Darwinism and turkey hunters

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Darwinism and turkey hunters

Post by GLS »

pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Darwinism and turkey hunters

Post by pedro »

Fanners beware. Be safe and don't be a statistic. Not just the reapers, all of us. Always be sure of your target.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I can't seem to get it to load, but I assume some fanners got shot.
I remember the first time I ever heard of this. I said, you got to be kidding!!!!
There ain't enough money in the world for me to get behind a fan during turkey season.
Where the heck are peoples mentality that does this??? :shock:
I have several close friends that do this, and I think the world of em. I just shake my head at em.
I know it is probably fun and I'm sure it works,... but you guys are flat out asking for it. Too many out there will do whatever to kill a turkey, just so they can join the group that says, yep, I got a turkey.
The WMA I've been hunting on, I bet you I have heard no less than 8 shots that were, No Doubt whatsoever, shot off the roost before flydown!!! These are the same goofballs that would shoot at a fan in a heartbeat.
There are more people out there than you realize that will do stuff like this. :(
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Not for me either shooter, I can think of several less painful ways to commit suicide than that.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Took a while for that to get here. Wonder how big the visible beard was on the turkey he was shooting at I hope they take away his gun. But they won't it's the guys with the fans fault of course. Sad really ! Still not sure why we're flat out asking for it but then so are you just by taking to the woods with some of the idiots out there. Also they are hunting as a group he didn't know they had a fan to use. Too bad there's not better info for us to jump to conclusions on.
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

I will admit I have fanned and have been very successful at doing it. It's very effective at the right time and situation. That being said, I only use this tactic when the time presents itself and most importantly, I hunt my own private property and know and communicate with my neighbors. It's actually more alarming that this accident happened within the same hunting group.
As we all know hunting accidents do happen and it's very unfortunate. I believe that the hunter whom pulled the trigger(especially within scattergun range) should be held responsible as identifying the target before the trigger is pulled is a commandment in hunting itself. As Shooter mentioned, some hunters just get cought up in killing a bird than applying safe hunting habits. More so, it seems the "weekend warriors" and a lack of hunter education is to blame as well. I pray for both the victim and shooter.
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

I've done it. A lot harder than it looks. I'm not personally a big fan of my self doing it but if it's what you like have at it.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That's pretty funny. I remember when we used to talk about not having any red, white or blue on us. Now people are doing their best to actually look like turkeys. Play stupid games...
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

MMMMMMMM .. do you really know who you're huntin' with :o :slap: :scratch: :roll:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
rhs341

Post by rhs341 »

Man I feel for those guys..... had one of my best friends get shot about 10 years ago ....hunting with a friend,
he was hunting with a friend, friend comes walking down a road, he was sitting by a tree working a bird that was gobbling, he waves his hand to let the friend know where he was sitting and the "friend" shoots him, not once but twice......UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!
I will never understand how these things happen....he's lucky he survived, lost an eye and still has #6's in his face and chest....
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The temptation when seeing another hunter in the woods is to signal with a hand or whistle so as not to spook the bird. This practice is considered to be dangerous as happened above, not that the shootee above should share the fault in being shot. The better practice is to speak clearly and loudly that you are nearby. A buddy recently encountered a bad mannered, dangerous novice in the woods last week. Buddy was standing by his truck pre-dawn. Idiot with a gun pulled around, stopped 300 yards away and got out of truck. Buddy flashed his lights, idiot didn't move. Bird gobbled near buddy, but not between him and idiot. Buddy set up within 75 yards of bird and it answered him and gobbled on. In a few minutes, idiot is seen creeping into an open area towards birds. Bird shuts up. For about 5 minutes, the idiot squawks on his box non-stop. Finally my buddy had enough, got behind the tree he was sitting against and as loud as he could announce said more or less: "if you would take five minutes and learn how to call without setting your box on fire, you might learn something about turkey hunting" all of which was mixed in with profanity, etc. This was public land, but most of the old timers respect a person beating them to a spot and give a wide berth so as not to go to the same bird. Over the years I've read and heard that this isn't the practice in some states where it's every man for himself without regard to who was parked there first. I would give up the game if I had to endure hunting in the presence of such.
Within the last two weeks a game warden and another man were looking for the man's hunting partner who was presumed lost. When the warden and man approached the lost man, he shot both of them mistaking them for a turkey. This happened in Greene County, Georgia and hasn't been widely reported the news appearing only in small weekly newspapers in the area. Gil
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

Disclaimer: I don't fan.

But. Lots of people are doing it. How many accidents have happened while using this "suicide tactic?" Two?

Almost every other shooting accident during turkey season, this year as well as going WAY back through history, is some guy leaning against a tree, getting shot by a slob who's trying to stalk turkey sounds. In other words, traditional turkey hunting.

I don't see how fanning IN A FIELD, in states where no rifles are permitted, is dangerous. Especially if you're out away from the field edge. I do think it's crazy to do it in a wooded area, as those in the attached story did.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Just because rifles are illegal it's not unheard of for some nimrods to use them anyway. I've read of arrests where rifle pot shots were taken at the robo gobbler some DNR agencies have utilized to arrest roadside hunters. You can't assume law abiding hunters are in the woods along with you or on the edge of a field. Poachers no know boundaries of property or the law.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”