Rover Pipe Line with Pics (I HOPE!!!!)

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Rover Pipe Line with Pics (I HOPE!!!!)

Post by HunterGKS »

Thanks to RapscallionVermilion for the assistance I needed to figure out how to get the jpeg link in Flickr.

The Rover pipeline consists of 2 42” natural gas pipelines running through the state of Ohio. They run behind my house & I can watch all the goings & comings from my back yard. They started in this area back in April. One pipe is already in the ground & I missed when they did the welding. I noticed yesterday afternoon that they were welding & would be behind my place today so I planned on going back to get some pics.

I rode back on my Polaris & spent from 9:00 A.M. until 9:30 A.M. taking pics & talking to 1 of the supervisors. I learned a lot & confirmed what I thought about the welding & cleaning process.

The process is nothing short of amazing. The heavy equipment operators are unbelievable. To be able to lift an 80’ section of pipe & move it into position for an internal weld takes a lot of skill & precision. There is a sequence of pics showing the pipes being moved into place so they can be welded internally. The internal welding machine, a wire-feed welding, is used for lining up, and internally holding two sections of pipe in position, and applying the root bead. The welder is operated remotely. If the pipe wasn’t 1st welded internally, it wouldn’t stay lined up for the external weld. The internal tool expands inside the 1st pipe & a long pole, which is attached to the welder, is placed inside the next pipe as it is moved into position. After the 2nd pipe is aligned properly, the welder is then expanded inside the 2nd pipe. The weld is then completed. While this process is going on, a 2nd crane has moved down & picked up another section of pipe & starts to move it into position. When the weld is completed, the expansion rings are loosened & the welder moves down the inside of the pipe to the next joint. The whole process takes about 5 minutes. A gang is also stacking timbers under the pipe to rest it on until the pipe goes into the ground.

There are a couple of close-ups of the cranes that are used to position the pipes. They have massive weights on the left side to keep it from tipping with the weight of the pipes. A strapped is placed around the pipe & then attached to a hook on the crane’s boom. After the internal weld is completed, a worker grabs the strap & literally runs down to the next pipe as the crane is flying down to the next pipe.

The last set of pics show the external welding machine. The crane that carries the welder has a lot of tanks on the front. I assume they are oxygen & acetylene for the welder. There are doors on either side of the welder. Once the welder is in place, 2 men go inside & make whatever adjustments are needed to align the welder on the joint. This process takes about 5 minutes as well.

I asked about how the pipeline was tested & cleaned as I knew there would be slag from the internal welds, dirt, & probably dead animals. He told me that, upon completion, a hydro test would be done. This would not only show any leaks but would flush any & every thing out of the pipeline. There are other tests as well including X-rays. Also, pieces of foam with brushes are sent down the inside of the pipeline to scrub the walls & clean it completely.

You have to admire these guys for their skill & work ethic. There was no lollygagging or standing around. Everyone was doing something all of the time, at least during the time I was out there.

They should be burying the pipe in a week or so & I hope to get another set of pics. As an aside, the woods in the background is 1 of “my” squirrel woods.

I noticed at 01:00 P.M. that 4 more external welders are working their way down the pipeline. The 1st welder must have been making a preliminary weld & the last 4 the finished welds.

I slipped back to the pipeline to get a pic of the finished weld. I also took a couple looking down the pipeline in both directions from the weld. The 1st 2 pics are the external weld. The 3rd is looking to the west, the 4th to the east.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

quavers16

Re: Rover Pipe Line with Pics (I HOPE!!!!)

Post by quavers16 »

Wow-- how long does those huge pipes go??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

quavers16 wrote:Wow-- how long does those huge pipes go??

All told, I believe it's 331 miles from 1 end to the other. The pics cover about 1 1/2 miles.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Wow .. Now that's really a GAS :LMAO:

Good pics and very informative !! :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

That's pretty damn cool!
Pass the biscuits!!
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Nice :thumbup:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I have seen a lot of construction when I lived in FL but this tops it all. It's pretty fascinating as well as educational.
George

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Do they paint that seam where it's welded before putting it in ground?
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote:Do they paint that seam where it's welded before putting it in ground?
Patience grasshopper. :LMAO: Check out the 1st 3 pics of the string I'm about to post.
George

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

HunterGKS wrote:
OLE RASPY wrote:Do they paint that seam where it's welded before putting it in ground?
Patience grasshopper. :LMAO: Check out the 1st 3 pics of the string I'm about to post.
:lol:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

The Rover line gets its right of way through eminent domain. This means they can come through your land without negotiation. They pay a set price and damn the property owner, his land, his timber and the future plans for that land. Here in SE Ohio we are getting our land destroyed by deep well drilling. The gas lines, well pads, out of state workers, heavy traffic on small roads and destruction of public land is sickening.
The construction of such a pipeline is neat but there's another view to see.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Here's Mekayla with a bird that was killed in one of our favorite spots. That spot is destroyed now by a well pad. It was a very sad day. You can see the equipment in the background. They were just starting.
Attachments
2017-07-09 14.46.19.jpg
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

My understanding is that the land has to be restored to the same as before the project started. We will see.
George

Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

HunterGKS wrote:My understanding is that the land has to be restored to the same as before the project started. We will see.
Homes will they replace timber, topsoil, ginseng, unspoiled views and keep these hills from slipping away like they are now? The pipelines through flatlands are easily restored. Not here in the hills. It's sad to see and enough to cause us to consider leaving our home. I guess a person would have to come see it firsthand. It's a battle here.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

This is just a small part of the Rover Pipeline Agricultural Agreement, No where does it state anything about eminent domain but does indicate there will be a lot of negotiations with the landowner. The agreement can be found at: https://elibrary.ferc.gov/IDMWS/common/ ... D=13684647

"The mitigative actions specified in the construction standards and policies set forth below will be
implemented in accordance with the conditions listed below:

A. All mitigative actions are subject to modification through negotiation by Landowners and a representative of Rover, provided such changes are negotiated in advance of any construction, maintenance, or repairs.

B. Rover may negotiate with Landowners to carry out the mitigative actions that Landowners wish to perform themselves.

C. All mitigative actions employed by Rover, unless otherwise specified in these construction standards and policies or in an easement negotiated with an individual Landowner, will be implemented within 120 days of completion of the pipeline facilities on any affected property, weather and landowner permitting. Temporary repairs will be made by Rover during the construction process as needed to minimize the risk of additional property damage that may result from an extended construction time period. If weather delays the completion of any mitigative action beyond the 120 day period, Rover will provide the affected Landowner(s) with a written estimate of the time needed for completion of the mitigative action.
George

Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

I know several landowners including myself that deal with this. EIt's not as it seems.
Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

The amount of money being spent in Eastern Ohio on gas lines, plants, pumping stations, pipe itself, amount of workers, trucks, welding equipment, x-ray equipment is truly astonishing...I've never seen anything anywhere even close....the most impressive is the "wet gas" plants, liquid propane.....have any of you locals ran into national security agents ???

Return to “Gobbler Talk”