NEPA youth gaining experience.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
southpaw

NEPA youth gaining experience.

Post by southpaw »

I have been blessed with not only my boy but our neighbors daughter to take turkey hunting. Last weekend was the youth hunt but my boy had a bad ear infection and it was her birthday. Obviously we did not get to go out that weekend. So we went out this sat morning. Had a bird gobbling less than 150. Only set up we had was down hill in the woods. That one did not work out. It might have but there is a bit of story in that. It involed deer and possibly our dog.

We set up were I thought they would go. I called but no answers. About half an hour after set up 3 jakes came out at 25 yards. My boy said that he would let 'the girl' take the first shot. Here is where the learning comes in for me. She could not get the safety off. Mossberg 500 with a scope. My boy helped her get the safety off but they were 50+. At that point I called DON'T SHOOT! No big deal, they were only jakes.

Everybody learned something. They learned birds can come in silent and they need to be ready at all times, I learned just because I can do it does not mean every one can (safety) and the jakes, well, we will get them next year. :) (wife said I can not write "smiley face"), yeah, that is what she told me to do.

To tell you truth, this was my best hunt. I had more enjoyment watching the kids than I have shooting a bird.

Looking forward to next sat.

Jerry Jr.

BTW, early this week I am unleaseing the best caller to hunt with me. My 5 year old is gonna call a bird on for me! She is all set. Not sure what I will enjoy more. If she calls a bird it will top it by a little. Nah, it will be the best.

Best of luck!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: NEPA youth gaining experience.

Post by howl »

That sounds awesome. I bet the little one gets them going at least.
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Lol. Been watching lots of youtube turkey hunts. With some of the calling I have heard, she should be able to hold her own.

Jerry Jr.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

if I couldn't hit with others and take kids out, I wouldn't enjoy turkey hunting as much. I think i have evolved in hunting. I love to kill one, but rather be hunting with others and help them get one. Sure I am tagged out in Indiana now, but I can get more family time and friend time with others and keep enjoying the gobbles.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

It sure is fun to take a young person out and watch them enjoy it
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”