Turkey Vest info...

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ole5beards

Turkey Vest info...

Post by ole5beards »

I’ts been years since I’ve bought a new vest, and even then I still used my older ones! I like the older vests more, the quality is a lot better, and I’ve always liked older camo patterns. The vest I’m currently using is an older Mossy Oak Elite Vest, I’m pretty sure it was the 1st Elite Model vest, it’s in Mossy Oak Shadow Leaf pattern, and it’s held up well over the years! The vest has plenty of room for what I carry, however it’s a full vest style so it gets hot and when it gets hot that’s when I notice how uncomfortable it is. The seat cushion is big enough but it’s very thin to begin with and damn near disappears when you actually sit on it, I can sit there for a decent while but I’ll start having my legs and butt go numb and I’ll have to readjust more times than I’d like to. I used to laugh at the prices of vests and think who’d pay that much for a vest, but you remember the old saying “You get what you pay for” and start thinking more about the bigger issue which is comfort instead of money. I don’t cut and run often, so I need something that will allow me to stay put a bit longer and be comfortable while doing so, where I’m not having to move to readjust so much if at all. I also like the thinner strap vest, that definitely will keep me cooler which means more comfortable. I’ve looked at a couple different ones recently and wanted to get some input from y’all if you have any. I like the Nomad vest, plenty of pockets, thick back pad and cushion(removable), and it’s available in old school patterns. I also like the Alps Grand Slam vest with the removable kickstand style seat. That sucker looks very comfy, like you could sit still for a while and be good, without everything going to sleep on you! They both seem comparable in all aspects, I think the Alps one might be a few bucks more, but I think it’d be well worth it in the long run. Anyhow just wanting to see if any of y’all have any input on these vests, how have they held up so far? Also if y’all have any other vest suggestions I’d love to hear them as well. Comfort is the biggest thing I’m looking for in a vest, if it’s comfortable, then I can work with any other issue it might have.
Pass the biscuits!!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Turkey Vest info...

Post by howl »

I like vests, but they're too hot for most of the season.

I use a call organizer hung from a binocular harness. The seat pad hangs from belt by a carabiner. I have put a small pad hung off the leather piece on the back of the harness. It'll fan your back as you walk.

HS Strut came out with a similar ready made product within the last year.
forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

I have a Cabela's minialist vest I've been using for 2 seasons has a really thick an comfortable seat cushion most of the time I use one of the low turkey chairs really makes a difference for me. The cushion is nice but after about 20 min. gets uncomfortable I can sit in the chair for hours no problem. I getting up in years an an don't chase them like I use too.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Spring season here ya better have a heavy warm coat on in the mornings so a vest just won't be mush good.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I have really been liking my Nomad vest. It rides good and is comfortable.
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

I have the alps. I like that you can adjust it so it fits you. The cushion is plenty thick. Not completely sold on the kick stand yet, tho I have not taken it out. I might try it without the kick stand to see how I like it.

Jerry Jr.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”