Retirement destination

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
willie

Re: Retirement destination

Post by willie »

well i am retired and i only have 3 more payments on my 1967 gmc and then she will be mine and we will travel the world. :thumbup:
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Great post to reply to! Alot of well known late turkey hunters are all from the same general area of Mississippi and Alabama. Men like Gene Nunnery,Ben Rogers Lee, and Jack Dudley. I would love to retire to somewhere close to Meridian, Mississippi or just on the Alabama side which is not too far away from Meridian. 5 gobblers in Alabama and 3 for Mississippi each Season if I could bag them all!!! Then up to my native New York to finish my Spring turkey Season with a few hunts in my New Jersey haunts. Reading right now-OTHA BARHAM'S---Spring Beconings----Gobblers Call And We Must Go. He is from Meridian Mississippi. Awesome book. 51/2 years to retire--hopefully...
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

If I did move close to Meridian-- I would try to catch a few hunts with Otha Barham for sure!
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

quavers16 wrote: July 19th, 2017, 2:25 pm I would love to retire to somewhere close to Meridian, Mississippi or just on the Alabama side which is not too far away from Meridian. 5 gobblers in Alabama and 3 for Mississippi each Season if I could bag them all!!!
You don't have to retire to do this, I know a guy who's been doing this for years, except he lives on the Alabama/Georgia line. Has an Alabama residence and a GA drivers license, the best of both worlds along with 8 legal tags!
Pass the biscuits!!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Do we have any New Mexicans on the board? The Gila being near Elephant Butte looking interesting. Hot, though.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Western KY is a really nice place (It's practically home) and I really like the LBL area. The fishing can be great around the lakes and we used to kill the big stripers below the dam. However, the summer heat combined with the humidity is enough to make me want to stay west. If I choose to move back east some day, it will be back home into that region of the country.

The toughest part of Montana for some folks is the winter. Winters have been fairly mild since I've been here, but last winter showed some signs of a real Montana winter. I believe that tends to clear out those that were riding the fence on staying here. There are crappie in SE Montana and probably some in Fort Peck, but Fort Peck's fishing for walleye, smallmouth, northerners, and multiple other species will make up for not having the big stripers. We also have the cold water species here in the mountains. However, that is spread out over a huge area and the Fort Peck area wouldn't be near the top of the list of places to live. Most of Montana is very remote unless you are near one of the bigger towns.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

howl wrote: July 21st, 2017, 5:09 pm Do we have any New Mexicans on the board? The Gila being near Elephant Butte looking interesting. Hot, though.
I've been here 30+ years now. GobbleNut way longer :D . It is certainly hot in the summer, but the evenings always cool off. I just spent a week in St. Louis, MO for work. Now that was hot. Personally I would rather be in the mountains than down by the Rio Grande. Much cooler. Happy to answer any questions you have. I could certainly see retiring here but would get further out of the city. My wife and I are both from the northeast originally, and do miss ready access to abundant water and shorter trips for hunting and fishing. We are still considering the northeast or northwest for retirement too.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

RapscallionVermilion wrote: July 22nd, 2017, 3:14 pm
howl wrote: July 21st, 2017, 5:09 pm Do we have any New Mexicans on the board? The Gila being near Elephant Butte looking interesting. Hot, though.
I've been here 30+ years now. GobbleNut way longer :D . It is certainly hot in the summer, but the evenings always cool off. I just spent a week in St. Louis, MO for work. Now that was hot. Personally I would rather be in the mountains than down by the Rio Grande. Much cooler. Happy to answer any questions you have. I could certainly see retiring here but would get further out of the city. My wife and I are both from the northeast originally, and do miss ready access to abundant water and shorter trips for hunting and fishing. We are still considering the northeast or northwest for retirement too.
Those differences in weather are hard to account for. I read that Lake Caballo is over 4000' elevation. It seems like it might cool off sometimes, but is generally hot in the day. That height here is cool enough weather all summer. We go camping in the summer here and 3000' is cool enough. The water is about too cold to swim in July. What kind of elevation would you look for in the SW to be comfortable outside in the afternoon?
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

howl wrote: July 22nd, 2017, 3:51 pm
Those differences in weather are hard to account for. I read that Lake Caballo is over 4000' elevation. It seems like it might cool off sometimes, but is generally hot in the day. That height here is cool enough weather all summer. We go camping in the summer here and 3000' is cool enough. The water is about too cold to swim in July. What kind of elevation would you look for in the SW to be comfortable outside in the afternoon?
I live at 6000' and if you are in the shade, it never really is that bad outside thanks to the overall dry climate. But get up around 8000 feet in the mountains around Cloudcroft or Taos and it could easily be 10 degrees cooler in the summer. Overall I would say it is pretty easy to be outside here most of the year. Not much in the way of biting insects. The direct sun and dehydration is what gets you. Down towards the Gila, I'd look at Silver City too. The abundant hunting and fishing was a big factor in deciding to come here for my job. The only real downside in that respect is that it is so spread out, so lots of driving.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Life without humidity and bugs sounds awesome.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

I take my choice as Missouri back and change it to New Mexico! It's supposed to hit 101 here today with heat index of 116.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I noted the weather report there was better than here in GA, too. And no grass to mow!
trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

The Montana winters don't bother me I spent many winters out there with the low humidity it dosnt feel that bad when it gets cold in the north east it goes rite thru you my uncle lives out there and owns a pack of hounds and I run lions with him all winter I love the cold and snow way more then the heat
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

An old friend was a professional bull rider back in the day. During the winter when the circuit was closed, he'd help fellow riders who were also MT and WY ranchers cut fences during blizzards. He could've lived anywhere in the US. He moved to the lowcountry after experiencing 50 below weather cutting fences in the mountains of the NW. Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I'm good down into the teens. Breaking ice with a canoe to jump ducks is a good morning. Feet of snow and high winds is for other people. I think having a country home base with a small motorhome to escape the months with extreme weather is a good strategy. Spending a few months per year hiding out inside in the heat or a/c ain't for me.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I heard that! I briefly considered buying a lot on the beach over there when prices were next to nothing. Then I reflected on how much I hate sand gnats.
Vavra

Post by Vavra »

swampchicken wrote: July 11th, 2017, 6:13 pm I'm partial to and 6 turkeys a year, 3 bucks a year (there are some nice ones), crappie are good to excellent, and a good fly way for ducks and geese.
Yep, Missouri is a great place to retire.
Last edited by Vavra on August 7th, 2021, 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
WilliamBucher

Post by WilliamBucher »

ole5beards wrote: July 19th, 2017, 2:53 pm
quavers16 wrote: July 19th, 2017, 2:25 pm to retire to somewhere close to phentermine Meridian, Mississippi or just on the Alabama side which is not too far away from Meridian. 5 gobblers in Alabama and 3 for Mississippi each Season if I could bag them all!!!
You don't have to retire to do this, I know a guy who's been doing this for years, except he lives on the Alabama/Georgia line. Has an Alabama residence and a GA drivers license, the best of both worlds along with 8 legal tags!
This is a great idea. Many thanks for mentioning this, I'm going to do the same - I won't have to wait until my retirement.
Last edited by WilliamBucher on September 9th, 2022, 6:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
firedup

Post by firedup »

Western Kentucky is nice country. If LBL suits you I would suggest you look into a house boat. That opens so many huge doors in that country with all the lakes available. There are many lake side homes and such as well. Camping areas. Another similar option is western and central TN. Lots of public land to hunt. Liberal limits and nice rolling to flat topography for the most part. In the right western TN location you could hunt multiple states pretty easily. Great to be in a position to entertain such ideas! Congrats!!
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

I love to visit and see other places, but I am where I belong and there is no other place I would rather be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Western KY was at the top of the list. Then I saw KY has one of the earliest average ages of death. :dontknow:

I was born in raised in the Sandhills of SC, was graduated from USC and spent several years travelling the state for work. I do miss the BBQ.
DanielRector

Post by DanielRector »

firedup wrote: October 15th, 2018, 7:47 pm Western Kentucky is nice country. If LBL suits you I would suggest you look into a house boat. That opens so many huge doors in that country with all the lakes available. There are many lake side homes and such as well. Camping areas. Another using phenq 1 month option is western and central TN. Lots of public land to hunt. Liberal limits and nice rolling to flat topography for the most part. In the right western TN location you could hunt multiple states pretty easily. Great to be in a position to entertain such ideas! Congrats!!
A house boat is a great idea. Going to check out Western Kentucky next month. Thanks for the tip.
Last edited by DanielRector on October 1st, 2020, 5:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

howl wrote: October 16th, 2018, 11:19 am Western KY was at the top of the list. Then I saw KY has one of the earliest average ages of death. :dontknow:

I was born in raised in the Sandhills of SC, was graduated from USC and spent several years travelling the state for work. I do miss the BBQ.
The low average is due to eastern Ky coal mining and drug problems
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

willie wrote: July 17th, 2017, 10:17 pm well i am retired and i only have 3 more payments on my 1967 gmc and then she will be mine and we will travel the world. :thumbup:
:LMAO: :usa:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

First off was is rockfishing?
Mike

Return to “Gobbler Talk”