Trumpet suggestions

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Jamey

Re: Trumpet suggestions

Post by Jamey »

The one Toddmann posted is Ambroyna burl. The green looking one I posted is Lignum Vitae and the other one is Cocobolo. All of those are hard, dense woods which make great calls.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

African Blackwood

Cocobolo

Lignum Viate

Osage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Davisd9, I have the twin to your lignum...Charlie makes some great calls!
lignum.jpg
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Mark Sharpe river cane
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Jamey wrote:Davisd9, I have the twin to your lignum...Charlie makes some great calls!
lignum.jpg
That is cool. Mostly only local guys know Mr. Hudson. He is a deer and turkey killing son of a gun. I was originally going to get buffalo horn like yours, but when he was turning it he found a worm hole. He had a piece of stag horn there so he turned it and put it in the call. He call me and told me what happened and wanted me to listen to the call, but if I wanted the buffalo horn then that was no problem. He played the call over the phone and I told him that if he liked it and would hunt with it then it was good with me. He said if I ever changed my mind to send it back and he would switch it out.

I know a couple guys with that exact setup as well.

It is a little harder trumpet to play than some others but it makes some sweet music!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

A ready-made lip stop can be made from a faucet washer. They are hard rubber with a pre-drilled hole. I've used them for years on wingbones and rivercane yelpers. Nothing fancy but they work. My take on a lip stop is that it insures consistent lip placement more than just a seal. Consistent lip placement helps insure smooth starts.
Toddmann

Post by Toddmann »

I have removed the lip stops from mine and it that works better for me. I also remove the tape from diaphragm calls and that works better for me as well.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Here's a KP in Desert Ironwood

Last edited by RapscallionVermilion on July 6th, 2017, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

davisd9 wrote:
Jamey wrote:Davisd9, I have the twin to your lignum...Charlie makes some great calls!
lignum.jpg
That is cool. Mostly only local guys know Mr. Hudson. He is a deer and turkey killing son of a gun. I was originally going to get buffalo horn like yours, but when he was turning it he found a worm hole. He had a piece of stag horn there so he turned it and put it in the call. He call me and told me what happened and wanted me to listen to the call, but if I wanted the buffalo horn then that was no problem. He played the call over the phone and I told him that if he liked it and would hunt with it then it was good with me. He said if I ever changed my mind to send it back and he would switch it out.

I know a couple guys with that exact setup as well.

It is a little harder trumpet to play than some others but it makes some sweet music!
Charlie was my turkey hunting mentor back in the late 70's and I try to get by and visit him anytime I get back up to the TR area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
uvagobbler

Post by uvagobbler »

I had Austy Bott make one for me about 3 years ago. My first one. I asked him a million questions about trumpets and he worked with me. He built one out of cocobolo and has a delrin mouthpiece. It took some practice for me but I eventually got it. Your learning curve will be a lot less since you are familiar with a wingbone.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”