Pot call grippers

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
JTown21

Pot call grippers

Post by JTown21 »

I love to strike a pot and have various versions from wood to Corian. I run into the problem of not having a solid grip on the pot (especially with gloves on) and having it slip and slide a bit within my grip. So my question to you call makers and pot hunters is, does adding an adhesive gripping product to the outside of the pot (such as an adhesive tacky rubber or something to give me better grip) dilute the call volume/clearity/effectiveness? Sorry if it's a stupid question but it's always been a small, but frustrating, issue when calling.
crenshawco

Re: Pot call grippers

Post by crenshawco »

I just cut the finger tips of my gloves out. I like to have good feel calling and on the trigger
Red Clay

Post by Red Clay »

JTown21 wrote:I love to strike a pot and have various versions from wood to Corian. I run into the problem of not having a solid grip on the pot (especially with gloves on) and having it slip and slide a bit within my grip. So my question to you call makers and pot hunters is, does adding an adhesive gripping product to the outside of the pot (such as an adhesive tacky rubber or something to give me better grip) dilute the call volume/clearity/effectiveness? Sorry if it's a stupid question but it's always been a small, but frustrating, issue when calling.
I would suggest buying gloves with rubber on the palms for traction before modifying each pot call. I cut the pointer fingers off of most gloves too.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I get the best resonance from a pot call by using fingerless gloves and only holding the pot w/ the tips of my fingers. You can change the pitch and resonance of the pot by adding more "finger pressure and surface area coverage ". A higher pitched call can become an old hen or gobbler by just cupping the pot.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Something like this or a smaller diameter call might work for you.

55esox

Post by 55esox »

Maybe a big rubber band around the outside will work.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Just don't wear gloves.
Ultimate Predator
Tennessee Lead

Post by Tennessee Lead »

I cut out half of the fingers in my gloves for a better grip and feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
misfire

Post by misfire »

Depends on what you use to put on the outside of the call. Anything that tightens up on the call will effect the sound. A checkered call like the BB customs shown above will help. I turn a finger groove in my pots just for that reason. I started this year making that groove even more pronounced
Attachments
boc bk (600 x 418).jpg
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

Much appreciated input fellas. Trust me, if I do not have to wear gloves I don't. Please realize I'm in the northern part of Illinois and it's not uncommon for our early seasons to have snow on the ground...and it's damn cold at 4:45am. I need to keep my fingers warm for dexterity reasons....frozen fingers and I can't even feel the peg in my hand. I did try a thick width, tight rubber band around the pot and it did help. Didn't notice any sound difference either so maybe this cheap fix without altering the pot will work.
LeadSlinger

Post by LeadSlinger »

The rubber "grip dot" gloves (cloth with the rubber dots on the palm, thumb and fingers) work pretty well and they even make them in camo.
Bob
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

MKW wrote:Just don't wear gloves.
What!??? You can actually hunt without being completely covered in camo?

Years ago I run off on a hunting trip with no gloves. My zip up mesh jacket received a thumb hole and never wore gloves during that trip.

Only reason I wear gloves is to keep my hands warm when it's chilly out.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Yeah, I never thought about wearing gloves for warmth during turkey season. It's not something I need to do often. Here are my gloves...
Attachments
WP_20160312_001 (Medium).jpg
Ultimate Predator
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

Great idea MKW.....how easily does it clean up off ya? Ever use it on your face?
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

JTown21 wrote:Great idea MKW.....how easily does it clean up off ya? Ever use it on your face?
Thanks, but it wasn't my idea. Ol'Timers used to use burnt cork and I'm kinda old-school. It comes off pretty easily, especially since I keep baby wipes in the truck instead of toilet paper. :toothy7:
Now that...the flushable wipes...is the best change I ever made for turkey hunting! :thumbup:
Ultimate Predator

Return to “Gobbler Talk”