What 2 do

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

What 2 do

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Ok, so for the past two years, sal and I have not been able to hunt one of our best pieces.. This 80 has two predictable roosting areas and has also been the death of many gobblers mid morning run and gunning..

The problem lies in the neighbor across the roads 2 dogs.. One is a huge Bull Mastiff and one is a beagle.. It all started one time last year, when we were cutting and running back in some thick pines and I hammered on the call and was cut off, I looked at Sal and asked was that a gobble.. Seconds later a giant mastiff flies out of the pines barking and growling.

This year the problem has compounded.. Each and every time we roll into this property the dogs see the truck come barking and growling.. The few times we have gotten in undetected the dogs have heard the turkey call and come running and barking.. This leads to the other problem, the birds have been less visible, I assume if they are coming to a turkey call they are coming to real turkeys..

The other morning I rolled in there at 430 am hoping they brought them in for the night and before I had the truck shut off, I heard barking from mere feet from the truck and elected to leave.. Than last night we parked on the county road to owl hoot and the minute we stopped the truck here they came.. I proceeded to throw rocks at them..

So I am lost as how to proceed.. If it were my property, I would deploy the 3 S's and the problem would be solved.. But the landowner is the nicest guy in the world and even has a maple syrup business he puts aside so we have an undisturbed woods.. I would hate to cause problems for him with the neighbors.. The neighbors with the dogs on the otherhand, have their yard barbwired, and no trespassing signs on their driveway.. I love confrontation, but I have a feeling that these folks would say "my dog wont bite" I dont give 2 chits about them biting but they are screwing up my hunting, so I am sure this would not go well.

I know this is not the dogs fault but instead their owners. I love dogs from the Mastiff family and own a boxer but I have had enough.. When they chase us to the truck they stand at 5 feet so I am thinking either Pepper Spray or a Paint Ball gun. I assume these non lethal options may deter them from ever following us again, Thoughts..
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: What 2 do

Post by Gobbler »

I feel your pain.

I have hunted on deer leases next to dog clubs. We have tried everything and even been told to shoot the dogs. etc etc. I won't shoot a dog. Its not their fault like you said. The dogs don't know fences or rules.

I promise you this is a no win situation. No matter what you do especially if you mess with the dogs eg pepper spray. The owners will go to the land owner and blame you. If no arrangement with the dog owners can be reached I'd forget that 80 acres. It ain't worth it. JMO
SpurHntr

Post by SpurHntr »

Pepper spray, lol....but did you say that?!?
Humpty was pushed!
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

BB gun might be an option.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Kamski and I had a similar prob. on our place. I got into with the owners and told them I would just let the Sheriff handle it.Prob. went away. Also I believe it is against the law in Michigan to allow your dog(S) friendly or not to run loose.Contact animal control and have them drive to the area.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

redarrow wrote:Kamski and I had a similar prob. on our place. I got into with the owners and told them I would just let the Sheriff handle it.Prob. went away. Also I believe it is against the law in Michigan to allow your dog(S) friendly or not to run loose.Contact animal control and have them drive to the area.
I always shoot the killers...

hunting dawgs I won't, they would have to be deranged and attacking me to get shot.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

hawglips wrote:BB gun might be an option.
or a taser.i had a landowners dog follow me around the truck this year.every time i turned around he tried to sneak around the truck on my back side.teeth showing and hair standing up on its back till his step daughter stepped outside to get the dog.haven't feared a dog like that since i was 5 years old.little slip of a baseball bat out of the hands about 2 feet of the ground might teach him.not sure what the dog laws are there but here they are supposed to be on a leash.i would confront the owners of the dogs and tell them whats going on and tell them if it continues they maybe partially blind,if pepper spray doesn't stop them nothing will.im sure those dogs will remember you the next time.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Bring a small co2 extinguisher and spreay them directly in the face won't kill or hurt them too much and trust me they won't be back for more.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Do the dogs run loose 24/7? If they do, that is a problem. If he pens them, they can still bark when they here your calls. That is a problem. If he keeps them in the house, then I would let him know when I was going to hunt, and hopefully he would keep them inside. This is a bad deal, any way you slice it, Tom..Never fails, it is always something..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote:Do the dogs run loose 24/7? If they do, that is a problem. If he pens them, they can still bark when they here your calls. That is a problem. If he keeps them in the house, then I would let him know when I was going to hunt, and hopefully he would keep them inside. This is a bad deal, any way you slice it, Tom..Never fails, it is always something..
No pretty sure that they run loose all day.. It does not matter when I am there as evidenced by 430 am the other day and close to 10 pm the other night..

The animal control is kinda a No Go, we have none in our county.. Its the Sheriff department and they are not into this nor do I feel like having them involved. That is why I was looking for a non lethal way, for the dogs to say "Oh crap its that guy"..

If I really wanted to get rid of them.. I would take a piece of foam sponge soak it in gravy and leave it in the road.. It clogs up their intestine and die..
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Around here they are supposed to be controlled, whether it's a leash, kennel or shock collar. Hunting dogs are another thing but it sounds like these are not hunting dogs. I'd start with the owners, then the sherriff. If that doesn't work, wasp and hornet killer may be next. (great substitute for mace or pepper spary). I know it's not the dogs fault but if the owner is not being responsible then maybe you have a case for neglect????
"INFIDEL"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
Hognutz wrote:Do the dogs run loose 24/7? If they do, that is a problem. If he pens them, they can still bark when they here your calls. That is a problem. If he keeps them in the house, then I would let him know when I was going to hunt, and hopefully he would keep them inside. This is a bad deal, any way you slice it, Tom..Never fails, it is always something..
No pretty sure that they run loose all day.. It does not matter when I am there as evidenced by 430 am the other day and close to 10 pm the other night..

The animal control is kinda a No Go, we have none in our county.. Its the Sheriff department and they are not into this nor do I feel like having them involved. That is why I was looking for a non lethal way, for the dogs to say "Oh crap its that guy"..

If I really wanted to get rid of them.. I would take a piece of foam sponge soak it in gravy and leave it in the road.. It clogs up their intestine and die..
be a man!

sniper that sucker and post it on youtube! :violent3:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I would take a different approach. Here is why, If you pepper spray them or shock them or harm them in any way they will still bark their heads off every time you show up and even come near you barking although they will probably stay out of harms way. I would go to the house and talk to the owners of the dogs. Tell them the problems you are having and Try to get to know the dogs, find out their names and maybe call them by name. If they don't feel there is a threat with you they will stop barking, hopefully. Good luck this is a sticky situation.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Here is an idea! Have you ever heard of a movie called "homeward bound"? Take a couple pieces of raw hamburger out there. Throw it at them. When they begin to associate you with food, put them in the truck and drive 30 miles north. Open tailgate.... problem solved.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Well then again. If they are showing agression, those dogs are better off dead. If a little kid gets around em and the mastiff flips out, bad news.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”