Special Ops Xcursions

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Special Ops Xcursions

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I just recently became aware of this group, and I thought many of you would like to know about it as well. I am in no way affiliated (other than volunteering as a guide a couple days this spring) but this seems like one of the best programs I have heard of. I got some of this information from their website (click here) and also spoke with one of the main directors out of Nashville. (They also have a Facebook if you're into that - facebook.com/specialopsxcursions). Special Ops Xcursions is 501(c)(3) non-profit that arranges hunts, fishing trips, and other outdoor opportunities for active duty special operations soldiers. It's not wounded warriors (which is also a great program). These are non-injured, active duty, special ops guys who spend over 200 days per year either training or deployed, doing the heavy lifting and dirty work to keep us alive and blissful here at home. The trips are arranged through the soldiers' chain of command. It is considered a Mental Wellnes Program (that may not be the proper military term, but that is how it was explained to me). It gives these guys a much needed (understatement) chance to relax every once in a while. The operation is based in nashville (the soldiers are based at various military bases). Xcursions also has a lodge in NW TN (near the dyer/obion county area), and they do several hunts near there. They try to provide full-service hunts (lodging, food, guides, etc) free of charge. They do hunts throughout Tennessee and in a few bordere states. The idea is to provide the best experience possible. They want hunts with one guide per guest, but most of their hunts are hosted by ordinary people who are willing to share some time and opportunity, not commercial guides. (That is not to say that a commercial operation couldn't accomodate this). The hunts are NOT filmed (beyond what they do themselves for propmotional clips like that on the website) This is not a hunting show or PR opportunity. I was told that discretion and annonymity are important. So you wont be posting pictures here or on facebook, etc. (If you know any special ops guys, you know they don't talk about it or promote it). This is just a chance to give back a little.

The man who owns the land I hunt heard about this and jumped at the opportunity. He is donating a couple turkey hunts this spring and asked me to guide. He is also doing some duck hunts next winter. I, for one, cannot wait to spend time with these guys. (Badass American heros). I realize that most people don't have land and lodges, etc, but many do. If you are around the TN area and in position to help with something like this, give it some thought. Send me a PM and I will put you in contact with the right person.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly

Return to “Gobbler Talk”