Number Of Wild Turkeys--What Is Your Goal In A Season??

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Number Of Wild Turkeys--What Is Your Goal In A Season??

Post by soiltester »

I like to think I can get a gobbler off my property every 3 years, but the neighbors poaching and #'s thinning here, make it just about a dream!!

Love to have other areas and trips to hunt and to relax and enjoy the company and everything else involved with the trips!! It seems then, that the toms just will be there ;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Steve, speaking of hunting to a ripe old age: A friend's dad died 3 months shy of his 98th birthday. He loved turkey hunting and his last season was the spring of his 97th year. His son would wheel him out to a blind over a clover patch and he killed a bird his last season. He was a wealthy man, commanded an LCI at Okinawa, educated at Yale and his blood was deep blue. In his obit, it mentioned his love of turkey hunting and asked for donations in remembrance to his church or the NWTF. Gil
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

I have two goals each season:

1) to make sure to enjoy every second of it with as many friends/family as possible. Whoever kills the bird is fine with me, and I actually hope it's my wingman

2) I identify a turkey (usually from the season before) and kill him on a solo hunt. I enjoy hunting with folks, but to got ninja on one solo is important once per year. Once I decide which bird to hunt solo, I go until I kill him. Every other hunt of the year, I'm with someone
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Great replys here! Thanks for sharing. If I get just 1 gobbler- I am still happy as I will always remember my first 5 full Springs of no birds taken! Finally took one in that 5th Spring with less then 1 week left.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Gil, that's great that someone was able to kill a turkey at 97. I'm afraid I have too many health issues to hope for that, but I will hunt as long as I can. It's a great sacrifice, but I gotta feed my starving family. :)
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I'm not much of a numbers guy when it comes to turkey hunting, I prefer quality over quantity. With that said I try and fill all tags available to me each spring, here in AL that number is 5. I'd love to be able to tag out each year, and some years are better than others, however I'll never reach #2-#5 unless I start with #1. My goal each spring is to fill 1 tag, I feel if I can do that then the rest are just bonuses.
Pass the biscuits!!
Meleagris

Post by Meleagris »

I try to fill every available tag I have. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Always finish the season wishing "man, I sure would like to kill just one more". It never gets old.
hootn

Post by hootn »

I consider having a great season by taking at least one bird on the national forest land, in bama. But I don't give up if I don't. I can say all of my birds on my slam except for the Osceola has been on public land. Think the most here in bama for me was 4 one year with 2 of them on forest land

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Great replys here!!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Only goal I ever had was to just fill my tags with Gobblers.
ImageImageImage
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I have lots of goals in a season. kill all my turkeys, help friends kill all their turkeys, and help a few kids kill a turkey or two. I hate to see any of my friends eat a tag, it seems to bother me more than it does them. :lol:
El Sicario
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I have only set a number goal once. Was hunting two days here at home with two tags, travel a day and hunt two days with 4 tags in TX, travel a day and hunt 3 days in OK with 3 tags. I was just arrogant enough to expect to fill 9 tags in 9 days with only 7 being hunting days. I did kill one at home before leaving. Battled 30 degree temps, sleet and 60 mph wind in TX and filled one tag in 2 days. Got my butt handed to me every way imaginable in OK and watched more strutters and heard more gobbling in 3 days than maybe any three days I have hunted. It was still a really fun trip and a great time with friends. Haven't worried about numbers since. I have been on trips where the flopping was stunning. A buddy and I killed 12 in 3 days hunting on one trip. I value both trips equally. Never really considered #'s again. I haven't counted gobblers killed in my lifetime and don't care. I regularly killed 10 or more a Spring until having children. Now travelling is rare and vacation is used for family trips. I'm ok with all of it. What seems to happen is I want to kill every one I hear gobble. The more I hear him gobble, the more I want to kill him. I'm sure ready to hear another one. I prefer hunting with family and friends. Enjoy it just as much when they shoot. Occasionally, I really want to kill one and then I like to be alone.

No goal for me.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

trkykilr wrote: July 15th, 2017, 11:23 am

2) I identify a turkey (usually from the season before) and kill him on a solo hunt. I enjoy hunting with folks, but to got ninja on one solo is important once per year. Once I decide which bird to hunt solo, I go until I kill him. Every other hunt of the year, I'm with someone
Totally agree or even that year said bird makes you look a fool in front of someone. Haven't run into one in a few years
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

guesswho wrote: July 14th, 2017, 12:46 pm My goal is to kill one more than Gobbler. Most years that's 1. I figure if I don't kill one I still have a good chance of tying.
:LMAO: My goal is to hunt with you and help you get that elusive 2nd Gobbler so your season will be one to remember. :D
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

What ky allows. I'll be finishing my royal slam next spring. After that prolly won't travel no more. Unless my buddy talks me into going for the world slam. :lol: I don't really care to kill the ocellated. Its more like a peacock in my book.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

No body count goals; only real goal is that I get my affairs arranged so that I can hunt as much as possible.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Just fill my tags. That varied from year to year.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Gobbler Talk”