Sunrise

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
hobbes

Sunrise

Post by hobbes »

First Montana sunrise of 2018.
I had to crop the photo since I don't have a clear view of the sunrise from my backyard. I also tweaked the photo some making it look a little warmer than it probably should since it was around -5 and 10" of snow.

Ridgeking

Re: Sunrise

Post by Ridgeking »

Beautiful! Pretty much the same weather here in Wisconsin.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

-33 to 25 above,,,58 degree warmer, I'll take it, we got about 8 in. of snow is all but I'm sure the turkeys in the mountains I hunt are wading through a lot deeper stuff.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Great pic. and thanks for posting it :thumbup: :thumbup:

Grumpy ... I sure hope yer' turkeys fare well in this cussed weather, cause I'm still waitin' fer' and invite from ya' fer' this next spring, "IF" it works out with my busy schedule !! :banghead: :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

soiltester, they will be fine, they winter on a big ranch with a large cattle operation and fly into where he feeds the cattle and get plenty of grain. Out in the open pasture where they unroll the large round bales for the cattle, hay and grain both there is as many turkeys feeding as cattle. The owner told me he figures there is at least 300 winter on his ranch. You are welcome at my camp anytime.

Our spring season is always the second Saturday in April to the third Sunday of May.
Seems like the early in the season the better around here and it is all private where I hunt and I have never seen another hunter or ever heard any shots fired but mine.
BeardBuster

Post by BeardBuster »

Grumpy wrote:soiltester, they will be fine, they winter on a big ranch with a large cattle operation and fly into where he feeds the cattle and get plenty of grain. Out in the open pasture where they unroll the large round bales for the cattle, hay and grain both there is as many turkeys feeding as cattle. The owner told me he figures there is at least 300 winter on his ranch. You are welcome at my camp anytime.

Our spring season is always the second Saturday in April to the third Sunday of May.
Seems like the early in the season the better around here and it is all private where I hunt and I have never seen another hunter or ever heard any shots fired but mine.
Sounds like a good deal for you Grumpy. I’ve heard how those Merriams have adapted and taken advantage of those cattle operations during the winter. Makes you wonder how they would survive a harsh winter without the cattle operations around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

BeardBuster wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 7:39 am
Grumpy wrote:soiltester, they will be fine, they winter on a big ranch with a large cattle operation and fly into where he feeds the cattle and get plenty of grain. Out in the open pasture where they unroll the large round bales for the cattle, hay and grain both there is as many turkeys feeding as cattle. The owner told me he figures there is at least 300 winter on his ranch. You are welcome at my camp anytime.

Sounds like a good deal for you Grumpy. I’ve heard how those Merriams have adapted and taken advantage of those cattle operations during the winter. Makes you wonder how they would survive a harsh winter without the cattle operations around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beardbuster, wild turkeys are not a native bird of Montana because of the deep mountain snows and lack of feed, without these ranchers feeding winter cattle there would be no turkeys in this area at all.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Awesome view to start the new year!!! :usa:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”