The outlawing of male turkey decoys

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.

Would you support the outlawing of male turkey decoys?

1) Yes, I would support male turkey decoys being outlawed
20%
2) No, I would not support the outlawing of male turkey decoys
20%
3) I would rather male turkey decoys be outlawed than the limit in my state be cut
7%
4) I would support fanning/reaping only being outlawed
18%
5) I don't want any new laws
35%

Total votes: 426

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: The outlawing of male turkey decoys

Post by howl »

HunterGKS wrote: February 19th, 2018, 3:05 pm ...
Basically, if a method or tools are legal, while others may not agree with the method or use of certain tools, it's not their business & haranguing people that do is out of line.

So endith the sermon of the day. lol
So you're saying when I make fun of people at Bass Pro for shopping decoys I'm out of line? I thought it was a public service.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I hope that statement was made, tongue in cheek..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

trkykilr wrote: February 20th, 2018, 9:51 am I have not been to Nashville for the show in 6 years, but went this week because I had to pick up a mount from Cally. If you were there, the white headed Gould's strutting for the bearded hen was my piece. Cally is amazing, but that is another thread.

I was utterly disgusted at the number of reaping devices and videos of yum yums crawling around behind them. Everything is now about stopping the flop and dirt naps and thunderchickens and all other amounts of nauseating BS.

I will never go back there, and I will continue to lean up against trees, yelp birds up, and shoot them with a shotgun. I am not here to tell people what should make them happy, but damn this sport has a group of folks who are headed in a much different direction than I
Amen.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

trkykilr wrote: February 20th, 2018, 9:51 am I have not been to Nashville for the show in 6 years, but went this week because I had to pick up a mount from Cally. If you were there, the white headed Gould's strutting for the bearded hen was my piece. Cally is amazing, but that is another thread.

I was utterly disgusted at the number of reaping devices and videos of yum yums crawling around behind them. Everything is now about stopping the flop and dirt naps and thunderchickens and all other amounts of nauseating BS.

I will never go back there, and I will continue to lean up against trees, yelp birds up, and shoot them with a shotgun. I am not here to tell people what should make them happy, but damn this sport has a group of folks who are headed in a much different direction than I
i understand what your exactly saying. But me idc how anybody else hunts . Who cares. I hardly ever use any but I will if I feel like but I don’t want to see them get banned. That’s stupid. I still use the Cherokee blow up ones. Lol I use a tail fan some. I didn’t use one at all last year cause I didn’t need to. Never had a situation arise that I needed to but I don’t want to see it banned. Just my 3 cents. Who cares.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

GLS wrote: February 20th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Amen.

I'll second that AMEN...

It's ok if it's legal.....sorry people but I don't agree. Gay marriage and smoking dope is legal in a lot of places now also. I wont be partaking in either.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

howl wrote: February 18th, 2018, 12:27 pm Well, maybe there ought to be a law protecting anyone who accidentally shoots one of these fools.

tail-chaser-max-field-no-background.jpg
Without turning this into a peeing contest any State that allows the use of rifles and reaping is asking for a big accident. Somewhere in the last day or so someone posted (don't think it was this forum) how they got a snap 150 yard shot at a bird with his .270. Scary. We are lucky to hunt tightly controlled private land but every season our cameras will pick up someone walking through that neither we nor the ranch owners/managers know. You may think it is safe to reap - until it isn't.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

We will all just have to use transgender decoys if male decoys are outlawed, remember, ya can't discriminate against the transgender stuff so we will be safe. :LMAO:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

joey46 wrote: February 21st, 2018, 7:00 pm
howl wrote: February 18th, 2018, 12:27 pm Well, maybe there ought to be a law protecting anyone who accidentally shoots one of these fools.

Without turning this into a peeing contest any State that allows the use of rifles and reaping is asking for a big accident. Somewhere in the last day or so someone posted (don't think it was this forum) how they got a snap 150 yard shot at a bird with his .270. Scary. We are lucky to hunt tightly controlled private land but every season our cameras will pick up someone walking through that neither we nor the ranch owners/managers know. You may think it is safe to reap - until it isn't.
Why is the first thought about whether a state allows it or not? Why should the government have any say in what free people do? Why is the answer to every difference to throw someone in a cage if they can't get their law passed? That was my argument.

The reapers are free to reap. Others should be free from prosecution if the reaping goes awry. Nature will sort it out right quick with no involvement from government. I realize many want government granted privilege so they can be left alone instead of having to preserve their own freedom, but this is a new trend. People used to take responsibility for themselves without resorting to the threat of government force to have their way. Hunting deaths used to be treated as the accidents they so often are rather than being characterized as crimes per law. Things were naturally sorted out.

If our rights are based in Nature, why try to preserve them unnaturally? Do the natural thing. Tell the fool he's gonna get shot and nobody will feel sorry for him for being an idiot. Smack the kid upside the head and tell him to stop playing with dolls.

If somebody loves reaping enough to pay the cost, good for them. I'm hoping my cost will be paid while drinking beer and eating bbq, face down in a pile of hash, rice and ribs. I'll be more than a little put out if the government restricts dekes or requires steel shot, or worse yet, bans pork fat.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

howl wrote: February 21st, 2018, 9:25 pm
joey46 wrote: February 21st, 2018, 7:00 pm

I'll be more than a little put out if the government restricts dekes or requires steel shot, or worse yet, bans pork fat.

Actually there are some laws in effect. In PA fanning is illegal. There are laws on National Wildlife refuges that non toxic shot must be used...and my favorite...NO gobbler decoy's. It wasn't too many years ago that decoys were illegal in the state of Alabama. I'm with you on the pork fat though.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Probably get thrown under bus for this response. I have been in this pissing match a billion times. I was probably one of the first to use a full mount strutter, dumbest thing I've seen, 600 yards see Sprint is on, birds I had no chance to kill came the extra yards. I quit, using after 2-3 years, it simply was to effective and took away how I love to kill.

Reaping came on later, sal can reap as well as anyone. She reaps a bird, no congratulations, she knows this. I don't believe in it.

But I gotta say this year guiding again in Florida and okie possibly Tennessee and Kentucky, my happy ass is pulling out all the stops. Been in contact with a decoy company and everything for outfitters pricing.

I hate hunting a decoy, but when it comes down to it and your tip depends on it... Yeah give me 5-6 and a fan...
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Nah, man. You don't have to go through all that. Just set some limb lines. Bait 'em with corn like Native women used to do. You can just drive up and let the sport pop 'em through the window and have plenty of time to go hit a drive-thru for breakfast. There'll be some by-catch of hens, but who cares? A brother's gotta get paid!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”