemed to have spooked it. I couldn’t tell if it was a hen or a gob. About 10:00, I saw a huge coyote trotting through the woods near where the bird had tried to fly so I assume that is what spooked the bird. I tried to call it back but never saw it again. At 10:10, I saw a bird walking E to W in the field but, again, couldn’t tell what it was.

At 11:00, the 1st 2 squirrels showed up in front of me. Their lunch schedule must have been synced with mine. So, while they feasted on beechnuts, I partook of a ham & cheese sandwich.

At 12:00, a squirrel started fussin’ & cussin’ so I started looking for what fired it up & saw the ‘yote again. Still couldn’t get if with range. At 01:30, the woods went dead silent, no birds, no squirrels, nothing. The tweeties had been very vocal all morning & it was surprising that they all quieted down.

It was 71 when I headed home. Tomorrow I’ll try my 2ndry woods.

Day 16 – 05/08

I was ready to go at 05:35, temp 43, ½ moon, clear, & calm. I did a little tree calling at 06:00 with a flydown cackle. Nada. I called every 15-20 minutes with no response until 11:30 when I headed home with the temp up to 68. This was my 2ndry area &, if the birds aren’t there in the morning, they won’t be later in the day. In the past, I have sat all day long & seen nothing. Besides, I needed to do some yard work before it got too far ahead of me.

It’s back to my primary woods in the morning.

Day 17 – 05/09

It was 53 with a ¼ moon, clear skies, calm, & quiet at 05:25. At 06:03, I sent out some tree calls & a fly down cackle with no response. I called every 20-30 minutes with no responses.

At 09:25, I had been watching a squirrel foraging for about 10-15 minutes when I heard something behind me. The squirrel shot up to attention & stared towards where the sound had come from. It sprinted to a tree, went up, & kept watching. I thought maybe the ‘yote had come back but nothing ever showed up.

At 11:05, the squirrel joined me for lunch again. I sit facing south & was looking to the SE at 12:45. When I looked back, there stood a hen near the decoys preening herself. She must have come in from the west. She stayed there for a few minutes before slowly feeding east. Shortly after, the wind picked up. By 03:30, the wind was pretty strong so I decided to walk out to the edge of the woods to check for birds in the plowed ground or the wheat field. Nothing.

I headed out at 03:45 with the temp at 86. It’s supposed to rain late tonight & possibly in the morning so I’ll still get up but will decided what to do when I walk out on the deck. If I go out, it will be back to these woods.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Gobbler Talk”