Texas Rios...

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Texas Rios...

Post by Reloader »

TX was a blast as usual, Pop and I got 5 birds total.

I started on a small wheat field that’s usually a pretty good spot, but nothing was around. Tried a couple more spots with no luck, so headed to the camp. Drove around back to glass a big field and as I crested the hill, I spotted two lone toms, so I eased the truck back below the crest, drove back down the hill, grabbed gear and headed twds them. I sat on a fence row just before the crest and started calling. It wasn’t long and I heard faint gobbles, which steadily got closer with a little sweet talk. Those rascals decided to circle around me and came right up behind me at 15yds raising cane. I played with them for a bit, but they were not going to cross the thick fence line where I was. I eased around and could see their fans over a dirt berm and decided to risk it and stood up. The first one that cleared the berm got a face full of NP lead #7 at 20yds. The second tom hauled butt, so I cut and got him to stop for a shot.

Bird one was 17lbs with a 8-3/4”bd and 1”sp.
Bird two was 18lbs with a double beard and 15/16”sp. One beard was 9-1/4” and the other was 3-5/8”.

Dad texted me around 9 saying he’d gotten two nice toms, one had spurs 1-1/4”. He hunted a big wheat field along a creek bottom and heard several on the roost, but most had a pile of hens. The two he shot came in together and he was able to cut them both.

Dad’s bird one was 20.5lb, 9-3/8”bd, and 1-1/4”so.
Dad’s bird two was 20.25lb, 8-3/16”bd, and 15/16”sp.

That eve we got on some birds in another creek bottom and just when they were about 40yds out a dang horse came over and boogered them. We then went back to the big field Dad hunted that morn and he told me a big group of birds with one tom had crossed the north end and dropped off in the creek bottom, so I headed down in the bottom and sat under a cedar on the edge of a pretty meadow. I wasn’t there 15min and a hen started talking to me. Before long I had her coming and a whole wad of birds came out in the open. About that time a tom fired off and came out strutting his stuff. There were 6 hens, 4 jakes, and the big big guy all about 25yds or so. When he got to 20yds I let him have it. I’ll be danged if that rascal didn’t have a spur on one leg, and just a nub on the other. He had a thick 8-3/4” bd and was pretty heavy for a Rio. When cleaning him I found some healed over Hevi shot from previous seasons. The 1-5/8oz #9s at 20 caused a little swelling lol. He was 22lbs with a 8-3/4”bd.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Texas Rios...

Post by Reloader »

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Good looking birds WTG
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Awesome,Outfitter??
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Nice birds. Nice pictures. Congrats.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Thanks guys!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I have to get down to Texas and hunt. Them are some pretty gobblers. Looks like lead still works 😂
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Awesome!!! That is some beautiful gobblers!!! Enjoy make those memories with your dad!!! Congrats :thumbup: :thumbup:
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Thanks fellas!

I can't believe a little ole lead #7 killed a bird stone dead :D
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

You wear those TX birds out every year - congrats again!

I've always found it enjoyable to end the season with a Rio hunt.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”