what part of your body

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
coconut

Re: what part of your body

Post by coconut »

Why did yawl have to mention the ear ringing. I can usually tune it out until I think about it
ole5beards

Re: what part of your body

Post by ole5beards »

appalachianassassin wrote:
yes, I use to be able to hear it well. I had a similar experience you had with the 300 win mag. I bought a 30-378 wby mag with a muzzle break several years ago, I wish I had never seen the gun. first shot (no protection) felt like a screwdriver went in one ear and out the other. I still have and shoot the gun. but, I don't hunt with it and never shoot it without protection. like you, my ears ring very loudly and will never stop.
The 300 I shot had a muzzle break as well, if I had it to do all over again I'd take the kick instead of the ringing!! I'm lucky that it's not as bad as some, and it's predominantly my right ear that bothers me the most. I can remember turkey hunting with my grandad and other old timers back when it was my time to listen and learn, and I'd always notice them turning their heads different directions, and then I learned that was their "Good Ear"! I never had any issues hearing gobbles and I remember my grandad and I disagreeing about which direction a bird was, we've alll been there when he gobbles and you got 2-3 different arms pointing different directions!! I usually kept my mouth shut as I was still learning and figured that maybe I was wrong, but one morning I knew I wasn't crazy and that the bird was the way I thought and finally spoke up, and I happened to be correct. Ever since that morning I was asked my opinion on where he was when he gobbled! Drumming I hear fine, and far, every now and then especially when I'm hunting hilly terrain or big hardwood bottoms, I will hear him drumming long before he ever gobbles and when he finally does gobble he was not where I thought, that's mostly due to the terrain and the sound bouncing. Sounds bouncing in a big hardwood bottom can and willl make a fool out of you! But I'm glad to still be able to hear it(no offense). A straight up killa like yourself, you'd be hell on them if you did still hear drumming!
coconut wrote:Why did yawl have to mention the ear ringing. I can usually tune it out until I think about it
Yep, that always happens! Your subconscious, it has a mind all of its own!
Pass the biscuits!!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”