Got my PA bird #1 on the board this morning

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
gobblegobblegobble

Got my PA bird #1 on the board this morning

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

I've been out every day since the season opened last Saturday and had a lot of close encounters, but this morning it finally came together. 9.5" beard, 3/4" spurs, but only weighed 16.5 lbs! (Hey, at least you know I'm honest!) Going after #2 in the morning...
IMG_20180507_075426_01.jpg
IMG_20180507_082511.jpg
Yule

Re: Got my PA bird #1 on the board this morning

Post by Yule »

PA birds have been very slow for me, as well. Seems like the hens haven't started nesting. Gobblers are not working... maybe this nice weather will help get them going. I have a second tag to fill, too!
Congrats on your bird!
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

Thanks! I haven't gotten a PA bird in a few years. I can't really say they are slow for me this year; my son got his tag #1 bird on youth day at 7:35am, it was the third longbeard we saw that morning. I went out every single day since the regular season started, and worked birds into range (40 yards) on every day except Friday, which was silent for me. I'd either get busted, or they'd come in silent on the wrong side, circle behind me, hang up just out of sight over the edge of a hill or behind brush, etc. Called a pair in for my son and I Saturday but they wouldn't come over the hill far enough to show a beard. I knew it was a matter of time until one finally stepped into view about where my barrel was pointing! This has probably been my most successful season when it comes to bird interaction that I can remember. I must be lucky!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Good deal, nice bird, mine was only 16 lb. this year too
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Nice going. Rumor is that the PA birds are on Weight Watchers. How was the fall mast crop?
WildSpur

Post by WildSpur »

Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Gobbler Talk”