Eastern hunter needs advice to hunt west

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
boone5252

Post by boone5252 »

Hello Everyone-----I just registered yesterday---this is a great forum for information.
I live near Winston Salem North Carolina and have been a serious turkey hunter since 1995--mostly hunting the mountains of North Carolina near Boone.
Last March, my 29 year old son and I drove to Florida and shot two nice Osceolas off public land.
Next April, I'm planning on driving "out west" to complete my slam.
I would appreciate some advice. I want a white tipped Merriam for sure. Is the northwest corner of Nebraska my best bet ?? They talk of Nebraska being mostly hybrids.
For a Rio, northwest Oklahoma near the Canadian River--I see there is some public land there-- or western Kansas?
I've heard most farmers will give you permission to hunt their private land if you are courteous.
I'll trade advice to anyone "needing" an Osceola.
Because of my accounting job, I only have a window about 11 days starting April 14th to be away from my job. I guess you just take your chances on having a warm spring and having the birds "in the mood" to gobble the last half of April.
Not bragging but I've killed a ton of deer when I was younger and got into turkey hunting later in life. Turkey hunting is a lot more fun. The "conversations" you have with the gobblers makes for the excitement of the hunt.
Thanks----
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Eastern hunter needs advice to hunt west

Post by Grumpy »

Black Hills in S. Dakota would be my choice for a Merriam.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Cove

Post by Cove »

If it were me and I was driving from NC, I'd point the truck straight west for western Oklahoma for a Rio and then keep right on along to New Mexico for your Merriam. Second choice would be to shift a bit northward to hit central Kansas for my Rio and move onward to Colorado for a Merriam but you'll need to drive halfway across Colorado to find OTC tags. Logistically it may be about the same to hit Kansas and then point directly northward to South Dakota, it would all be up to you. I'd skip over Nebraska personally unless it's just turkeys you're looking for . . . if so, then definitely stop.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

If you are trying to do one road trip that gives you opportunities at a Merriam's and a Rio on public land, I'd hunt central to western Kansas for a Rio on WIHAs and NW Nebraska or Blackhills (SD or WY) for the Merriam's.

You could do Oklahoma for Rio and CO or NM for your Merriams and be in more historical range for both, but Ive been under the impression that OK public is a zoo.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Cove we must have posted within a second or two of each other.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Cove wrote:If it were me and I was driving from NC, I'd point the truck straight west for western Oklahoma for a Rio and then keep right on along to New Mexico for your Merriam. Second choice would be to shift a bit northward to hit central Kansas for my Rio and move onward to Colorado for a Merriam but you'll need to drive halfway across Colorado to find OTC tags. Logistically it may be about the same to hit Kansas and then point directly northward to South Dakota, it would all be up to you. I'd skip over Nebraska personally unless it's just turkeys you're looking for . . . if so, then definitely stop.
^ that guy should know :notworthy: :notworthy:
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Sent you a PM.
crazyfrank 1970

Post by crazyfrank 1970 »

Been west 3 times for birds in different spots. I like Western Nebraska. The Black Hills can be crowded depending on when you are there. There is so much access. Seems to me there is more hybrids all the time. Don't worry about the snow just hunt. We took birds in Nebraska and South Dakota in snow storms. These birds come to calls....often from long distances. Careful these birds will ruin you for back home.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I killed my merriam in Crawford Nebraska. I hunted private land. My buddy knows the guy so I got lucky and stayed in his farm house and payed him $200. It was fun very fun. It was my first out of state hunt. Like said by another it will ruin you. Lol. Northwest corner of Nebraska is merriams. There is plenty of public land though. We drove right by some. Killed my rio in San Angelo Texas with Kenny McCrea outdoors. Had a blast. Good luck With whatever you choose. Plenty of options.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Uncle Nicky

Post by Uncle Nicky »

My advice would be make sure to have good binoculars and quality decoys. It's a little different than hunting Easterns IMO, you will probably rely a lot less on calling than you do on the East Coast. Birds will be near rivers and big cottonwoods, they are easy to find. Try working the terrain & getting in front of them as much as possible. Good luck!
boone5252

Post by boone5252 »

Thanks for all the good advice.

Does everyone think those $100.00 decoys are a game changer ? I've always just used cheap fold up decoys here in the east. Like other comments on this board, carrying full size decoys is a pain.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Unlike the hills of Western N.C., when hunting the high plains out west you are going to encounter periods of high gusty winds which will spin then blow a foam decoy to the next county. If you plan on using decoys, buy a decoy which has a stake w/ a hook and loop or tie-down on the decoy to preclude spinning. A long handled philips screw driver or similar device is handy to poke a stake hole in the usually dry packed soil. I've encountered sub-freezing temperatures and snow in Wyoming, Nebraska, and South Dakota in mid-May, so pack accordingly.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Ive never experienced the need for decoys and less calling out here as compared to easterns. That has never been the case for me in any western state hunting rios or merriam's. I rarely use decoys and call like theres no tomorrow. I used a lot more finess to call birds in the east and rarely used decoys there either. Id worry less about decoys and more about locating turkeys. Riverbottoms definitely hold turkeys but there are a lot of ponderosa pines and high mountains that can be hunted for Merriam's.

The comments about wind and using the terrain are correct. Moving ahead can be a great plan. When these birds set their mind to traveling, there's not a lot of opportunity to turn them around. Set up is key to making decoys irrelevant in most cases.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I agree with Grumpy. I have always wanted to hunt the Black Hills and had a chance when I was a -American Wild Turkey Society member. A big group went each Spring there.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I too agree with grumpy, been fortunate to hunt Merriam's in the pondersa pines and cottonwoods multiple times. No comparison, I'll take pondersa pines everyday. Imo it's easier on the rivers, but the feeling in the pines is something
crazyfrank 1970

Post by crazyfrank 1970 »

My Western strategy after going in in the dark and locating birds is to move close. A lot closer than you would an eastern. Then like another poster mentioned call like your in a hunting video. That is when your fairly sure they have hit the ground. If nothing happens in the morning get high and glass for birds. Then move yourself into position perferably the direction they are going. But you can call birds a long way in some areas. These birds answer locator calls at night as your leaving the area so let em have it and get a bead on where they are. I can do a hawk with a reed call and strike birds with it a lot out there. Here in Indiana we can't get birds to shock gobble at anything anymore really. Man you got me wanting to go out there again.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

hobbes wrote:Ive never experienced the need for decoys and less calling out here as compared to easterns. That has never been the case for me in any western state hunting rios or merriam's. I rarely use decoys and call like theres no tomorrow. I used a lot more finess to call birds in the east and rarely used decoys there either. Id worry less about decoys and more about locating turkeys. Riverbottoms definitely hold turkeys but there are a lot of ponderosa pines and high mountains that can be hunted for Merriam's.

The comments about wind and using the terrain are correct. Moving ahead can be a great plan. When these birds set their mind to traveling, there's not a lot of opportunity to turn them around. Set up is key to making decoys irrelevant in most cases.
I guess I hunt exactly like Hobbes. I often kill turkeys in AL with one series of tree yelps, or maybe a couple of clucks on a trumpet. One reason I love the Midwest is that I can call loud, agressively, and often and those turkeys will respond. I never use decoys anywhere; just my personal preference. Good luck!
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Going to bump this up and hope for a few more comments - I am now in the seriously looking/planning stage and hope to lock something in over the next few weeks. My criteria is: over the counter or no draw tags, pure Merriam, guided or semi-guided okay (semi more in the budget), within a 8 hours drive of a major airport served by Southwest Air (got lots of point so they would be a freebie). Very little mention on this and other forums regarding Washington State. Why? Now whenever I do a goggle search one big outfitter in the Spokane area keeps popping up. Seems to be plenty of public land north and east of Spokane.

Add - over the years I did a lot of PMing on the old NWTF site and had a WA contact that came to FL and got an Osceola in Big Cypress WMA. Sent him some palm fronds to use with a full mount. Due to a computer crash I've lost all these old addresses. Luv to hear from him again if he's around here.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I have hunted NW Ne near Chadron & completed my slam with a nice Merriam. There are walk-in areas to hunt & the country side is beautiful.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

"I agree with Grumpy. I have always wanted to hunt the Black Hills and had a chance when I was a -American Wild Turkey Society member. A big group went each Spring there."

Those American Wild Turkey Society Hunts in the Black Hills were fun!

Great Area!
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hobbes wrote: June 23rd, 2017, 1:00 pm Ive never experienced the need for decoys and less calling out here as compared to easterns. That has never been the case for me in any western state hunting rios or merriam's. I rarely use decoys and call like theres no tomorrow. I used a lot more finess to call birds in the east and rarely used decoys there either. Id worry less about decoys and more about locating turkeys. Riverbottoms definitely hold turkeys but there are a lot of ponderosa pines and high mountains that can be hunted for Merriam's.

I agree, the first time you set in a good roost out west, you'll be shocked at the amount of talk you'll hear. I always figure when in Rome... The hens are extremely vocal and respond well to calling.

Also agree when they make up their mind to move you better have your track shoes. Ime their home range is much larger than an easterns.

If you're hunting Rios with limited roosting trees back off, you can blow that roost in one hunt
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Well after sifting through the info. and alittle help from a friend. I too will be heading west to try and complete my slam. I went guided in north central Kansas due to the feedback I received about the guide and price. ( He will let me hunt my way along with calling them myself ) He only hunts 1 on 1 and tells you to get extra tags. ( 35 years as a guide and a hell of a nice guy ) From there I'm heading NW to Crawford, Ne., where I rented a ranch for a do it yourself hunt ( 3,200 acres of prime private property to myself ) It looks very good, the owners are great and comes highly recommended by friends and other hunters. The last leg will be a family and friends hunt in Iowa as that is where my wife is from. I have been hunting Iowa for 30+ years and it is one of my favorite to hunt provided they don't screw it up anymore than what they have. ( Thanks to the big $ people and TV show's ) I will then get a few days rest before the fun starts here in Pa. I wish I had more time and $ because I'd try to get all 4 in one season.( I've got several friends and connections in Fl.- But been there done that ) Good luck, do your home work and trust you gut.. Shoot Straight
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

Hunting the west...If one pays to hunt he has more money then skill.Just how I feel,especially if your used to hunting eastern turkeys

Take a buddy along saves on cost and everyone needs a turkey buddy

Been west twice all of it public or door knocking..Only time I feel a person should pay money is in Mexico,and maybe Florida

Sent from somewhere deep in West By God
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

As far as the skill thing goes, I'd rather be lucky than good. Its like they say even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while! I never won any awards, trophies or cash from my turkey hunting skills or bone piles. But I have a blast at it and seem to do alright hunting easterns all over the place.
If one doesn't pay for hunting, how would one Hunt Legally, Shoot a Gun, No fancy shells, No fancy decoys, What would you wear, No fancy calls, Sleep comfortably, Arrive at a hunting site, Buy gas, Pay tolls, and Eat? We all pay somehow! Just so happens the places I'm going to hunt, cost a couple hundred more than a Hotel/Motel ( My Fat Azz ain't sleeping in no tent when there is a chance of snow ) Plus Private land come's with it - Plus Free food in Ne. - Plus in Ks. he drive's me around and puts me right in with the birds. I would like to try and make it a one and done type trip as I'm not RICH by any means. I weighed my options, did my homework and this is what I chose with the amount of time I had. This is a bucketlist thing for me, not a scout merit badge! I'm just saying, this is how I feel! JUST HUNT
joey46

Post by joey46 »

See both sides of the last two post. This out west trip will be a bucketlist thing for me also. If I could drive the 2000+ miles to somewhere and then have a couple of weeks to scout/hunt/scout etc. I would go the "do it yourself" route. I don't so I'm looking for a guided or semi-guided Merriam trip. No problem, so far, with rustic accommodations. Hunted a Florida quota hunt this year camping in a tent in a primitive site. No big deal but it was at least 60 degrees. Still leaning towards NE Washington State but would like more opinions from those who have been there. Any western State that has Merriams and over the counter tags can be in play. Thanks.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”