Handicap Hunting

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
sled001

Handicap Hunting

Post by sled001 »

Does anyone have any experience with disabled sportsman's and turkey hunting?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
swampchicken

Re: Handicap Hunting

Post by swampchicken »

Yes. What would you like to know? I'm taking one in the morning who is usually hell bend on doing everything himself but asked if I would join him (I'm already tagged out).
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

My dad has limited ability to walk due to a work injury in 2005. I take him to areas where the ground is mainly level. For me I just cater to his needs and try my best to do my best.
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

One of my best friends and most successful hunter I know hunts from a chair. I just got back from turkey hunting with him last weekend. Let me know how I can help ya.
sled001

Post by sled001 »

I can't seem to post a photo for some reason but I have a really good friend who is a quadripelic. He has taken several birds this year. I was just curious how other people in similar situation were doing and if we might be able to share what we have learned.

sled001

Post by sled001 »

Here is his last bird. It's a limb hanger!!!!
6456.jpeg
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Man that is awesome. Thanks for sharing that pic. Congrats to him
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
sled001

Post by sled001 »

Thanks, we have had an awesome season.

JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

My buddy Chris doesn't let his limitation to a chair get in the way of anything....especially hunting. We primarily hunt turkeys from a blind but if that isn't feasible he carries camo netting that he can cover up with as well. Chris will even get out of his chair and belly crawl to get into position if need be, and has killed lots of birds in doing so. Turkeys, waterfowl, and deer have all seen their demise from Chris.
When I got back from hunting with him in KY, I told Chris how impressed I was with his abilities, how he never complained about anything, and he can be such an inspiration to other disabled hunters. This was Chris' response, "I do try and be an inspiration to all hunters, disabled and walking, it shows everyone not to take things for granted as I once did a thought that I was indestructible and would never get hurt at what I was doing and that's not true, but what is true that no one can tell you it can't be done cause I'm one to prove em wrong. It's been taking me many years to fine tune my hunting skills from a chair. I still learn each and every day and that my friend is what keeps driving me to perfection.
Il never be perfect but I'll die trying. There will never be no quit in my vocabulary, if I can't get it done one way, I'll find another. Hunting in a chair is a task in itself, consistently harvesting big game in a chair is a whole new aspect. I love to hunt and live to see myself and family and friends hunting with me be successful also and that's what drives me to get better at my game each and every day. Life on this earth is not granted".
I think y'all get the picture of his character and drive. We have bigger plans now as I would like for Chris to pursue other big game species with me. I feel very fortunate to have met and hunt with Chris.
Attachments
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG (76.44 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
IMG_0258.PNG
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Yep, my Buddy Chris BR is a Go-Getter. Pretty dang good shooter too!!! :thumbup:
chris30br

Post by chris30br »

JTown21 wrote:My buddy Chris doesn't let his limitation to a chair get in the way of anything....especially hunting. We primarily hunt turkeys from a blind but if that isn't feasible he carries camo netting that he can cover up with as well. Chris will even get out of his chair and belly crawl to get into position if need be, and has killed lots of birds in doing so. Turkeys, waterfowl, and deer have all seen their demise from Chris.
When I got back from hunting with him in KY, I told Chris how impressed I was with his abilities, how he never complained about anything, and he can be such an inspiration to other disabled hunters. This was Chris' response, "I do try and be an inspiration to all hunters, disabled and walking, it shows everyone not to take things for granted as I once did a thought that I was indestructible and would never get hurt at what I was doing and that's not true, but what is true that no one can tell you it can't be done cause I'm one to prove em wrong. It's been taking me many years to fine tune my hunting skills from a chair. I still learn each and every day and that my friend is what keeps driving me to perfection.
Il never be perfect but I'll die trying. There will never be no quit in my vocabulary, if I can't get it done one way, I'll find another. Hunting in a chair is a task in itself, consistently harvesting big game in a chair is a whole new aspect. I love to hunt and live to see myself and family and friends hunting with me be successful also and that's what drives me to get better at my game each and every day. Life on this earth is not granted".
I think y'all get the picture of his character and drive. We have bigger plans now as I would like for Chris to pursue other big game species with me. I feel very fortunate to have met and hunt with Chris.
Eric,
Thanks man for the kind words. It's family and friends that has gotten me where I am today. Like Iv said befor Il never be perfect at anything I do, I just want everyone to know that if there is a will there is a way. When the going gets tuff the tuff get going. I do have my ups and downs of days and having family and friends as I do that continue to believe anything is possible as i do makes the hard days a lot easier. I will always look up to you as a big brother and thanks again for everything that you do!
chris30br

Post by chris30br »

Shooter wrote:Yep, my Buddy Chris BR is a Go-Getter. Pretty dang good shooter too!!! :thumbup:
Heck Tommy you know a good shooter cant make a bad gun look good. The guns shoot way better than I can! lol I just ain't smart enough to now when to squeeze the trigger at the right time
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

I have guided a few but not with wheel chairs...amputees on crutches...one Vietnam vet minus half a leg and one arm...mostly blind hunt with a bi pod that I will move for him if needed...I just try and think of access ahead of time and stick to fields mostly. Scouting really comes into play more than ever...very rewarding experiences!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Gobbler Talk”