Best shot trap material?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
LAturkey

Best shot trap material?

Post by LAturkey »

Building my own shot trap and just wanted some opinions on what material is best to use to stop tss. Would like to keep it cheap if possible :thumbup:
doublegobble1

Re: Best shot trap material?

Post by doublegobble1 »

LAturkey wrote:Building my own shot trap and just wanted some opinions on what material is best to use to stop tss. Would like to keep it cheap if possible :thumbup:
I found a roll of the ribbed rubber runner on clearance at Lowes. Works pretty well except for pieces coming off and making it harder to separate it from the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doublegobble1

Post by doublegobble1 »

LAturkey

Post by LAturkey »

How are you getting in out of it gets stuck?
doublegobble1

Post by doublegobble1 »

LAturkey wrote:How are you getting in out of it gets stuck?
With my limited experience very little gets stuck in the runner. But I am shooting 7.5s if that makes a difference. What does get stuck I lay a magnet beside it and pop it out with a knife. I did notice less gets stuck when placing it in the trap with the ribs to the back.

Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Some gets stuck every time I use my trap. Some of it gets knocked out the next time I shoot and some does not. I can live with leaving some in the rubber until it gets knocked out...it's not like I need every single pellet back right now anyway.
doublegobble1

Post by doublegobble1 »

Jamey wrote:Some gets stuck every time I use my trap. Some of it gets knocked out the next time I shoot and some does not. I can live with leaving some in the rubber until it gets knocked out...it's not like I need every single pellet back right now anyway.
I agree but as I try different sizes I would like to try to keep each size separate.

pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

I use pvc shower pan liner. Works for me.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

How many layers of the pvc?
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

doublegobble1 wrote:
LAturkey wrote:Building my own shot trap and just wanted some opinions on what material is best to use to stop tss. Would like to keep it cheap if possible :thumbup:
I found a roll of the ribbed rubber runner on clearance at Lowes. Works pretty well except for pieces coming off and making it harder to separate it from the shot.

your gonna read this and call me crazy, your gonna try it and call it genius...
Take an empty plastic buffer container from BPI, pour the reclaim inside it and shake it up!
don't know what type of filmy residue that is left inside that container from the buffer, but that plastic on the shot shakes loose from the shot and sticks to the walls inside the container. you can scrape the plastic off the inside of the container walls just like getting peanut butter out of a jar.

....if your shooting 9's couple layers of cardboard is plenty sufficient.
doublegobble1

Post by doublegobble1 »

OneShot wrote:
doublegobble1 wrote:

your gonna read this and call me crazy, your gonna try it and call it genius...
Take an empty plastic buffer container from BPI, pour the reclaim inside it and shake it up!
don't know what type of filmy residue that is left inside that container from the buffer, but that plastic on the shot shakes loose from the shot and sticks to the walls inside the container. you can scrape the plastic off the inside of the container walls just like getting peanut butter out of a jar.

....if your shooting 9's couple layers of cardboard is plenty sufficient.
That sounds like it will work great! I have been putting the shot in a plastic bag, laying it on a table, rolling it under my hand and that does the same sort of thing. Static I guess. The problem is after a little vigorous rolling I tend to get a hole in the bag. What's more aggravating than that is separating the shot from the larger pieces of rubber that come off with shot stuck in them.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”