Need a fresh idea for these birds. They come in & don't show

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
gobblegobblegobble

Need a fresh idea for these birds. They come in & don't show

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

I'm caught in a bit of a slump. Any time I call in a gobbler, I can work him JUST until he gets right out of my sight. I'm at the point where I hear him gobbling, and I'm looking hard because I should be able to see him any second (about 30 yard visibility where I set up). The last several birds come in to that threshold but never show, then wander off. It's like they're trolling for hens and will only get so close, then say "OK, I came this far, if you want to meet up then come with me."

I hunt alone so putting another person calling 30 yards behind me isn't going to work.

These birds aren't spooking or seeing something odd... they never stop gobbling. They come in to just out of sight while gobbling, then gobble as they wander off.

Anything I should try to get them in those last few yards? I've been scratching the leaves, etc and nothing seems to work.
woodsman1977

Re: Need a fresh idea for these birds. They come in & don't

Post by woodsman1977 »

Do you have a gobble shaker? I have had success with them in the past and just scored last weekend using one. the one I have sounds like a jake...not as deep a sound. Maybe not a good idea on public land but if he thinks there is a Jake with the ladies that dominant part of him might just bring him in that last bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gobblegobblegobble

Ha, speaking of that, this morning a bird came in again to just out of sight. It got quiet, I figured he was gonna show up. 5 min later he gobbled going away from me... I had an idea where he'd go and I tried to beat him. I didn't make it, he was right over the hill when he gobbled again (right where I thought he was going) and I set up about 50 yards off. I tried my Haint gobbler call (just once) with no luck.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Might be a symptom of overcalling or setting up where they can see you before coming in range, but that's just conjecture.

If you know where he's going, tell him to assemble at the high point. Be there to greet him. You have to know where the meeting spot is, though. Funniest thing happened to me this year was I told one I'd meet him, but I musta been sleepy because I did not at all consider I was not between the bird and where I told it to go. Blame bird went over there and started telling me he was there and waiting. I just had to chuckle. Can't remember ever telling one to go away from me before. I mean, I've cussed at them, walked over to look down and say things about their ancestry and lack of honor, but I've never told one to go away before.
gobblegobblegobble

Yeah I probably would have killed him if I set up where I knew they eventually go instead of setting up on where I heard him gobble on the roost. I did make him detour about 100 yards to come check me out, but he did go where he was going to go anyways.

It's hard to walk away from a bird that's only 100 yards from you on the roost and set up further away because you think that's where he wants to go.
noxubeehunter

Post by noxubeehunter »

They're just waiting on the hen to show herself or come to them. That's what's supposed to happen anyways. You've already tried my first suggestion which would be to scratch leaves. What kind of terrain is it? If it's got some contour you could use that to your advantage. Whenever I'm working a bird that won't come all the way in, I try to setup in a place where he's got to pop his head up to take a look such as a ridge. I setup within range of where he would pop his head up to take a look. This will also usually put you at the same level or above the bird which is what you want. This mainly applies to woods hunting as that's usually where the ridges and other hilly terrain are. If you're hunting fields and setting up back in the woods, then I would suggest getting closer to the field edge if possible. Just keep scratching those leaves and doing as soft of calling as possible when they get close. My last resort would be a gobbler cluck or gobble. I usually don't gobble but it has worked before. Just doesn't usually work that well on our birds in Mississippi.
gobblegobblegobble

Where I'm hunting now is wooded ridges, some undergrowth with some open areas (ferns and such).

Popping his head up isn't quite enough, in PA they have to have a visible beard to be legal... and I've seen some with them broken off flush. My son and I had that happen with a mature gobbler a couple weekends ago... we could see him in the grass in the field from the neck up, he had a clear shot, but he never showed his beard.
noxubeehunter

Post by noxubeehunter »

Same here. Jakes aren't legal. Basically I meant they'll come up to take a look. Sometimes they will just pop their head up and that's all you can see. In that case I don't shoot. Most times though they'll show enough to see their beard.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Back when I hunted easterns in Georgia. When birds kept stalling at 70 yards, my brother and I would hunt together and place shooter slightly angled to the left of the caller 50 yards closer to the gobble. Its cheating but we ate good.
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

If you will put a Dave Smith Decoys jake and upright hen where he can see them he will have to come fondle her. I just bought the Dave Smith flock and am 3-3 when the Tom saw the decoys. The key is he has to see the decoys.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

you might try going silent a little sooner than normal or maybe don't go silent at all. maybe try gobbler yelping, all the male birds are ganging back up here. who knows what will work till you have him on your back. what failed today might work tomorrow, who knows.
El Sicario
gobblegobblegobble

appalachianassassin wrote:you might try going silent a little sooner than normal or maybe don't go silent at all. maybe try gobbler yelping, all the male birds are ganging back up here. who knows what will work till you have him on your back. what failed today might work tomorrow, who knows.
Yeah, I know... I wouldn't even have posted this but it has seemed to become a pattern for me. Just about every one this year has failed to commit those last several steps, and it's becoming a pattern that I've noticed.

If I ever figure it out I'll probably be killing them! LOL
maddog3355

Post by maddog3355 »

Stand up half way behind a tree if it is real brushy at ground level. Call softer and scratch some leaves. He wil get in your lap.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Last bird I worked did the same thing.....i knew what I needed to do but convinced myself he would come in. He didn't and had I stood up and walked 10 yards his direction he would have took a dirt nap.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

They can pin point a hen's call better than most give them credit for. When you know he's coming, try waiting him out.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”