Observations on turkey populatioins

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
decoykrvr

Observations on turkey populatioins

Post by decoykrvr »

About 13 years ago, several counties which I had hunted for @ 10 years experienced both a rabies and distemper out break concurrently during the spring/summer. Areas which had been over-populated w/ skunks, raccoons, foxes, and coyotes became devoid of predators over the course of several months. For the next 2-3 years both the turkey and quail populations increased tremendously. On one large farm, flocks of 20-45 turkeys became common and I saw and heard 8-10 large quail coveys. Nothing change agriculturally on the farm and the higher avian populations (turkeys, quail, meadow larks, Chuck-Will's Widow) predominately ground nesters maintained their increased populations until, with time, the predator populations came back. Today, the same farm has few, if any, quail and a small, but stable turkey population. Delta Waterfowl has documented the effects of nesting predation esp. by skunks and raccoons on waterfowl and other ground nesting species and I think that this is a major factor for decreasing turkey numbers in many areas. I have not read any documentation on the adverse effects of utilizing poultry manure for fertilization on turkey populations and would appreciate citation of any published scientific information to the contrary.
coconut

Re: Observations on turkey populatioins

Post by coconut »

I like your scientific approach because I think many times hunters get there information from companies trying to sell something or foundations will salaries to pay.
Cowanortho

Post by Cowanortho »

Complex problems often have simple solutions, unfortunately, they usually do not work. Weather, predators, habitat, agricultural practices, disease, age structure, and hunting pressure/techniques can all affect turkey populations/gobbling. On our property, we are concentrating on the things we can influence like habitat, off season feeding, and hunting pressure. We have discussed attempting a predator control program but it will be time consuming (if we do it ourselves) or costly (if we hire someone) with no guarantee of long term success. The support of our state wildlife agencies and private organizations, such as the NWTF, are critical in obtaining good data on the health and future of our turkey populations.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I do know there is at least one less than a month ago
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
coconut

Post by coconut »

Nwtf also very good at collecting large amounts of money for big salaries and very good at promoting themselves.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Kinda like letting a drug company pay for there on research on there drug and let them review and publish the findings
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Glad to see people note the source of funding affects the outcome of the study
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I blame the lack of Huns, Sharptails and Pheasants here in the prairie of Montana where it is mostly grain fields on the chemicals these farmers spray for weeds every time the sun goes behind a cloud. Even the jack rabbit population is scarce along with never seeing a road killed snake of any kind anymore. Habitat hasn't changed but the spraying of the fallow fields seems to be an every other day task for these hay seeds. No farmer around here plows the summer fallow anymore they just spray it with weed killer all the time and then plant it with the no-till drills. Those chemicals in these new weed killers are some nasty stuff.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”