Thermal imaging for turkey

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Tail Feathers

Re: Thermal imaging for turkey

Post by Tail Feathers »

HunterGKS wrote: February 26th, 2018, 2:28 pm
timbrhuntr wrote: February 26th, 2018, 2:23 pm Before I retired from the fire department I spent a few years on call for all major fires and they gave me a truck to respond with on the days I was on call ! It had a bunch of equipment but also had a 20,000 dollar thermal imaging camera in its inventory. Many times I thought of taking it with me to see if it worked in the deer and turkey woods !
Serious question. What good would a thermal imager do in a fire? Looking for hot spots after the fire is out? I wouldn't think it would do much good looking for people if the fire was still burning.
Yes. I had a chimney fire a few years back and they were able to check the attic and wall to ensure there was no fire in there.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

timbrhuntr wrote: February 26th, 2018, 9:09 pm What a waste of the technology. It took a while to convince the old school guys that they were actually wasting them. I could go on for a while stating what they can do but this is a turkey forum.
enlighten us~! :lol:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

My wife gets the jumping and dressage saddles fit to her horse by a saddle fitter who uses a FLIR camera. It shows the hot spots on the horse and saddle where there is excess and minimal contact. I never got my hands on it long enough than to find one of the barn cats up in the hay loft. Pretty cool piece of equipment, but I couldn't even guess the price tag.

Jim
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

I still don't believe Tom; he doesn't own said thermal imaging riflescope.

Show me a non-Democrook redacted receipt.

And why in the world would you be turkey hunting with a 6.8 SPC AR-15? Send the Burris Pepper to LaRue Tactical; they might be able to machine you a mount.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

hoobilly wrote: February 26th, 2018, 10:42 pm
timbrhuntr wrote: February 26th, 2018, 9:09 pm What a waste of the technology. It took a while to convince the old school guys that they were actually wasting them. I could go on for a while stating what they can do but this is a turkey forum.
enlighten us~! :lol:
If your department is only using them for looking for hot spots and not taking them in with the rescue crews to assist in the search then they are wasting them ! Most departments only got them out when the fire was over to check for hot spots but left them on the rig when actually doing primary search for victims hard to get them to change from that mind set. Kinda like when scba's first came they were left on the truck because you had to suck the carpet and come out with snot and soot dripping to be a real firefighter and be able to die from cancer in your later years ! :banghead:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

timbrhuntr, Thx for the info. All I've really seen has been on TV shows where the thermal imaging shows green or red blobs moving around.
Can you actually tell the difference between hot-spots & people? Will bodies also show up? While this may be a turkey site, I also look on it
as a learning site as I'm sure most of the rest of the members do. Teach us.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I investigated a fatal fire a few years ago. There was very little fire damage, but heavy smoke damage. The firefighters went in to look for victims and couldn't see a foot in front of them. They felt something on the floor and turned their thermal imager down and it detected the woman on the floor.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Oh and I'm also glad this post took a turn for the best and as an educational post. Tom is sensitive and if everybody kept picking on him for his $6 million toys, his feelings would get hurt :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom, you know I love you and totally respect your hunting ethics and abilities :salute:

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

One of the other cool things with the thermal camera is that when fighting a fire you could actually see your firefighting stream as it is flowing and even see if you are hitting the main fire area without even being able to see it with your eyes ! And yes you can see a body with the camera you can actually clear a room with it. We would come to a doorway say to a bedroom and scan it, If there were obstacles such as beds that you couldn't see around then a firefighter would enter and search the areas that couldn't be searched with just the camera ! Most of the cameras also had a temp reading so you could see if you were effective at reducing the fire or it was getting away from you. Before I retired they were actually coming up with heads up display thermal units that attached to your mask pretty high tech but also very expensive for most departments. Some of these units even had a remote feed so a chief outside could look at a screen and see what the search or firefighting team was seeing. We were lucky in the beginning as our combat challenge team was very strong winning many competitions and as a prize they recieved a thermal camera.I believe they won 5 or 6 of them. As aresult of that we were probably the first department in our area to have them when you couldn't really afford them otherwise !
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx for the update. Tech has really come a long way. My BiL is on the local VFD & they just bought a new truck. The thing is awesome. I don't think they have any thermal stuff but will ask.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Ya some of those new trucks with their on board computers and gps can just about run themselves as long as you don't have computer glitch !
southern_leo

Post by southern_leo »

Southern Sportsman wrote:It’t not legal here in TN, but a buddy of mine does have a FLIR thermal imaging monocular. I have scanned tree lines in the dark (not while hunting) and you can definitely pick them out from a long way off.

IMHO, it goes WAY to far to be used in sport hunting, and I’m glad it’s illegal here. You could easily find every bird around 2 hours before sunrise, set up right under them in complete darkness, and shoot them as soon as day light and conscience allow. Where is the sport in that?

The only legitimate hunting applications I can think of would be tracking wounded game at night and nigh time coyote hunting where allowed.
I agree with this. I'm not passing judgement but if your gonna use them to find a bird in the dark, then wait till legal shooting time and kill the bird, then you might as well just drive to Kroger and buy a turkey.

One application I would like is walking into large public land areas it would be nice to be able to see where other hunters are at so you can avoid them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

southern_leo wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 2:49 am
Southern Sportsman wrote:It’t not legal here in TN, but a buddy of mine does have a FLIR thermal imaging monocular. I have scanned tree lines in the dark (not while hunting) and you can definitely pick them out from a long way off.

IMHO, it goes WAY to far to be used in sport hunting, and I’m glad it’s illegal here. You could easily find every bird around 2 hours before sunrise, set up right under them in complete darkness, and shoot them as soon as day light and conscience allow. Where is the sport in that?

The only legitimate hunting applications I can think of would be tracking wounded game at night and nigh time coyote hunting where allowed.
I agree with this. I'm not passing judgement but if your gonna use them to find a bird in the dark, then wait till legal shooting time and kill the bird, then you might as well just drive to Kroger and buy a turkey.

One application I would like is walking into large public land areas it would be nice to be able to see where other hunters are at so you can avoid them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Seeing other people in the dark would be nice.
Ridgeking

Post by Ridgeking »

Yeah,...... no.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”