TAKING THE ONE-SHOT CHALLENGE.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
quavers16

TAKING THE ONE-SHOT CHALLENGE.

Post by quavers16 »

I have been wanted to buy a single-shot turkey shotgun for some years now and got one yesterday after rereading on of my Turkey And Turkey Hunting mags from March of 2005. A great article by Jim Spencer--THE VETERANS--STILL ENJOYING THE CHALLENGE. The article was about Tom Cawthon Sr. (Turkey Tom) age 80. When I reread that his standby turkey gun was a century old Hopkins and Allen 12 gauge single shot that he bought more then 30 years ago at that time for 5 bucks-- I just had to go out and buy my single shot. I bought a nice Stevens 12 gauge single shot in black matte for 160 bucks. Under 6 pounds too!! Nice pic of Cawthon sitting and holding his single shot and a box caller. No telling how many turkeys he took with it! So, I will be taking the single shot challenge starting this Fall. I do alot of walking around when I turkey hunt and a gun of 6 pounds is just right for this older guy---58 in September.
ole5beards

Re: TAKING THE ONE-SHOT CHALLENGE.

Post by ole5beards »

Just curious but the guy in the article Tom Cawthon Sr. did it say where he was from?
Pass the biscuits!!
quavers16

Re: TAKING THE ONE-SHOT CHALLENGE.

Post by quavers16 »

If I remember correctly- I think it was Arkansas.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”