Meadow mushrooms

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
RapscallionVermilion

Meadow mushrooms

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

My wife and I were up in the mountains of southern Colorado last week and found some fantastic blooms of meadow mushrooms, aka pink bellies. These are one of my all time favorite mushrooms to eat. Close relatives of the usual store mushroom, but much more flavor. This bunch was shared with friends on some mushroom swiss burgers.
Fatmo

Re: Meadow mushrooms

Post by Fatmo »

Wow, very nice score! We don't have them here in Pa.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Man those look like they wood be good
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I saw different mushrooms everywhere in the mountains of central Colorado but never knew what was edible. There was one really big mushroom that guys would hunt for then sell to the chefs in Vail, but I didnt know how to identify it.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

RapVerm, those are beauts. I tend to stick just to the chanterelle family as it is plentiful here, tasty and fairly easy to id. Here's a pile I found Saturday. Before the photo, I used enough to fill out an omelet. Mushrooming off season in the same woods I hunt turkeys is both rewarding and keeps me in the woods when most folks aren't. It's a great way to extend a love of the outdoors not to mention they are fine eating. Gil
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Nice haul Gil. We'll make our first trek of the year to look for chanterelles in NM in another week or so. I agree, a great way to get back out into the woods and share some beautiful country with the rest of the family. Here we can also combine mushroom hunting with dusky grouse hunting once September rolls around. These gilled mushrooms do take some extra care in id.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I love the morrell's but here in WV where I live they are getting harder and harder to find, the timber companies are slowly wiping out their habitat. I use to have a couple different places that I could pick all that I wanted but both places was timbered and the morrell's are all but gone there.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

turkeyinstrut wrote: August 1st, 2017, 11:02 am I love the morrell's but here in WV where I live they are getting harder and harder to find, the timber companies are slowly wiping out their habitat. I use to have a couple different places that I could pick all that I wanted but both places was timbered and the morrell's are all but gone there.
I used to find 20-25lbs a year turkey hunting. Emerald ash borer and Dutch elm disease has killed it. When the elms first started shedding bark, nothing to find 100 under one.

We still have great habitat for blacks thankfully, which I would rather eat
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Living below the fall line, we don't have morels here. They seem to be in middle to northern Georgia above the fall line. Advantage of chants is that they are found from the first heavy rain in June until the first cold snap in October. Morels don't have as long a season. Gil
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: August 1st, 2017, 11:52 am
turkeyinstrut wrote: August 1st, 2017, 11:02 am I love the morrell's but here in WV where I live they are getting harder and harder to find, the timber companies are slowly wiping out their habitat. I use to have a couple different places that I could pick all that I wanted but both places was timbered and the morrell's are all but gone there.
I used to find 20-25lbs a year turkey hunting. Emerald ash borer and Dutch elm disease has killed it. When the elms first started shedding bark, nothing to find 100 under one.

We still have great habitat for blacks thankfully, which I would rather eat
The morrell's are the only wild shroom's I have ever ate, love them rolled in flour and fried in butter.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”