Got a nice one...

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Got a nice one...

Post by Reloader »

It’s been a slow season here at home. The season has been in for a couple weeks and I’ve managed to get out for 6 days of hunting. Didn’t get on anything the first 4 days, but I had heard a bird way off gobble sparsely a couple mornings. I did some scouting in that direction and found some tom tracks in a logging rd, but many other hunters were on him as well and I still hadn’t narrowed down where he was roosting as he just didn’t talk much. Friday morning I started where I’d found the tracks and I heard him again, but only about 500yds out this time, so I humped it in that direction and set up on an old logging road. He was lonely this time and would gobble occasionally at cutting. I kept making moves and honing in on his locale until I’d made it to about 150yds. He was in an ideal location to see me as well as any other hunter trying to make a move, up on a hill in the broad open of a small pine thinning not far from a couple of main gravel roads. I eased out as close as I dared to the open area and stopped when I could see to shoot in a few openings about 40yds or so. I’d finally gotten in his zone and he started to talk. He’d hammer at everything I threw at him, but wouldn’t move from his vantage point. I gave him the silent treatment and after 15mins or so, I could finally see glimpses of his fan about 100yds out. He strutted down the hill to about 45yds and was about 5 yds from being in a lane for a clear shot. I had the gun ready and the nerves had set in heavy, my heart was pounding so hard I could hear it and a million thoughts were running through my head. I hadn’t gotten a bird on this particular club in about 3 years and it was finally about to happen, it’s like it made me even more nervous. Just about the time he got in the open at 40, something spooked him from behind and he came hauling butt by me crossing each lane way too fast for a shot. I was crushed, all that time over the years, finally about to seal the deal, and something spooks him near the moment of truth! Oh well, that’s turkey hunting. I stayed put for a while, but he never sounded again, so I made a move and still no luck. About 11am I decided to go to the same spot and give myself a bit better view for shooting. Time passed and nothing sounded, then my eye lids grew heavy. I was struggling to stay awake, I’d do the church bob then perk up and let out some hen talk, then get sleepy again. I needed to head home about 1, so decided to leave about 12:30, but every time I looked at my watch, I decided to give it a few more minutes. About 12:50 I was about to doze off and I heard a limb break, so perked up. After a few minutes I thought it was nothing, then spotted that red head bobbing through the trees! It happened fast at that point and as soon as that rascal gave me a clear shot I let him have it. Victory is oh so sweet!

Turned out to be a decent 3yo:

Ya’ll have a good one and good luck,

Loder
taylorjones20

Re: Got a nice one...

Post by taylorjones20 »

Congrats!
Tennessee Lead

Post by Tennessee Lead »

Very good story
Congratulations to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MAK

Post by MAK »

Way to stay with it - those all morning noon day kills are special.
MAK
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Way to stick with it. Congrats :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Yerple

Post by Yerple »

Congrats!
Shellwaster

Post by Shellwaster »

Fantastic hunt. I know that church bob all too well but my dreams always turn out to be just that unlike how your hunt ended. Seems like I get my best rest in the woods.
C.kimzey95

Post by C.kimzey95 »

Great bird and congratulations!
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Congrats :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
hookinembig

Post by hookinembig »

Awesome write up. Great job on sticking with it and pulling off the win.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Very nice
Momma said "kill that turkey"
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

WTG Ronnie!
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Thanks guys!
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

good stuff - thanks for sharing!
arhuntingfool

Post by arhuntingfool »

Nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

dang glad you got one man. its tough sometimes, no doubt. there are a lot of disagreements among turkey hunters on what skill will kill you the most turkeys. woodsmanship... calling ability...ect.. but, in my not so humble opinion :D , the thing that will kill you the most turkeys are determination and attitude. keep it up man. :thumbup:
El Sicario
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Nice!!! WTG :thumbup:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”