Turkey populations in your area

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Turkey populations in your area

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I think one thing in my area that really led to decline was the science of farming. Farming is now science, ain't ever seen a soy bean till past five years, now there everywhere, we we're to cold to grow, than shorter germination soys were bred.

Same can be said with alfalfa, science, alfalfa maturing earlier. Never can remember as a kid seeing thigh deep alfalfa during prime nesting. Now it's a given all over, where's a hen gonna nest, it's as attractive as a overgrown field.

One of the farms I used to hunt had the farmer call say I killed 19 today, 19 what turkeys. Hens nesting "legs and eggs" hens to stupid or stubborn to run from tractor, thus dead.

I think the coyote argument is b.s yeah they get lucky sometimes, but I've watched multiple multiple altercations in the field and most times turkey goes away unscathed.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Modern combines are much more effective at getting the crop. Old stuff used to leave some crop in the field
2labs

Post by 2labs »

I feel Western NY where I hunt has had a decline in the population, the 90s were great but it is not what it use to be. Last season I killed a Beautiful Long beard on opening morning and hunted the same ridge 6 other mornings and never heard another one. This is a hillside that runs along a lake 6 miles and you can hear for a long way . Now on the back side of this property is 300 Acer's an I found a group hanging out there, only like 2 long beards a couple of Jake's and about 4 hen's. The property was logged the summer before and they cut down many of the better roost tree's, and these birds were hanging more on the neighbors property. I can hunt it but don't like to. I also feel that we have Too many Fishers around, they will kill turkey fast. Just don't seem to have as many as before, but if you go north of me I see more birds there, that area is mostly farming lands.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: April 24th, 2018, 9:57 pmI think the coyote argument is b.s yeah they get lucky sometimes, but I've watched multiple multiple altercations in the field and most times turkey goes away unscathed.
It is overall BS. Coyotes are not made to successfully hunt turkeys. When rushing a flock and the turkey takes to the air they do not have the leaping power to catch them nor the claws to grab ahold. Like you said they get lucky here and there. I am sure they will not pass up what looks like an easy opportunity to them, decoys that look like turkeys not moving. On the other hand, Bobcats are turkey killing machines.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

davisd9 wrote: April 25th, 2018, 7:19 am
ICDEDTURKES wrote: April 24th, 2018, 9:57 pmI think the coyote argument is b.s yeah they get lucky sometimes, but I've watched multiple multiple altercations in the field and most times turkey goes away unscathed.
It is overall BS. Coyotes are not made to successfully hunt turkeys. When rushing a flock and the turkey takes to the air they do not have the leaping power to catch them nor the claws to grab ahold. Like you said they get lucky here and there. I am sure they will not pass up what looks like an easy opportunity to them, decoys that look like turkeys not moving. On the other hand, Bobcats are turkey killing machines.
I've heard bobcats will actually take them off the roost at night, the validity do not know.
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Lots of good input here guys, there are a lot of factors as you all know: weather/bad hatches, predators, disease, hunters killing over the limit.
My guess is bad spring weather and hatches play a big part but only part of the problem.
I'm sure they already do in most states but each state Wildlife Department and Game biologist should evaluate the population and adjust the bag limit and season length if needed.
Some states are lacking it seems.
And turkey populations are cyclical as someone already said, they seem to take a while to rebound.
Enjoy each hunt and kill and hunt safe.
midmslongbeard

Post by midmslongbeard »

Increasing this is first year since 2013 that there's been a huntable population went from having a bunch of birds one year to none or very very few now we are getting a decent number but still not like it was. Central MS
coconut

Post by coconut »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: April 25th, 2018, 8:19 am
davisd9 wrote: April 25th, 2018, 7:19 am
I've heard bobcats will actually take them off the roost at night, the validity do not know.
If a bobcat can climb 40-50 feet in a pine tree and kill a 20 pound turkey in dark I say let him eat!
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

I heard maybe five gobblers all season last year. I've heard over two dozen different gobblers in different areas of my lease this year. A banner year, and I'm still sitting on an unfilled tag. :violent1:
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”