ScoutLook app

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

ScoutLook app

Post by OLE RASPY »

Does anyone have this app on there phone.
I wondering if it is accurate on measuring distance and area.
Reason I ask cause I’ve been on there measuring distance from one wood line to another in some places I hunt and it sure looks longer than what that app says. But it may be right. Just wanted to see if anybody has checked it.
I also been measuring for acres on my place with it to see how much I bushhog and that seems off to. Maybe it ain’t though. I can check it for real sometime but as of now wanted to see what y’all have to say. Thanks
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
augasman

Re: ScoutLook app

Post by augasman »

As a former timber cruiser, I can tell you that the majority of tracts aren't exactly as advertised. Very few land lines run as straight as they're supposed to. Also, on occasion, I've checked acreage with a handheld GPS to find a difference of plus or minus as much as ten acres. If it were me, I'd put my stock in the app.
augasman

Post by augasman »

Side note. The app doesn't account for changes in elevation, so the distance it covers doesn't account for actual distance travelled on the ground.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I have ScoutLook and HuntStand. I like HuntStand because it gives you owners info and seems very accurate as far as boundaries.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
woodsman1977

Post by woodsman1977 »

x2 on the huntstand.

I am on there right now in fact. Although I use the mobile app....the PC is really nice too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

CamoMan4025 wrote: January 15th, 2018, 12:41 pm I have ScoutLook and HuntStand. I like HuntStand because it gives you owners info and seems very accurate as far as boundaries.
Guy at the local archery shop showed me that app. Pretty nice and I used it several times this year.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

THanks augusman
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
ZachFel

Post by ZachFel »

Cheers for making me aware of these apps. I understand that they can't be 100% accurate, but I suppose it's better than nothing, right?
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Not sure of other apps, but I live and die by Hunt OnX. I understand outside survey nothing is foolproof as far as lines. But I cannot recall a time in three states whereas you don't walk up to a line and you hit a change in timber, fence, brush row etc.

Leads me to believe from the satellites to GPS capabilities on our phones is scary accurate.

To answer your question I'll have to range a distance via phone while range finding same tree, fencepost etc. For shooting purposes, I bet it's damb close and not a worry
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: January 17th, 2018, 10:05 pm Not sure of other apps, but I live and die by Hunt OnX. I understand outside survey nothing is foolproof as far as lines. But I cannot recall a time in three states whereas you don't walk up to a line and you hit a change in timber, fence, brush row etc.

Leads me to believe from the satellites to GPS capabilities on our phones is scary accurate.

To answer your question I'll have to range a distance via phone while range finding same tree, fencepost etc. For shooting purposes, I bet it's damb close and not a worry
X2 Tom, OnX maps have been on the line in every state I've used it when on forest service land, or private land also! :thumbup:
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

:cheers: I have ScoutLook. As far as measurements I would trust the app. I once used it to get out of the woods after getting confused looking for a deer( found the deer). Here in MS the wind predictions aren’t always spot on ( trust but verify with another source) but I love being able to mark my stands, your stands, where I heard gobbles etc.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”