Sad to see it go, blessed to enjoy another good spring season.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
C.kimzey95

Sad to see it go, blessed to enjoy another good spring season.

Post by C.kimzey95 »

Been a great year. Little bit of a different year. Lot of rain early in the season and not as much time to hunt as I want to. Last week after my hellish 2 finals weeks were over I had some friends in from out of town to hunt with me. Despite being on birds both mornings and walking 11 miles in two days we struck out. We were on this bird Sunday morning for a little while without success. I hunted him another 3 times before I finally sealed the deal. Had to get a little creative on this one...my set up was sitting in a hay ring in the middle of a huge (75 or 80 acre) pasture. I’ve gotten away from using decoys for the most part this year and have loved not relying on them and carrying them, however I did break out the jake decoy for this hunt. This guy and his 4 hens ( one of which was toting a 8-9” rope herself) came into the field at roughly 630 pm and it took him close to an hour to move 200 yards to me. His hens had exited the field and I even heard 2 of them fly up... once he got within 75 yards his demeanor changed and he popped into half strut and began the mean walk as I call it into 20 yards. I let him beat up on my decoy and strut for a couple minutes before I decided to pull the trigger. He ended up being a good one with an 11” beard and 1.25” and 1.125” sharp spurs! Upon cleaning him I noticed his craw was one of the fullest I had ever seen so I had to investigate. For the lightest bird I’ve kill this year he was filled out at 17.25 lbs and plum full of clover and seeds. To those who have tags left and spring seasons that run longer. I’m envious. One day I hope to start mine a little sooner and end it a little later. ImageImage Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yule

Re: Sad to see it go, blessed to enjoy another good spring season.

Post by Yule »

WOW, looks like he visited the all you can eat, salad bar!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

A little Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing and your lunch is ready..... Nice Bird
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Nice!!! WTG :thumbup:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

what a way to end a season! congrats on a dandy gobbler

and don't worry about missing some hunting.. schooling pays off and you make enough to hunt a whole lot more
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Gobbler Talk”