hearing enhancement

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
willie

hearing enhancement

Post by willie »

a friend of mine is having trouble hearing turkey gobbles and i was wondering if any one has this problem.anybody have any pros and cons of certain hearing enhancers.
fisherxp

Re: hearing enhancement

Post by fisherxp »

I completely lost hearing in my right ear many years ago and hearing with my left ear is sorely deficient. I could not hear most gobbles and even when I did I had no sense of direction with only one ear.But, I invested in a Walkers Game Ear many years back; a remarkable device and still going strong. Pop a new battery in once and a while and ready to go. At age 86 I'm not able to run and gun any longer but am still killing turkeys. Hunt these days over decoys out of a tent blind. I don't care which direction they come from as long as they end up in front of me. Where there's a will, there's a way!!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Walkers game ear is one good type. Many others are doing good. BTE is another company.
I have used Walkers for close to 15 years or longer. The style you would see from a hearing aid (over the ear) with a foam plug is what I have. I need to replace them. Have found used ones for around $100 on eBay. Should have already bought a couple lol

Get them for both ears, they are like a surround sound theatre system. Most awesome. Muffs will not help you pin point direction
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Love the 86. Dove hunt occasionally with a 89er. I use the Walker 4 Mic muffs. A pain sometimes but the best I've found so far.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Take a kid hunting.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Im in the same boat as fisherxp. Right ear just up and quit. U of M wants me to get a Bi-cross style . Transmitter in the right ear and a receiver in the left..If he gobbles on my left i'm ok. Otherwise I have no idea where he is.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
silvestris

Post by silvestris »

I invested in a set of Starkey 110 hearing aids. They are amazing. They really point out my loss of hearing. On occasion, a Tufted Titmouse will drive me crazy with his "peter, peter, peter" until I mute my aids and then I can not hear him. Unfortunately, my once gobbler laden hunting country (Southwest Mississippi) has become devoid of turkeys. Now, I don't really expect to kill every gobbler I hear, but I do expect to hear one occasionally. My country is now dead and I don't expect it to come back in the time I have left.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

silvestris wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 5:35 pm I invested in a set of Starkey 110 hearing aids. They are amazing. They really point out my loss of hearing. On occasion, a Tufted Titmouse will drive me crazy with his "peter, peter, peter" until I mute my aids and then I can not hear him. Unfortunately, my once gobbler laden hunting country (Southwest Mississippi) has become devoid of turkeys. Now, I don't really expect to kill every gobbler I hear, but I do expect to hear one occasionally. My country is now dead and I don't expect it to come back in the time I have left.
never heard of them before.. expensive?

BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

Howard Leight electronic ear muffs ($49) work well for both protection and amplification of sound. Directional as well...

Cheaper than a kid and you can return them if you don’t like them.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I'm pretty sure that Camoman has tried several types of "enhancements" , but I don't know if he's tried them for hearing.
Ultimate Predator
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

My old girly friend says," If it takes more than spit, it ain't true love."
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
JonEReb

Post by JonEReb »

howl wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 3:43 pm Take a kid hunting.
👍
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

MKW wrote: May 4th, 2018, 7:12 pm I'm pretty sure that Camoman has tried several types of "enhancements" , but I don't know if he's tried them for hearing.
You saying he uses a “snood pump”?

forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

I bought a pair of Otofonix this year before the season an was fineally able to hear them gobble again used a Walkers game ear for years but couldn't tell where the sound was at ,I don't have that problem with these . They were reasonably priced 700.00 for the pair bought them off Amozon had great reviews so I took a chance best money I ever spent well other than cararact surgery

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

forkedlighting wrote: May 6th, 2018, 7:17 pm I bought a pair of Otofonix this year before the season an was fineally able to hear them gobble again used a Walkers game ear for years but couldn't tell where the sound was at ,I don't have that problem with these . They were reasonably priced 700.00 for the pair bought them off Amozon had great reviews so I took a chance best money I ever spent well other than cararact surgery

I would have a hard time spending that much..

but to hear them gobble, that i money well spent. especially if you can tell where they are.

what walkers game ear did you use?

forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

The 150. 00 dollar one don't know the model .I didn't buy mine for just turkey hunting for turkey hunting heck I can't hear it thunder .I didn't know how bad mine was untill last a friend of mine went to listen with me an heard 7 birds an I never heard the frist one. I can hear hens puring at 30 yds now

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

forkedlighting wrote: May 6th, 2018, 8:01 pm The 150. 00 dollar one don't know the model .I didn't buy mine for just turkey hunting for turkey hunting heck I can't hear it thunder .I didn't know how bad mine was untill last a friend of mine went to listen with me an heard 7 birds an I never heard the frist one. I can hear hens puring at 30 yds now

I wear them in both ears and hear pretty good except for when it’s windy.

forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

The wind is not as bad with these plus with the walkers I sound like a elephant walking to me so had to take them out till I sat down .I'm so impressed with these that if they quit tomorrow I will buy another pair. The biggest problem I forget an go to bed with them in an got in the shower twice with them in ,but I remember before I screwed the up.

gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

I just ordered a pair of Walkers Game Ear Elite Digital HD Power 4s. After sitting for an hour last Friday, I didn't hear a single gobble, and went to the trail about 59 yards behind me where I met a 60 year old man who was coming from my left. He was heading to my right, after a gobble I never even heard. That was it for me.

They serve as hearing assistance AND hearing protection. My plan is to use them a bit, and then see if I want to invest in NitroEars. The Nitros are $1300, but form fitted and they tune them to your hearing loss... So basically they are a hearing aid with protection, they just can't call them that. We hunted with a guy who really liked them. I will likely give my Walkers to my 14 year old son and sell him on the idea of "enhancement" while knowing he's also protecting his ears against the damage I did to mine.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

For $1300 I'll go buy stock in a turkey farm and go feeshin'
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... 0QAvD_BwE Y'all spending hundreds, ya can't beat bell and Howell. All there products are quality and usually on the as seen on TV section at Walmart.
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

Grumpy wrote: May 8th, 2018, 11:43 am For $1300 I'll go buy stock in a turkey farm and go feeshin'
Look at what ACTUAL hearing aids cost. It's one of your five senses, and extremely important especially when hunting.

Also, to the other guys, you won't be able to tell where the sound is coming from with one Game Ear. You need two of them for direction.
jasonb53

Post by jasonb53 »

I have been using the over the ear models (1 for each ear) for 2 seasons now and i still can't hear a distant gobble. Mine have the adj frequency but still hasn't helped. They do work pretty good if bird is fairly close and its not windy, as i can hear them walking or maybe some hen putts an yelps that i couldn't hear before. I can course direction with them for most part also. If i could find a better pair that i know would work I would definitely spend the money especially if I'm hunting new property where where time and scouting is limited to hearing a bird sound off
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Sort of on topic is how you lose your hearing. You don't necessary lose it over the whole spectrum like turning down the volume. Hearing loss due to gunfire and gun stock vibration, for instance, is high frequency loss. You'll still hear the gobbles, they just won't sound like gobbles and may not catch your interest. I had one come in this year from maybe a quarter mile in quiet conditions. I would have sworn it was a beagle until it got inside a few hundred yards.

I have high frequency hearing loss according to an ear doctor. That means means the higher pitched parts of a gobble don't register unless the bird is relatively close. I try to listen for things that sound like a gobble or cluck, etc. and then try to figure out if it is something else. I have had instances since trying to "re-calibrate" this way where I called to something that did not sound like a turkey, but didn't sound like anything else, and wound up working a bird.

This also explains why cutting and running doesn't work as well as it used to. Striking a bird I don't hear does no good.I have no low frequency damage. I hear drumming just as far as I ever could.

Also, I went through some Walker's Game Ears several years back. I couldn't tell direction very well, but I could hear a gobble a mile. I'd hear it then yank the thing out, trying to find direction. Also, keeping those running was a challenge with the batteries and sweat, etc. They've probably improved since then.

The whole thing is ridiculous, but I ain't givin' up!
silvestris

Post by silvestris »

My Starkeys are expensive, but I can hear in court which makes them acceptable to everybody except my wife.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”