2017 New York Spring Turkey Trip Wind Storm

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2017 New York Spring Turkey Trip Wind Storm

Post by HunterGKS »

During the evening of Monday, 05/01, a hellacious storm tore through the area. Ron, Job, Walt, & I were inside Gobbler’s Roost & saw the storm building up to the west. The sky got black, the wind started screaming, & the rain came down in sheets actually being blown sideways. If you went out into the storm, you wouldn’t need an umbrella to do a Mary Poppins imitation. The Minnow wouldn’t have even made it out of the harbor it was so stormy. Luckily, the storm only lasted about 5-10 minutes before moving on. Ron had never heard the wind so loud & the last time I had was in 2004 when I still lived in FL & the 4 hurricanes hit the state in rapid succession. To say we were extremely lucky to escape with no damage near The Roost would be a huge understatement. The storm passed within ½ mile of camp.

The NWS was in town on Wednesday investigating the damage & trying to determine if a tornado had touched down or if it was a straight line wind storm. The said the winds exceeded 100MPH &, at that speed, it really didn’t matter what type of storm it was. Based on how all the trees were lying in a straight line, more or less, as opposed to being tossed all over, & had been snapped off instead of twisted, Ron & I think it was a straight line wind storm.

While in town, we did see a tree leaning on a house but couldn’t tell how much damage was done. It appears that a minimum of damage was done to buildings & no lives were lost, thankfully. While driving around near camp, we did see 1 tree on a pickup & another on an out-building.

The following pics are on the side of a mountain that Ron USED to climb to access The Honey Hole. This is just a small area & is just a sampling of the damage that was done.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Gobbler Talk”