I love quick hunts!!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

I love quick hunts!!

Post by Reloader »

Thank God for quick hunts! I needed that one after a long opening week.

It was raining at daybreak, so I went to a big gas line where I’d heard one a few days prior, but no luck. I went to another place about 5-6mi away and tried for a while with no response, so headed back to the truck about 10. When I pulled out of the well rd, I saw fresh tom tracks that had just been made headed into a 2yo pine thinning. I pulled back in, eased out in the thinning and struck him after about 15 min. He was real deep, but it was too open to move much, so I hung tight and it wasn’t long and he was comin’ in hot. About the time that rascal hit 150yds a dang hen piped up to my left and went straight to him. That was it, but I gave it til about 1 with no luck.

The next morning I went back to the same location and that rascal was already lighting it up on my way in. I hooted a bit until I was pretty confident where he was and got to about 175yds or so and sat down. He was in an SMZ down in an old thinning that I assumed was still a thicket, but the SMZ came out to a two track where I was. After fly down he hung tight, so I decided to risk it and headed twds him swinging left a bit to get to the hdwds. As I was headed his way I noticed the old thinning had opened a good bit and I saw his tracks where he’d came through to roost. He fired off about 100yds to my right just over the hill, so I had to hit the deck and settle in by a cedar bush. I figured he was going high where I’d come from, so I hit him with some soft talk and in minutes I could hear limbs snapping out to my right, so with the hill as my cover I swung around and got ready. Then I saw his fan a bit left and couldnt see his head yet, so I eased around and that rascal broke strut, stepped up on the crest about 15-20yds out, and I let him have it. It was only about 7 at the shot, so I had plenty of time for a photo op and made it back in time for church. I was thrilled to get him with the sparse population in that area. There had been a bunch of fellas in that spot this week I assume chasing him. I went in there twice earlier scouting and never heard a peep. He’d already been shot earlier in the week as he had 4 nonplated lead #6s in him that were still bloodshot, but luckily not infected yet. Sure does feel good to get one after a long week of slow hunting.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: I love quick hunts!!

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Sweet! Congrats. I killed one saturday that had copper plated #5s lodged in each breast. They had been there at least a year, but he showed no ill effects. Tough birds.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

That's a fun hunt! Congrats!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Good job and a great looking bird and a good read too
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Ronny, good going. Gil
jryser

Post by jryser »

GORGEOUS pics and bird. I love the occasional GIMME myself!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Thanks fellas!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Cool pictures! I love a fast hunt sometimes to ease the burdens of the stretches in between
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

Already been shot this season... that's about as pressured as you can get congrats.
okiefowler

Post by okiefowler »

Ain't it fun killing a bird someone has already taking a crack at. I can say I'm never going to be shooting lead at turkeys again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

chipper

Post by chipper »

Good going Ronny! Whack another one brother!
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

Nice. Congrats.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Nice bird, and pics!!!! WTG :thumbup:
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Congrats on a seasoned bird. You did well.

I have shot a few birds that have had been shot before. They are tough. Not the easiest to call in, but they do make you 'work' a little.

Again, congrats. Hopping I can get one close enough for my youths next week. It is so much fun watching kids when a bird suddenly appears infront of them.Better than tagging a bird myself.

Hoping this dang bird that I keeps living till next weekend. Should us a good hunt.
E72

Post by E72 »

Awesome bird. Congrats!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”