Gila Wilderness Turkey Trip

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Splittoe

Gila Wilderness Turkey Trip

Post by Splittoe »

My old college roomate and myself took a trip to Gila New Mexico to try to harvest a few Merriam's. This was my first time going after Merriams. He and his dad had went a few years ago and missed a total of 3 and killed 1. So I figured it'd be a sure thing. I did some running and working out to get in shape. But one thing I couldn't train for was the altitude. My house is 212' above sea level. Our camp was around 7800' above sea level. We hiked in 5 miles to a stream where we set up camp. Here is a pic of me with my pack.

The first evening was going to be a scouting expedition. He went upstream I went downstream. He tells me they come from one mountain then go up another with the stream being in the middle. So I set up on the mountain that they are going to. About 615 I hear a gobble. I give them a few calls and they respond back with their goofy gobbles and I can tell it's two. About 5 minutes later I spy them crossing the creek. They come in a string except there is a ravine going up the mountain they are going on the opposite side of it. When they get to the same elevation as me I figure they've gotten as close as possible and put the dot on the lead one's head. He folds and the back gobbler jumps/flies about 8' and lands and just stands there. I've been on too many hunts where I've regretted passing on animals and in NM you can fill both of your tags in a day. So I let the second one have a load of TSS too. He crumbles. I think to myself there's nothing to killing these mountain birds. Drove 18 hours and limited out in 3 hours.

Both had thin 9" beards and rounded spurs. Not sure of the weight but I know their fans are at least 3" bigger than the Eastern fans I have.

Next morning we setup on a gobbling bird, but he hangs up at about 125 yards. I try everything to get him to move, but I'm guessing it was so open he knew he should see a hen. Eventually he loses interest and walks back where he came from. Later in the morning we get on a pair. They also hang up briefly, but for some reason my buddy decides he can belly crawl and get over the rise and shoot them. Naturally they spook before he can shoot. I cussed him and called him impatient. After that morning for the next 3 days we were never able to get on a bird. We'd hear some gobbles on the roost then silence. Made me glad I went ahead and shot the second bird. It was a great trip with scenery. I need to go back to my property and hear a eastern gobble so I can get that goofy gobbling out of my head.

Here are a few scenery pics.

Nothing like a nap in the early afternoon to get you going.

Tools of the trade

Nothing beats fresh turkey over a fire.

FuzzSawyer

Re: Gila Wilderness Turkey Trip

Post by FuzzSawyer »

Sounds like an awesome trip! Sweet pics too!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

That was a great read. The pictures were very cool. Congrats on a nice trip..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

Nice pics and congrats on a successful trip.
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Beautiful country there, congrats on a great trip.
"INFIDEL"
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

Cool pics! Congrats on two great looking birds!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Man that was a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
aristico

Post by aristico »

nice hunt congrats
Preacher

Post by Preacher »

how hard ws it to get tags? nice pictures and scenery!!
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

Preacher wrote:how hard ws it to get tags?

They are over the counter.

I remember that area very well. We hunted when I was there at 10,000. Congrats on a couple fine birds!
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

congrats on the double!

I can tell you I too wasn't ready for the air issue. My dad and I went to Rifle Colorado and after 3 days I was whooped. Thank the Lord for Grizzly 4wheelers!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Good stuff right there congrats..
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I have never had altitude sickness until a few years ago. I have hunt at 10,000' with no problem but I went to CO for a late season elk hunt on public land. We were on horseback 15 miles from anything and camped at 11,100. I was absolutely worthless the first day. It's like being seasick, you can't get away from it. It went away by the next day but it was no fun the first day. I've hunted Gila and had a great hunt. I've also hunt the border of NM near Area 1 and 27 of AZ. It's not easy finding turkeys but once you do your going to be in the turkeys. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Beautiful scenery! Congratus on filling your two tags!

I'm trying to get in shape for a 9,000 ft merriams hunt in a couple weeks. I imagine I'll be struggling the first day regardless, going from 300'.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”