Retirement destination

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ncturkey

Re: Retirement destination

Post by ncturkey »

When I retire again. Yes I retired one time already. But then I got a real job ten days later.
When I retire for good I will probably stay right where I live in North Carolina. Not much snow in the winter and not too bad for being hot in the summer.
I enjoy traveling. The wife and I are thinking about buying a Motorcoach and drive all across the US. Plus I can travel to every state and hunt turkeys and what ever else I want too. I do love fly fishing too.
Fly fishing out west sounds good. I plan on going to Yellowstone and few other National Park when I retire.
I hope to retire after my daughter graduates from collage in 2022. But I may just part time and work when I want too. That will help fund my hunting and fishing trips and help my daughter with the cost of grad school.
But for right now I am just happy to be living, working and enjoying the family. Plus I am really ready for opening day of Wild Turkey a Season.
Mike
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Well, I'm retired and Dorothy was right: "There's no place like home." Besides that, all my stuff is here and I can't imagine picking it up, much less moving it. Gil
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

howl wrote: July 21st, 2017, 5:09 pm Do we have any New Mexicans on the board? The Gila being near Elephant Butte looking interesting. Hot, though.
I like Raton, New Mexico.
Mike
RussM311

Post by RussM311 »

Retire where the taxes are low, the medical community is top notch, and people are friendly. Then buy a motorhome as your "vacation home" and visit all the places you have on your bucket list. Find something to keep your mind busy... part time work, volunteering, hobbies... read a lot.... Having retired twice already, I have moved away... then came back home... too many friends to leave behind. Bought the motorhome, and do a little consulting to keep the mind exercised... now we travel where, and when we wish... hunt turkeys in the spring and head to Canada in the fall. Whatever you decide to do..... do it.... jump in with both feet.... Don't get to the end of your life and look back at all the things you wish you had done.

Hope everyone has a great and safe season.....
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

GLS wrote: July 17th, 2017, 10:25 am My Montana/Wyoming/Idaho connections were lucky. In addition to Chuck in the photo I posted, I knew the brother-in-law of a local man who every year after retirement from the USAF, would leave Warner Robbins, Ga, towing a large Airstream-type camper to the West Yellowstone area in May-June. He would take a northern route in those months. After the first snow, he'd head south and take a southern route back home. Vic was a serious fisherman, as was Chuck, and had the pulse on the Yellowstone area waters. He'd take his wife who would stay at the campground and knit during the day. I had the good luck to stay with Vic for two weeks when Gerry flew home early. Vic lived on the Warner Robbins AFB golf course and lived the life of Riley during his retirement, playing golf when he wasn't fishing in Yellowstone. I had a ball fishing with Vic during the times I went to Yellowstone. Between Vic and Chuck, I had the best fishing guides from two good men money couldn't buy. Gil
That is very cool Gil.
Mike
FrankRounds

Post by FrankRounds »

Grumpey wrote: July 12th, 2017, 11:46 am I am going to try phenq from amazon[/url] and retire where all they do is fish and have sex and they don't fish in the winter.
Well, I'm retired and Dorothy was right: "There's no place like home." Besides that, all my stuff is here and I can't imagine picking it up, much less moving it. Gil
Last edited by FrankRounds on May 4th, 2022, 5:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

howl wrote: July 22nd, 2017, 3:51 pm
RapscallionVermilion wrote: July 22nd, 2017, 3:14 pm
howl wrote: July 21st, 2017, 5:09 pm Do we have any New Mexicans on the board? The Gila being near Elephant Butte looking interesting. Hot, though.
I've been here 30+ years now. GobbleNut way longer :D . It is certainly hot in the summer, but the evenings always cool off. I just spent a week in St. Louis, MO for work. Now that was hot. Personally I would rather be in the mountains than down by the Rio Grande. Much cooler. Happy to answer any questions you have. I could certainly see retiring here but would get further out of the city. My wife and I are both from the northeast originally, and do miss ready access to abundant water and shorter trips for hunting and fishing. We are still considering the northeast or northwest for retirement too.
Those differences in weather are hard to account for. I read that Lake Caballo is over 4000' elevation. It seems like it might cool off sometimes, but is generally hot in the day. That height here is cool enough weather all summer. We go camping in the summer here and 3000' is cool enough. The water is about too cold to swim in July. What kind of elevation would you look for in the SW to be comfortable outside in the afternoon?
I live in Las Cruces, which is 75 miles south of Elephant Butte. Both areas are high desert country,...dry, hot summers and mild winters for the most part. If hunting is your thing, you can't beat this area. Turkey hunting is great, but we also have a wide variety of big game and small game species. Mule deer, Coues Whitetail, elk, pronghorn, desert bighorn, African orxy, Persian ibex, Barbary sheep, javelina, are all available,...although most are by drawing. Lots of small game hunting, as well,...dove, quail, waterfowl, squirrels, rabbits,....and predators.

As you said, the Gila is just west of Elephant Butte and provides lots of outdoor activities,...trout fishing and hunting an assortment of game,...and Elephant Butte, Caballo Lake, and the Rio Grande offer warm water fishing, as well. For folks that are used to a lot of rain, greenery, and trees, this area is a bit of a change,...but most folks that relocate here end up being glad they did.

On the other hand, if big city living appeals to you, this is not the place to come...
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

GobbleNut wrote: March 24th, 2019, 10:35 pm
Mule deer, Coues Whitetail, elk, pronghorn, desert bighorn, African orxy, Persian ibex, Barbary sheep, javelina, are all available,...although most are by drawing.
.. ay, there's the rub. No point system in our tag lottery, so inevitably some will beat the odds and others will be on the other tail of the distribution. Too many, it seems, go year after year without drawing a tag. Where I work there is quite an extended network of guys that put in and compare notes after the draw. Last year one guy drew one tag.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

RapscallionVermilion wrote: March 24th, 2019, 11:23 pm
GobbleNut wrote: March 24th, 2019, 10:35 pm
Mule deer, Coues Whitetail, elk, pronghorn, desert bighorn, African orxy, Persian ibex, Barbary sheep, javelina, are all available,...although most are by drawing.
.. ay, there's the rub. No point system in our tag lottery, so inevitably some will beat the odds and others will be on the other tail of the distribution. Too many, it seems, go year after year without drawing a tag. Where I work there is quite an extended network of guys that put in and compare notes after the draw. Last year one guy drew one tag.
Yeah,...don't get me started on the NM drawing system, Mike!
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Two retired couples at our church live here in MT roughly March through December. They spend January, February, and at least part of March in Arizona with a camper and a boat fishing and enjoying the weather. They still haven't returned this year.

I'd consider the same but may add in some January archery coues and mule deer along with quail hunting. By the time I can retire, I'll probably have to forget archery hunting and may not have the money to travel anywhere.

I should add that MT has actually closed it's borders to anyone planning to stay more than 2 weeks, So you're too late to consider MT anyway.
SD_smith

Post by SD_smith »

Look at the Black Hills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

ncturkey wrote: March 15th, 2019, 11:06 am First off was is rockfishing?
Rockfish are striped bass. Magazine writers changed the names of lots of things. I haven't caught a calico bass since I was real little. I try, but they all come up as crappie. Well, except when fishing in Fl. Those are all specks.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

howl wrote: July 1st, 2019, 1:53 pm
Rockfish are striped bass. Magazine writers changed the names of lots of things. I haven't caught a calico bass since I was real little. I try, but they all come up as crappie. Well, except when fishing in Fl. Those are all specks.
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
liv2hnt

Post by liv2hnt »

I travel a lot with my job both CONUS and OCONUS, and I have always said there are only two places I would move if I left OK. First place would be Rapid City, SD and next would be Helena, MT. Other than that, I am very well versed in traveling and can easily visit any other locations for a turkey hunt or fishing trip. As long as TSS doesn't get much more expensive my 401k should keep me 410 loaded and ready when I retire.

Cheers.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

liv2hnt wrote: July 1st, 2019, 11:38 pm I travel a lot with my job both CONUS and OCONUS, and I have always said there are only two places I would move if I left OK. First place would be Rapid City, SD and next would be Helena, MT. Other than that, I am very well versed in traveling and can easily visit any other locations for a turkey hunt or fishing trip. As long as TSS doesn't get much more expensive my 401k should keep me 410 loaded and ready when I retire.

Cheers.
I works out west a lot in the early 90’s. Montana is just beautiful and man there’s a lot to hunt out there
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

howl wrote:
“Calico bass”, wow that brings back some good memories. Haven’t heard that in years. Same thing happened to ours - all turned to crappies.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

howl wrote: July 1st, 2019, 1:53 pm
We had three different "stripers" back home that we fished for in Kentucky and Barkley Lake. The largest was called a striper or a rockfish. I believe they are a saltwater/freshwater fish. They fight like crazy, shaking their head as they run. I think they came in the 30lb variety, but the largest I caught was 11ish lbs.

The smallest was called a striper or a white bass. I caught some of those, but a couple lbs was a big one.

The middle was a cross between the two. They were called a striper or a hybrid. They called them Wipers in Colorado.

Never heard crappie called a calico bass.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Yep, rockfish are anadramous. That's probably why they're called that; rocks in the surf, rocks in the rivers.

Crappie comes from the French crapet or something like that. That'd be why some pronounce it crOppie, I think. The only place where I've seen people adamant about what you call them is down in FL. The crackers around Lochloosa will correct you every time. Must confuse them when they get up to north GA and wonder why people are talking about catching crappie in little mountain streams. Those brook trout are so small as to be just little "specks" anyhow.

I've taken to calling them calicosacalait so people who ask at the boat ramp will think I'm weird and stop asking where I caught them. It's an easy sell.

What was this topic about again?
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

It's all good info if someone is concerned about what to call a striper or crappie wherever they retire.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Up here, I’ve never heard a crappie called anything other than a crappie. We have whites and blacks but they are all crappies!
Funny how that works. Different regions, different name, same fish..
We do have brook trout and some call them speckled, and they’re really not even a trout. They belong to the char family!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

I cant tell you where to retire, but I can tell you where not to go if you like to eat Wild Turkey. Here in Mississippi we implemented a call in daily check system for the first time in 2018. We have 82 counties and turkeys were reported killed in every county except 1, Sunflower county.
RandyMcGhee

Post by RandyMcGhee »

Grumpey wrote: December 23rd, 2419, 4:33 am I am going to retire where
all the reviews of testogen are posted[/url] they do is fish and have sex and they don't fish buy in the winter.
great health care can kick back in one of these amazing coastal countries.
Last edited by RandyMcGhee on January 14th, 2021, 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
misfire

Post by misfire »

When I was getting close to retirement, I started looking at Montana. Found a very nice place in Thompson Falls and started the paperwork. But then I screwed up and went turkey hunting in S.E. Georgia. Decided on the latter. Its worse than Hell hot at times, bugs are awful, but I can hunt year round and fish as well.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

When I last moved in GA I most of the state to choose from, with some constraints. I marked all points South of the Fall Line off the list. Why? Gnats. Bleeding hate them.

Gnats and biting flies are proof Hell exists.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I like Thompson Falls. I've stayed there a lot for work over the last few years. Turkeys nearby too.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”