Cell phones and how much I hate it...

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
southpaw

Cell phones and how much I hate it...

Post by southpaw »

I will start off saying that I don't have a cell phone, not even a flip phone.

I hate what it has done to everyone. It is now an instant gratification world. Text me this text me that, look at this look at that... Don't call me, just text me. People can not live with out them.

What the heck has happened to people, you can not even go 3 seconds without checking the darn thing? Try engaging in the conversation. Heck, even when they do, you have to wait for them to view the text they got. WHAT THE FLIP!!! Is it that important that some one that you have never meet needs to know what you just did?

I cann't think of one time that some one gave me the 'finger' and they had to go right then and there. Why is it that the darn phone is more important than the conversation you have going on?

The more I see the less I want a cell phone. I get they have a use. The problem is they are abused. If you have a true problem you need to talk to a person, not see words on a screen. You need someone there fore you. They need the person.

Human contact is what has been taken away!

Jerry Jr.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Cell phones and how much I hate it...

Post by appalachianassassin »

we strongly agree on this subject
El Sicario
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I love hate my iPhone..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Yes can be a PIA but the older I get the more comforting it is to have the ability to keep in touch if necessary. I use a pay as you go Tracfone that costs little and works when needed. Everything's a trade off.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Ride by a street corner or a bus stop. Most of the folks will be looking down at a phone. If you let them, they can be millstones around your neck. However, If I don't have mine with me, I get the same feeling I have riding in car or truck with a broken seatbelt. They are truly remarkable. My nephew was with US Army and Afghanie Special Forces as a USAF combat air controller in Afghanistan. When service was available, he could Skype or Facetime with my brother here in Georgia. I've been stuck in the woods, high centered, and was able to get myself out with great effort and my winch. However, I contacted a buddy with my phone and he was on standby to come if needed. Before cellphones in more than one similar situation, I have had to walk for hours getting to a roadside phone for help. There are a couple of places I hunt that don't have coverage. I sometimes, wisely or not, hunt by myself without anyone nearby to help me if needed or contact by phone. I leave a FLOAT plan at home, but sometimes that's not enough. I am seriously considering the Garmin In Reach+, a satellite handheld unit on which texts can be sent or an SOS be sent with long/lat transmitted for rescue in these remote areas.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Looked at several satellite rescue units also. They are subject into themselves with highly varied prices. A few weeks ago Cabelas had close out prices on some older discontinued DeLome units. I'm still hoping to do a western hunt and I'll be alone with no cell system available (I'm told) so since I'm an "old geezer" one would make sense.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

About the cheapest is the Spot; the $450 is the most highly recommended Garmin In Reach+, but the old DeLorme model has many of the same features at almost half price. If future lack of someone to repair the DeLorme is a concern, be aware that Garmin discontinues servicing some of its older products. My DC40 dog gps dog collar being one such Garmin product. Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Parents should research the effect of smart phone on developing brains. My kids will get one when they can pay for their own.

Hey, anyone remember back when you could just agree on a time and place to meet? Everyone would show up on time. You didn't have to discuss it five times during the interim and wind up getting there late or the GPS took them to the wrong spot? Now if you don't touch base three times people think you're not coming. !
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I could not live without a smart phone. I’m typing this, as we speak from my iPhone. I probably use google 20 times a day. You have an answer to any question in seconds. It’s more of a tool than a convenience but it sure makes life easier. Of course, your mileage may vary. And I get that.
My brother is 62 years old and refuses to get one. Says they are a fad!! 😁
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I don't like land lines either.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

*duplicate post*
Last edited by Sloppy_Snood on February 26th, 2018, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Whether you realize it or not, drug addictions have now been superseded by technological addictions.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I used to use a map and a compass then we went to those gps units then I was hunting in the mountains of New Mexico and one of the guys pulled out his cell phone and said we should walk over this ridge and check out over the top of this other canyon it looks like there is an open meadow there. I said how do you know that. His reply this google earth app is great ! I love it when people talk about woodsman ship ya that and a google map app. I was watching a documentary and they were saying how the native Eskimos had an inherent built in type of gps to find their way around in the north kinda like the birds that migrate. Then within a generation of gps use and cell phones they found that the newer generation are losing it from lack of use and more reliance on technology !
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Sloppy_Snood wrote: February 26th, 2018, 9:46 am Whether you realize it or not, drug addictions have now been superseded by technological addictions.
What about sex addictions ? :slap: :dontknow: :LMAO:
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

Agree 100% a phone should be to talk on,not tex take pictures or any thing else. I do have an old flip phone but its for me if I need it I keep it turned off most of the time, if any one needs me bad enough they will call the home phone and leave a message if they don't its not that important.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

ol bob wrote: February 26th, 2018, 10:39 am Agree 100% a phone should be to talk on,not tex take pictures or any thing else. I do have an old flip phone but its for me if I need it I keep it turned off most of the time, if any one needs me bad enough they will call the home phone and leave a message if they don't its not that important.
If anyone calls us on our landline it's a call from someone we don't want or need to hear from. If it wasn't for cameras in cellphones, we probably won't have as many photos posted as we do now. Gil
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Says the guys ranting on an internet forum, some from a PC, some from a laptop, from a tablet, mysel from a smartphone. :)

I agree they consume too much of our lives, but that train left the station a long time ago.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Just saw an article on kids in the UK showing retardation of hand strength and motor skills because they grow up using devices inst ad of crayons.

and if you really want to wear the tinfoil hat look into wetwire tech. it's coming!
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

My cell phone is so old it's a party line...
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I like having the ability to silently text some of my hunting buddies a few states away to see how their hunts are going. It is definitely helpful when things are slow or when I'm at work & they're hunting. To be able to send a picture of your dead gobbler anywhere around the planet when you want is freaking magic. I have been busted from paying too much attention to the phone and not enough to my surroundings though. I don't have many apps on my phone; camera, compass, weather radar, a map program, and that's about it. I don't enable GPS because I don't want the phone company or anybody else to know where I am. That could be a problem if I ever got hurt or something, but GPS can be enabled with the press of a button. I can hear roads from every place I hunt.

Too many people definitely abuse their phones and get sucked into them too much. That's on them. It is a handy tool if you use it that way, but a phone becomes an annoying habit when it gets abused. I'm not phone dependant and can function just fine without one.

Jim
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

southpaw wrote: February 25th, 2018, 11:29 pm I will start off saying that I don't have a cell phone, not even a flip phone.

I hate what it has done to everyone. It is now an instant gratification world. Text me this text me that, look at this look at that... Don't call me, just text me. People can not live with out them.

What the heck has happened to people, you can not even go 3 seconds without checking the darn thing? Try engaging in the conversation. Heck, even when they do, you have to wait for them to view the text they got. WHAT THE FLIP!!! Is it that important that some one that you have never meet needs to know what you just did?

I cann't think of one time that some one gave me the 'finger' and they had to go right then and there. Why is it that the darn phone is more important than the conversation you have going on?

The more I see the less I want a cell phone. I get they have a use. The problem is they are abused. If you have a true problem you need to talk to a person, not see words on a screen. You need someone there fore you. They need the person.

Human contact is what has been taken away!

Jerry Jr.

I do not have a cell phone "much". I have an old trac phone I have my wife activate it with time when trapping starts here for coyotes, about Oct. 15 and then let it run down out of time when trapping is done, however I have never been stuck or broke down to use it and I never turn it on to receive calls during that time. So unless stuck or broke down, I have no cell phone either but it is a good peace of mind thing to have here during trapping season.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Bunch of dinosaurs 🦕😂
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I’m in Az on vacation and would be LOST without my iPhone. Directions, GPS, Google, phone calls, map, internet, weather, logging onto G.N. and a multitude of other uses. Could not, would not be without one! No sir... with all due respect..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”