New Guy from Ontario

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
The Baron

New Guy from Ontario

Post by The Baron »

Hi folks! New member here, been chasing gobblers for about 18 years now. I've done most of my hunting over the past decade with a .62 (20ga) flintlock. But this year we setup a 20ga. 870 for my 7-year old son (Dad will test it out until he's old enough to shoot - ;)) with plans to shoot one with it and then take our second with the flintlock. But my young lad is so enthralled with the 20ga we just had to use it on both birds (wish we had more tags!).

I got stuck working the first 3 days of the season... :( ... and weather for the first weekend looked iffy, so I pulled the kids out of school last Friday and we all played hookie to chase gobblers. My 9 year old daughter is only casually interested and said she'd come with the boys on a turkey hunt if it was during the day (i.e. she's not into 3am alarms - can't blame her, really). And she loves any reason to not go to school, so I decided what better way to get her on board. LOL. We had no luck in the late morning (not even a single gobble or sighting), but after a late lunch we were back in the woods about 3pm. To make a long story short, the turkey Gods smiled on me and we bagged a 21# 2 year old at 25 steps around 5pm. No pop up blind, just me and the kids on the ground behind a 2ft high roll-up blind to hide the fidgeters. :D

My son is turkey hunting crazy, and was rarin' to go right back out the next morning. I had a tom stored away in a spot I know well, so sunrise found us setup between him and his hens on the roost. He gave us lots of roost gobbling and a few good earth shakers on the ground before I let him know he had a sexy lady in close. Two soft calls, a thundering response, and then we let our aggressive jake decoy rub him the wrong way. He spit 'n' drummed his way by us at 15 steps and died beside the decoy at 20. 22#, 7/8" spurs, 9" beard. I wish my son could shoot, but they make us wait until 12 here in ON.

I was back out this morning before work, "guiding" the farm hand at the specific request of the property owner. He bagged himself a 15# jake at 6am and he was very happy. Mission accomplished and always great to help someone get their first turkey. So, I'm 3 for 3 this season. Maybe I should quit now, before the wheels fall off. haha

I hope everyone is having as much fun as we are this year!
JTown21

Re: New Guy from Ontario

Post by JTown21 »

Congratulations on a fine season and to your children as well. Sounds like you have a bonified huntin' buddy....that's awesome! Welcome aboard and enjoy. Lots of great info and people on this forum.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Congrats on birds and welcome. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats and welcome to the forum, eh..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Thanks for joining. :thumbup:
norINhunter

Post by norINhunter »

Great job congrats. Wish my dad taught me about turkey hunting. The closest I got to turkey hunting as a kid was strolling down the frozen food aisle at the grocery store.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

norINhunter wrote:Great job congrats. Wish my dad taught me about turkey hunting. The closest I got to turkey hunting as a kid was strolling down the frozen food aisle at the grocery store.
You're blessed to have such a following with yer' kids .. so teach them well and Welcome and Congrats on helpin' others also :thumbup: :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Gobbler Talk”