Finally

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
norINhunter

Finally

Post by norINhunter »

My cousin and I started hunting turkeys 9 yrs ago together and I've been fortunate enough to harvest turkeys and dedicate an above average amount of time to hunting these awesome animals. With that being said my cousin has an incredibly busy schedule and for a good season he gets to go out three times a season and darn near every time I've been with him. We've had several close encounters but never been able to seal the deal. Sat evening I called him and said let's go Sun morning before the rain and storms hit so we went and saw several birds out in the field about 500 yds south of us and we finally called it quits when it became apparent they were uninterested. After a quick check of the radar I said let's go grab lunch get fresh set of dry camo on and give a shot before the next system rolls in around 2-2:30 ish. While at my house my cousin texts me and says dad has three strutters in the field across the street. I told him to get his camo on and we are going now. I hop in the truck and make the 15 min drive and my uncle is out on his driveway and said they just went in the woods. My cousin calls says I'll be there in 20 mins and I'm getting impatient now.

He finally shows up closer to about 45 mins later and we load up and head out after them. Once we got to where they went in I noticed how thick the woods already had gotten from the spring growth and thought this might be a problem. With no response back I said is there anywhere else where it might be thinner and not so dense. My cousin takes us about 250 yds to the east just on the outside of the woods to a great looking spot that doesn't appear to be a complete jungle and I said this will do. So we enter about 50 yds and I call and three notes into my yelp I get cutoff by a gobbler. He gobbled within 50 yds of where we first called from so I told my cousin get down he's hot on our trail looking for love. I call again after about a min. Bam noticeably closer. Wait two mins and soft yelp and nothing. No worries he's just still working his way too us. After a few more mins I let him have a nice yelp and cut and bam he's gobbling at 50 yds but still can't seem him. I look straight ahead and I see a jake, my cousin is sharing the same tree but aimed slight left and I see his head slide down on the stock and I fix my eyes to the left and I'll see is a red head waking right for us. Give one more yelp to freeze him and once he stopped my cousin served him up a face full of lead 5s. Finally!!! Gobbler down for my cousin. I'll never forget getting to share that moment with my cousin who is like my 2nd brother. The best part was watching him smile ear to ear the whole walk back.
Attachments
IMG_2488.JPG
MAK

Re: Finally

Post by MAK »

great hunting with family - congrat's guys
MAK
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Can't plan a hunt any better than that .. congrats on gettin' him a tom :thumbup: :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

That had to be a fun hunt!!! From the full tail fan I don't believe that is a jake!!! WTG :thumbup: :thumbup:
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Congrats to both.
norINhunter

Post by norINhunter »

2Shooter wrote:That had to be a fun hunt!!! From the full tail fan I don't believe that is a jake!!! WTG :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks, from my long winded novel I guess I didn't clarify there were two birds that came in at first I only saw the jake being we are in Indiana I'm not burning the one and only tag on a snuggle tooth fan. Fortunately the other one was a tom.
norINhunter

Post by norINhunter »

2Shooter wrote:That had to be a fun hunt!!! From the full tail fan I don't believe that is a jake!!! WTG :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks, from my long winded novel I guess I didn't clarify there were two birds that came in at first I only saw the jake being we are in Indiana I'm not burning the one and only tag on a snuggle tooth fan. Fortunately the other one was a tom.
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

Good stuff, congrats to you and your cousin.
Wrangler95

Post by Wrangler95 »

Great going,congrats!!
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Congrats!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”