What's Your Strangest Hunt?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Weekend Woodsmen

What's Your Strangest Hunt?

Post by Weekend Woodsmen »

Last year we had a BIG tom working this field. After playing games with him all morning, an airplane buzzed the field flying low which sent the gobbler into a gobbling frenzy before running towards us, ultimately giving us the shot. We couldn't believe it! The tom ended up weighing in a 24lbs with 1.5" spurs! A real giant! Here's the video to prove it!
Weekend Woodsmen
quavers16

Re: What's Your Strangest Hunt?

Post by quavers16 »

One of my Strangest hunts happened off of Clinton Road in New Jersey. This one day, I never heard (any) bird, squirrel, nothing and saw nothing. Had the feeling I was being watched.. Just one day there was like that. That was before co-workers who live near Clinton Road told me this road is featured in the book- Weird New Jersey.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I hunted one morning and didn't kill a turkey. Don't know what happened, but it was strange.
Ultimate Predator
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

A friend has a farm which has a large bottom pasture that backs up to a large ridge w/ a creek at the base. Birds will roost on the steep ridge and pitch down across the creek into the bottom. I got a call from my friend asking for help with a large mature gobbler which was harassing and chasing his cows
and calves attempting to run them out of the pasture and he worried that a calf might end up in a barbed wire fence or worse. I gladly told him that I appreciated the call and would assist him with his "problem gobbler". A previous business commitment which had to be handled by a phone call prevented me from getting into the field at first light and I watched with binoculars as several birds pitched into the field before I could make my business call. As I watched, I saw a large gobbler strut then start chasing the young calves in the field even as the cows attempted to intervene. I figured that my only option to remain out of sight of the turkeys was to wade the creek up stream around a bend then ease around the base of the ridge to get near the pasture and attempt to call the gobbler. I was easing around the base of the steep ridge when I slipped on a greasy barkless limb buried in the leaves and made a crashing racket in the dry leaves. To mask my noise I started bawling loudly like a cow, a trick I have used successfully on both deer and turkeys in the past. To my amazement the gobbler started gobbling to my cow calls, and although I couldn't see him, I could tell he was coming my way. I gave my best calf bawl and the turkey gobbled even more vigorously coming my way. I got into position w/ my gun up on my knee when I heard him drumming across the creek out of sight to my right. I didn't even have a turkey call out, but bawled again and here he came gobbling. I shot him at about 35 yards across the creek. The gobbler weighed over 22 lbs, and had large base 1 3/8" spurs, and evidently was the "problem gobbler", since everything returned to normal w/ the cows,calves and turkeys after his removal.
Weekend Woodsmen

decoykrvr wrote:A friend has a farm which has a large bottom pasture that backs up to a large ridge w/ a creek at the base. Birds will roost on the steep ridge and pitch down across the creek into the bottom. I got a call from my friend asking for help with a large mature gobbler which was harassing and chasing his cows
and calves attempting to run them out of the pasture and he worried that a calf might end up in a barbed wire fence or worse. I gladly told him that I appreciated the call and would assist him with his "problem gobbler". A previous business commitment which had to be handled by a phone call prevented me from getting into the field at first light and I watched with binoculars as several birds pitched into the field before I could make my business call. As I watched, I saw a large gobbler strut then start chasing the young calves in the field even as the cows attempted to intervene. I figured that my only option to remain out of sight of the turkeys was to wade the creek up stream around a bend then ease around the base of the ridge to get near the pasture and attempt to call the gobbler. I was easing around the base of the steep ridge when I slipped on a greasy barkless limb buried in the leaves and made a crashing racket in the dry leaves. To mask my noise I started bawling loudly like a cow, a trick I have used successfully on both deer and turkeys in the past. To my amazement the gobbler started gobbling to my cow calls, and although I couldn't see him, I could tell he was coming my way. I gave my best calf bawl and the turkey gobbled even more vigorously coming my way. I got into position w/ my gun up on my knee when I heard him drumming across the creek out of sight to my right. I didn't even have a turkey call out, but bawled again and here he came gobbling. I shot him at about 35 yards across the creek. The gobbler weighed over 22 lbs, and had large base 1 3/8" spurs, and evidently was the "problem gobbler", since everything returned to normal w/ the cows,calves and turkeys after his removal.
Wow! That’s is one crazy story and a heck of a hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weekend Woodsmen
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

My strangest was in Laurens county Georgia. I got up to move on a bird, but went to pick up a shed I had spotted while sitting there. When I got to it, what I thought was the base wasn't. It was the hip joint to a human leg. What I found was an entire skeletal leg, from hip joint to the toes, intact.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I’m shocked when ever I do kill a turkey

Airplane did him in 😂
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I would have made a lamp out of it, did you make a lamp out of it, pull the big toe for ON and pull the little toe for OFF............................
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

guesswho wrote: April 7th, 2018, 5:20 pm My strangest was in Laurens county Georgia. I got up to move on a bird, but went to pick up a shed I had spotted while sitting there. When I got to it, what I thought was the base wasn't. It was the hip joint to a human leg. What I found was an entire skeletal leg, from hip joint to the toes, intact.
So...what's the rest of the story?? Murder victim??
Ultimate Predator
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

My strangest morning was a cool crisp Good Friday some years ago. I had killed 4 of my 5 birds already and decided to go to a place on our lease that is almost impossible to access, but this morning I had plenty of time and wasn’t in any hurry to limit out. I found an opening for listening and stood around waiting for daybreak. One started hammering around 100 yards away and I decided I should just sit down where I was and see what happened. As I am listening to this hen cluck and the gobbler answer her every time she made a sound I decided to purr and cluck once and go silent and wait and see what he was going to do, so I did. The series of events next make me wary of creek swamps to this day. The gobbler answered me and flew down. I could see him coming and the hen was past me so I knew he was coming to my gun. In what I can only describe as a legend come to life moment, the woods go completely silent and the gobbler throws his head up, putts once and flies to the next county. The hair on my neck was standing on end and the woods are so quiet you could hear a pin drop on wet grass! I look around and see it. There’s a panther laying on a limb in a cedar tree about 30 yards from me. I had heard old men talk about them, but everyone always said there were no more left. Well I’m here to tell you, there is at least one cause he scared me that morning. I left the stool I was sitting on there and slowly got on my feet with gun trained on him and backed out walking backwards for 200 yards or so and then walking on out to the truck a few hundred yards farther.

Never seen one since, but I’ve heard others say they have seen one here and there over the years.

That was strange to see a “big” cat in south Alabama.
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

MKW wrote: April 7th, 2018, 3:46 pm I hunted one morning and didn't kill a turkey. Don't know what happened, but it was strange.
You too? I thought it was just me! Was 2006 and it still haunts me. :D
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

MKW wrote: April 7th, 2018, 8:09 pm
guesswho wrote: April 7th, 2018, 5:20 pm My strangest was in Laurens county Georgia. I got up to move on a bird, but went to pick up a shed I had spotted while sitting there. When I got to it, what I thought was the base wasn't. It was the hip joint to a human leg. What I found was an entire skeletal leg, from hip joint to the toes, intact.
So...what's the rest of the story?? Murder victim??
I lived in Florida at the time. The Sherif's department told me they would be in contact with me. I was back in Georgia two weeks later and stopped by the Sherrifs office. I was basically told don't worry about it, it's taken care of.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Yup, some cop made a lamp out of it, you snooze you lose.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
ylpnfol

Post by ylpnfol »

Grumpy wrote: April 7th, 2018, 10:55 pm Yup, some cop made a lamp out of it, you snooze you lose.
:lol:
you never know, unless you go

David
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Grumpy wrote: April 7th, 2018, 10:55 pm Yup, some cop made a lamp out of it, you snooze you lose.
Fishnets and high heels?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Weekend Woodsmen

BrowningGuy88 wrote:My strangest morning was a cool crisp Good Friday some years ago. I had killed 4 of my 5 birds already and decided to go to a place on our lease that is almost impossible to access, but this morning I had plenty of time and wasn’t in any hurry to limit out. I found an opening for listening and stood around waiting for daybreak. One started hammering around 100 yards away and I decided I should just sit down where I was and see what happened. As I am listening to this hen cluck and the gobbler answer her every time she made a sound I decided to purr and cluck once and go silent and wait and see what he was going to do, so I did. The series of events next make me wary of creek swamps to this day. The gobbler answered me and flew down. I could see him coming and the hen was past me so I knew he was coming to my gun. In what I can only describe as a legend come to life moment, the woods go completely silent and the gobbler throws his head up, putts once and flies to the next county. The hair on my neck was standing on end and the woods are so quiet you could hear a pin drop on wet grass! I look around and see it. There’s a panther laying on a limb in a cedar tree about 30 yards from me. I had heard old men talk about them, but everyone always said there were no more left. Well I’m here to tell you, there is at least one cause he scared me that morning. I left the stool I was sitting on there and slowly got on my feet with gun trained on him and backed out walking backwards for 200 yards or so and then walking on out to the truck a few hundred yards farther.

Never seen one since, but I’ve heard others say they have seen one here and there over the years.

That was strange to see a “big” cat in south Alabama.
Wow! That would freak me out! Really cool story though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weekend Woodsmen

Return to “Gobbler Talk”