Rivercane Call

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Rivercane Call

Post by GLS »

crenshawco wrote: April 27th, 2018, 5:13 pm GLS, how long do you usually dry the cane? I'm going to chop down a few next time I find some.
When I cut cane, it is usually in the winter after the cane reaches full growth and the smaller diameter sections are longer and more suitable for mouthpieces as I look to cut 4" of .2" minimum diameter. This time of the year I'd look for winter killed cane. It would still be in good condition and wouldn't take as long to dry. If there is no winter kill, look for the taller sections as they will be more mature than shorter canes. Gil
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I looked in the woods today to see if there was any cane worth cutting for calls. Forget the winter kill. It is too brittle. I found some cane that survived the winter. Note that on some sections, there is an indentation where the leaf stems were. Not all sections have this "flat" or indented surface. It doesn't make a difference in making the calls or performance if it is present. Note on the middle call's mouthpiece, the indentation is visible. Gil
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I made a short video a few weeks back just to see how the Rivercane call sounded on a recording. I made this one in the house, and I think that was probably a mistake; would sound better outside. I was gonna make a more professional video, but never got around to it, so here is the first try at one:

https://youtu.be/9fVisnbxhvQ

I hope the link works; it's my first try at posting a video on a forum. If you are underwhelmed by the sound, that's ok. The thing I have found about hens is they all sound different. Some are really raspy, and some are crystal clear. I am not good enough with any one call to make the full range of hen sounds, so I carry several calls. There are some hens that I can best duplicate with a box, and some with various types of mouth calls. A trumpet makes a different sound than anything else, and the Rivercane is different than a trumpet. I think the Rivercane sounds like the call produced by a lot of young hens.

Of all the suction type calls I've tried, the Rivercane is the easiest for me. Because it is small, it doesn't require as much air to run it. I've taken Gil's directions and I'm trying to make some now. Got the pieces cut to length, but I think they need to dry a little longer before I put them together. I will go ahead and predict that mine aren't gonna sound as good as Gil's. :)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Sounds good!

Im gonna need me one
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

hoobilly wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 11:45 am Sounds good!

Im gonna need me one
If mine turn out decent, I will send you one.

But you will likely be better off to get it from Gil. :)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 12:42 pm
hoobilly wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 11:45 am Sounds good!

Im gonna need me one
If mine turn out decent, I will send you one.

But you will likely be better off to get it from Gil. :)
If would be a honor to get one from either of you
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I would like to have one myself but I can’t get the wingbone down pat. Idk.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”