Hookspur's 2017 Season

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hookspur's 2017 Season

Post by Shooter »

As always Tom, Great pics and stories!!! :thumbup: Was hoping you would swing by for a day or two, and see if I could get you on one of these thick bearded critters here at the homeplace.
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

From TX to PA your beard sure did grow. From a jake to a gobbler.

Sounds like you have found the northeast to your turkey hunting liking.

Good read. Thanks for taking us along.
Your eye in the northeast sky.
Coalman Blog http://www.coalmansblog.com
Cove

Post by Cove »

Congrats on another awesome season Doc! It was a pleasure keep up with you!

And I too need another hosting site, photobucket has turned to garbage and I have years of photos on there I'd like to save somehow. I'm afraid it isn't an option.
KYFrid

Post by KYFrid »

Great pics and stories doc. Look forward to these every year as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
strutnva

Post by strutnva »

Looks like a "killer" season Doc, I didn't expect any less. Thanks again for your hospitality in the FL camp. I'm sure I speak for Jonathon and myself that we had a great time and enjoyed all the great folks there. I'm looking forward to the challenge of those swamp birds already for next year. FYI, I've been working on that 20 ga to make sure I don't have a repeat of this year. I still get pissed every time that gobbler crosses my mind. Great pics and read for sure!!!!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Post I wait on all year!!! Awesome season brother.. Trevor is a goofy SOB, but he gets it, Proud to call him a brother in this obsession we get a few Months a year. He's good, very good
gut_pile

Post by gut_pile »

Unreal Doc!

Congrats
Tenth Legion: Class of 2004
ccleroy

Hookspur's 2017 Season

Post by ccleroy »

Doc,fantastic sir......just fantastic!!
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Always look forward to your end of the year report Doc!

Congrats on a great season!
2inchhooks

Post by 2inchhooks »

Great season Doc !

As for a file sharing host I recommend DropBox ..
https://www.dropbox.com/

It's user friendly and you can share files, photos, etc .. for $100 usd you can get it for the year .. well worth it and security is great everything is secure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

These are really great pics and good storys!!
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Congratulations on another great season! I saw this thread the last time I logged in here, but I knew it would be long and this morning is my first opportunity to read it. It didn't disappoint.

When making a long post anywhere, I type it into Word, including the pic links, and then just copy and paste it onto the site. That way I can save it as I go, and even if photobucket is acting up, I can try again later without losing all my work.

I feel silly trying to give you any turkey hunting advice, but your eyes are probably starting to fail you the same way mine did, and that is causing those misses. I Improved on the issue by switching to a 20 gauge gun with an open choke and #9 tss, along with a FF sight. I know you are not gonna shoot a turkey very far off, but you can use an open choke and make a really wide kill pattern. Even with all that, I had a couple this past season that I barely caught with the edge of the kill pattern. Killed them dead, but I would have watched them get away with shot in them had I been using a conventional shotgun rig.

Good luck for next season!
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Thanks y'all for the pic hosting sites and compliments. Thanks also to Preacher for his great advice and insightful observations. I definitely should've typed this thread on Word first. That would've saved me many hours of frustration and extreme anger, and it would read much better than it does now. Trying to recreate the original from memory was tough. You'll never know how close I came to smashing my computer with a sledgehammer when Photobucket dumped the whole thing! Regarding my eyesight; it is indeed failing, and I attribute at least one of my misses to not being able to see my sights clearly. Early and/or dim light are bad conditions for my eyes! I've been predicting something like this happening for a while now, but by being super-vigilant and careful I had gone the last 5 years without any misses. I actually bought a new sight for the gun after FL, but haven't as yet put it on. I'll be doing so before next spring!
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I've been sick as a dog since the last day of hunting. Some say I'm just allergic to real work, but I got an official diagnosis today. Lyme's Disease. Not sure if or how this was connected with the Shingles....all I know is that I have not been a well man. It's good to finally know what's wrong.
gut_pile

Post by gut_pile »

Dang Doc. Get well soon bud!
Tenth Legion: Class of 2004
VA (41 yards)

Post by VA (41 yards) »

Hate to hear that Doc get well buddy.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I edited the original post to reflect what's happened health-wise in the last couple weeks. I hope everyone will take a look at that and pay attention to what I say about ticks and keeping yourselves safe from their bites and the diseases they carry.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Appreciate the added warnings Doc. What an ordeal. Ticks suck. Glad to hear you are starting to get some relief. I recently read about a new vaccine for Lyme has been FDA approved for human clinical trials in the US and Europe.
Spurred

Post by Spurred »

Glad your feeling better and congrats on a phenomenal season!
Uncle Nicky

Post by Uncle Nicky »

hookspur wrote:I edited the original post to reflect what's happened health-wise in the last couple weeks. I hope everyone will take a look at that and pay attention to what I say about ticks and keeping yourselves safe from their bites and the diseases they carry.
For whatever it is worth, I spray my clothes with permithrin/Sawyers 3 times in the spring, and once or twice in the fall. It helps a lot, but I've found sitting even a few inches off of the ground makes a big difference in how may ticks I wind up picking off of myself each outing.
GobblerChaser2008

Post by GobblerChaser2008 »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post Doc! Very anxious to get back to Florida and do another hunt with you! I may never get another Osceola as big as my first but it will not be for lack of trying. Loved the setting in camp and getting a chance to meet some of those characters.....Uh....I mean your friends.
Hate to hear you were not feeling well. Hope you are improving and will continue to do so!
Take care and we will see you in 9 months!
SpurHntr

Post by SpurHntr »

The man, the legend.
Awesome year!
One day Ill join you again in Osceola country!
Congrats Doc
Humpty was pushed!
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

hookspur wrote:I've been sick as a dog since the last day of hunting. Some say I'm just allergic to real work, but I got an official diagnosis today. Lyme's Disease. Not sure if or how this was connected with the Shingles....all I know is that I have not been a well man. It's good to finally know what's wrong.
Hate to here you have lyme disease Doc. If you ever hunted North Central Tn you know why Brad Paisley wrote the song "I'd like to check you for ticks". We had to buy Ryno Skin to keep them from getting to the skin. I can honestly say this is the best thing I have ever tried to keep ticks off of your skin!!! It's a little hot, but very worth the trade off. If you wear the shirt, pants, socks, face mask, and gloves,and keep, them tucked inside one another it's very hard for a tick to get to the skin. Some repellent on the outside layer of clothes helps too!
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

More great news. The doctor called today to inform me that I also tested for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Looks like I ended my season with a triple dose of fun; Lyme's, RMSF, and Shingles. Yippy!
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Holy Smokes Doc! Get better soon.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”