Done in Kentucky

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Done in Kentucky

Post by Turkinator »

Woke up to 45degrees and high winds. I set up on a spur ridge that runs off pine mt. Heard him gobble on the roost but sounded far off. I threw a few yelps to him and 15min later he comes slipping in. I shot him at about 25yds. This one started flopping. He flopped about a quarter ways down that muleface slope.love hunting the mountains!!!!!
20180419_080703.jpg
Attachments
20180419_071611.jpg
20180419_071825.jpg
Dr Juice

Done in Kentucky

Post by Dr Juice »

Congrats. Awesome deal. How did you know it was a gobbler approaching you when he was using a mouth call? I wonder how it fit comfortably in his beak? [emoji12]
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Done in Kentucky

Post by Grumpy »

Sounds like a great hunt, nice bird too
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Congrats! Love KY.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

What part of Ky you hunt? I’m hunting west of Salyersville. Been hunting down there for close to 15 years
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Just got back from a four day hunt in W. Ky (Crittenden Co). Terrible weather with 35 mph winds, hot one day and cold the next, then rain. Pretty tough sledding. Was lucky to kill one monster (24 lbs). Heard very few gobbles and saw no strutters in fields while driving. Been hunting out there for 5 or 6 years. Bird numbers are way down where I hunt, both last year and this. Biologists speculate it is perhaps due to chicken manure applied to fields introducing a domestic poultry disease to the turkey population. Anybody else seeing reduced numbers in Ky?
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Congrats Turkinator!
Spuriosity wrote: April 24th, 2018, 8:54 am
Just got back from a four day hunt in W. Ky (Crittenden Co). Terrible weather with 35 mph winds, hot one day and cold the next, then rain. Pretty tough sledding. Was lucky to kill one monster (24 lbs). Heard very few gobbles and saw no strutters in fields while driving. Been hunting out there for 5 or 6 years. Bird numbers are way down where I hunt, both last year and this. Biologists speculate it is perhaps due to chicken manure applied to fields introducing a domestic poultry disease to the turkey population. Anybody else seeing reduced numbers in Ky?
Numbers seem to be holding steady in South Central Kentucky. The weather has been sporadic this season so that has affected turkey hunting.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

hoobilly wrote: April 24th, 2018, 7:39 am What part of Ky you hunt? I’m hunting west of Salyersville. Been hunting down there for close to 15 years
I hunted Letcher co. Between Hazard and Whitesburg. I have hunted Estil. And Owsley counties also. I have a lot of family in eastern ky
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Turkinator wrote: April 24th, 2018, 12:19 pm
hoobilly wrote: April 24th, 2018, 7:39 am What part of Ky you hunt? I’m hunting west of Salyersville. Been hunting down there for close to 15 years
I hunted Letcher co. Between Hazard and Whitesburg. I have hunted Estil. And Owsley counties also. I have a lot of family in eastern ky
We have A lot of family in the Salyersville area.
Rather hunt down there than northern Indiana any day
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Gobbler Talk”