CAMOS-Fashion statement or effective

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Usahuntingear

CAMOS-Fashion statement or effective

Post by Usahuntingear »

Over the last year I have done alot of research on camos. New research has proven it isnt the leaves and trees, thats just how good you want to look. I am a firm believer, its not so much in the camo, its how good can you hunt.

We recently got hooked on M2D, does it have leaves and trees, no, but it works well. I have chosen this camo of choice, no matter what or where your hunting. The other reason is as far as our products, its the best made fabric we have ever stocked.
I dont know how this camo works, but we like it becuase you dont have to think ahead, Im hunting hardwoods, or pines or fields, this camo seems to fit in no matter what as well as can be expected.

I have talked with several h unters on the phone the last several weeks and they agree, the leaves and trees are a fashion statement. One hunter told me,"the hunters want to look good when they go into mahogany ridge for a brew and some lunch", LOL.
Here are a few photos of tis camo in action, I think it speaks for itself.
Another reason why Im writing this article, I got an email from a hunter that didnt read our website correctly, he thought we only offered M2D and wrote, "I would order something but I dont hunt in fields of straw", i thought that was kinda uncalled for, besides the fact he must not have looked very well, there are more camos then M2D, oh well, cant win them all. Check out these pics. I jsut thought to write this might clear up some myths about camo, I do not recieve any royalties from M2D, actually I have to pay a little more for the M2D, I though I would add that, becuase thats what some may think that I am pushing for M2D, I am, becuase it works.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: CAMOS-Fashion statement or effective

Post by Hognutz »

I personally believe that camo is overrated. It is a multi-milion/billion dollar business that markets itself very well. It has most hunters convinced that if they don't look exactly like the tree that they are sitting next to, they will be busted. I am convinced that movement and backround have as much to do with concealment as the color of your clothes, or more. If we only knew how many turkeys were killed by hunters in blue jean farmer bibs, the numbers would be staggering. Does camo work? Of course. Is one brand better that the other? I doubt it..If you got it, wear it, but to squabble about what kind of camo is on a decoy bag.. That is just crazy talk!! As always, YMMV....Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

It's more a fashion statement.
Usahuntingear

Post by Usahuntingear »

I couldnt have said it better myself. Thanks for chipping in.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

You can wear blue jeans and a bright orange shirt and kill birds all day long if you don't move.
I just like to look cool in my all camo leafy bugtamer. But then again. Thank god for the bug tamer. Mosquitos are horrible here in florida...thermacell=thermawhat???
Usahuntingear

Post by Usahuntingear »

well thats ok. everyone should own a leafy bug tamer.
Hambone79

Post by Hambone79 »

90% of my clothes are camo but have to wear it for work and I wear old uniforms to hunt in also camo is to break up your outline and fashion for some I guess
Usahuntingear

Post by Usahuntingear »

speaking of clotheswe have a guy that 6 foot 8, we have to make hime a pair of pants from the M2D and he wants gloves, this should be interesting.She made me a pair of pj's from some fleece I had, they came out great, so I think we will be ok.Use them for camping.
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

To each there own I guess this means you are going to stop selling camo? Start selling blue jeans and tree shirts to turkey hunt in because thats all u need?
Double beard guide service LLC
Usahuntingear

Post by Usahuntingear »

Cont520 wrote:To each there own I guess this means you are going to stop selling camo? Start selling blue jeans and tree shirts to turkey hunt in because thats all u need?
Maybe just make fleece pj's. Get out of bed and go hunting.
Usahuntingear

Post by Usahuntingear »

Some food for thought and wallet..i will use what was said to me last month for a reference...
hunter calls me and wants some of our gear, but only in the New Mossy oak that is out(cant reof the member the name), explained that we do not handle MOS or real tree and never will.He got upset. no sale..
Now if he wanted this gear becuase it looked really nice, like on a teeshirt, thats fine, pay the price because its a new camo and he likes the looks of it on him, BUT, if he is buying it becuase its a new camo and it is going to do the best job ev er in the woods and thats his new camo, he wasted his money, turkeys can see that new stuff just as much as a Dollar store tee shirt. Now this hunter just wasted his hard earned money and thinks he is getting something that is even going to work better yet. I just dont like these companys getting richer and decieving the people. Below is a pic of a guys tee that 99.9 percent camo you buy looks like. Which brings me to another idea , I am going to get my hands on a black light and check my new camos, if it gives off no UV, that will be great, if it does, I may start removing the UV and then advertise UV free.This just may mean something if the hunter knows for sure he is going into the woods and not glowing blue, becuase I will gurantee it. Just a thought.

CLipped this from a science article:
Now if humans glow blue due to the presence of UV brighteners in our clothes then turkeys with their incredible vision see us as bright bluish white if our camo is loaded with UV Brighteners. And hear this…our camo is loaded with brighteners. Go buy a black light and check for yourself. I recently took a portable black light into a few big hunting stores and was amazed. Now that all of our camo is made in China we are in trouble. UV brighteners are commonly added to the base cloth that our camo is printed on. We can’t see it without a black light.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Is camo extremely important, not really, I wear Khaki pants for most of turkey season.. But as has been stated camo can help you get away with a little movement when needed..

Personally I believe the best camo patterns are the ones that are simply a base pattern, Tre Bark, Nat Gear, Bottomland.. Most other camos have twigs, sticks, leaves, shadows etc.. And most likely it does not matter, but why would I want artificial leaves, twigs, sticks and shadows on my clothing, when where I decide to sit provides the leaves, twigs, sticks, shadows over my base camo pattern and provides a more realistic perception..

I also think if your face or hands do not glare and you are not fidgeting gloves and headnet are also not as important as some portray them to be.. Look at the natural tone of some of the things in the woods and they are pretty close to the color of your skin..

If turkeys were simply scared of off colored foreign objects in the woods they would never quit running.. Look at the number of plastic bags and other garbage on the ground and stuck in trees etc.

Here is a camo I stumbled across today, I think it would provide an excellent base pattern..

http://www.elusioncamo.com/bdu-units-an ... stems.html
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

Usahuntingear wrote:
Cont520 wrote:To each there own I guess this means you are going to stop selling camo? Start selling blue jeans and tree shirts to turkey hunt in because thats all u need?
Maybe just make fleece pj's. Get out of bed and go hunting.
Lol great answer. I personally don't think you have to use 3d camo aka leafy wear and ask that butevery advantage helps wether its for confidence or just cover
Double beard guide service LLC
Usahuntingear

Post by Usahuntingear »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Is camo extremely important, not really, I wear Khaki pants for most of turkey season.. But as has been stated camo can help you get away with a little movement when needed..

Personally I believe the best camo patterns are the ones that are simply a base pattern, Tre Bark, Nat Gear, Bottomland.. Most other camos have twigs, sticks, leaves, shadows etc.. And most likely it does not matter, but why would I want artificial leaves, twigs, sticks and shadows on my clothing, when where I decide to sit provides the leaves, twigs, sticks, shadows over my base camo pattern and provides a more realistic perception..

I also think if your face or hands do not glare and you are not fidgeting gloves and headnet are also not as important as some portray them to be.. Look at the natural tone of some of the things in the woods and they are pretty close to the color of your skin..

If turkeys were simply scared of off colored foreign objects in the woods they would never quit running.. Look at the number of plastic bags and other garbage on the ground and stuck in trees etc.

Here is a camo I stumbled across today, I think it would provide an excellent base pattern..

http://www.elusioncamo.com/bdu-units-an ... stems.html
Ahh yes, I liked elusion camo, it came out last year so I called the guy immediately, Im not sure it was even out yet. Well after a short conversation and what he wanted for his camo fabric, guess that ended that. But I agree on the base and that camo.
Ps, i get 25.50 for a gunsock, I quickly figured it in my head while on the phone with the owner of "the best camo produced in the world", he states, it would have cost me like 72.00 to produce one gunsock...LOL, dont think I would have sold too many:)).I havce the opportunity to buy some very well made old style camo fabric, but I know it wont sell, think they call it netherlands pattern.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Usahuntingear wrote: Ahh yes, I liked elusion camo, it came out last year so I called the guy immediately, Im not sure it was even out yet. Well after a short conversation and what he wanted for his camo fabric, guess that ended that. But I agree on the base and that camo.
Ps, i get 25.50 for a gunsock, I quickly figured it in my head while on the phone with the owner of "the best camo produced in the world", he states, it would have cost me like 72.00 to produce one gunsock...LOL, dont think I would have sold too many:)).I havce the opportunity to buy some very well made old style camo fabric, but I know it wont sell, think they call it netherlands pattern.
Maybe he is facing some of the same cost of production problems that so many small and new companies such as yourself are facing and thus the reason for his high priced quote..
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

I believe in Mossy Oak Obsession's effectiveness! I was sitting against the base of a live oak in a cow pasture with nothing between me and the gobbler but 4-6" tall grass (no brush around the tree at all but it was wider than my shoulders at least). The sun was also pretty much shining on my face so my camo had to play a pretty large role in keeping the tom calm. For some it might be a fashion statement but I personally believe in my camo!
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Usahuntingear

Post by Usahuntingear »

Okay, I really hate to paa this up, but can only afford to get one, im sure you guys dont like any of them, but this stuff is 1000 cordura and fabric count doesnt get any higher then that, to top it off its coated with polyurethane on the back side...so lets say these are the only 3 camos there are and you had to use one, which one, 1, 2, or 3??? I cant make up my mind.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Gonna go with one.. The digital camo is newer and will probably sell better..
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I would go with #1, also. For the same reasons.
Splittoe

Post by Splittoe »

I like 3. Just because it's old school and what my Grandpa wore turkey hunting up until about 3 years ago.
Usahuntingear

Post by Usahuntingear »

Splittoe wrote:I like 3. Just because it's old school and what my Grandpa wore turkey hunting up until about 3 years ago.
Yep, back years ago, that was the only camo you could buy.Thank you for chiming in. Tom
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I'm sure that there are a lot of guys out there that like the "old school" camo. It is proven to work.
Usahuntingear

Post by Usahuntingear »

Hognutz wrote:I'm sure that there are a lot of guys out there that like the "old school" camo. It is proven to work.
Well the textile mill called me and all of it is going fast, so I ordered the Digital. I have a back pack to make for a donation for a wounded vet, I think I will make it out of this and see if I can dress it up with some fabric I have that has the cut out little oak leaves through it, that should be pretty neat.

I also had bought some camo in a fine mesh, I have been wanted to try something is to make a curtain that will be attached to the top of the pack, pull it over you, it will be split down the middle to get the gun out. 30 by 60 inches, I tried it, it covers the front of you at least and a little on the sides.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

What are you going to make with it.
Mike

Return to “Gobbler Talk”